So Eastman Has Started Making Classicals...

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
CJguitar

So Eastman Has Started Making Classicals...

Post by CJguitar » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:22 am

Eastman Guitars has jumped into the world of classical guitar making recently. Looking at what they have so far, I'm actually fairly impressed. The CL40S and above has an Engelmann spruce top, Indian Rosewood back and sides, all topped off with a nitrocellulose finish (no fantastic plastic polyurethane). The retail price is very attractive for these instruments too. I just wish there was a risk free way that I could try one out.

Anyone encountered one yet?

Eastman CL81S with a raised fingerboard:

Classical Guitar Magazine article:

http://classicalguitarmagazine.com/new- ... versatile/

Ceder top CL82

[media]https://youtu.be/I_33tVrMcs0[/media]
Last edited by CJguitar on Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dofpic

Re: So Eastman Has Started Making Classicals...

Post by Dofpic » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:25 am

have not tried but they do make great values in archtop jazz guitars.
2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple)2018 Simon Ambridge Model 40 Satinwood. 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce, 2017 Richard Reynoso,spruce/maple

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:35 pm

I really wanted to try the CL82 for the multiscale, but I can't find them for sale anywhere.
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:27 pm

Wow, very nice classical guitar! Thank you for the pictures!

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:28 pm

CJguitar wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:22 am
Eastman Guitars has jumped into the world of classical guitar making recently. Looking at what they have so far, I'm actually fairly impressed. The CL40S and above has an Engelmann spruce top, Indian Rosewood back and sides, all topped off with a nitrocellulose finish (no fantastic plastic polyurethane). The retail price is very attractive for these instruments too. I just wish there was a risk free way that I could try one out.

Eastman CL81S with a raised fingerboard:

Classical Guitar Magazine article:

http://classicalguitarmagazine.com/new- ... versatile/

Ceder top CL82

[media]https://youtu.be/I_33tVrMcs0[/media]
Very nice playing in this video! Thank you for uploading it! The guitar sounds really good.

montana

Post by montana » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:28 pm

Looks nice. Just wondering , is it made in an Eastman factory or is it made for Eastman by another manufacturer to put their name on?

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:40 pm

My son's archtop was made in China so I am guessing there.
2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple)2018 Simon Ambridge Model 40 Satinwood. 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce, 2017 Richard Reynoso,spruce/maple

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:24 am

My favorite music store is an Eastman dealer. Hopefully they will get one for the store. If they are anything like their electric and steel string acoustic guitars, it should be good quality.

mrverveus

Post by mrverveus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:07 pm

I have played their Gibson J-45 lookalike steel string guitars, which compared very well to the "real" thing. Based on that, I would expect the Eastman classical guitars to be very good quality and value.

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:55 pm

Just received this email from Eastman when enquired about their classical models:

"Hello Steve,

Unfortunately we had to stop production on our classical guitar line due to production restraints. Our plan is to hopefully continue the line next year if everything goes according to plan.

Thank you,
Eastman Guitars "

This really bumbed me out. I have the T184MX and love it. My local music store has a CL10S and 20C in stock, was thinking about grabbing one just in case.

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:37 am

CJguitar wrote:

I searched their website and didn't find a single nylon sring guitar. Different Eastman?

CJguitar

Post by CJguitar » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:47 pm

Altophile wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:37 am
CJguitar wrote:

I searched their website and didn't find a single nylon sring guitar. Different Eastman?
I can't either. Something must of happened; either they've back-tracked on the idea on making classical guitars or something else is going on. Eastman does have guitar models that aren't available in the US, so maybe they're going to focus on the Europe and Asian market only?

Edit: Whoops. Didn't see this post:
SteveD wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:55 pm
Just received this email from Eastman when enquired about their classical models:

"Hello Steve,

Unfortunately we had to stop production on our classical guitar line due to production restraints. Our plan is to hopefully continue the line next year if everything goes according to plan.

Thank you,
Eastman Guitars "

This really bumbed me out. I have the T184MX and love it. My local music store has a CL10S and 20C in stock, was thinking about grabbing one just in case.
Bummer.

Return to “Public Space”