Playing Hymns on Classical Guitar

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Eberhard Mueller

Re: Playing Hymns on Classical Guitar

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:55 am

A new find is:
Sleepers, Awake!: Twenty Hymns For Classical Guitar by Kenneth Davidson. It comes as a compendium or divided into 3 books. Book 1 is master level, book 2 is student level and book 3 is arranged for voice and guitar accompaniment.
Neil Douglas 2001 (German Spruce / German Maple)
Neil Douglas 1992 (Engelmann Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood)
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

Eberhard Mueller

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:57 pm

Eberhard Mueller wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:55 am
A new find is:
Sleepers, Awake!: Twenty Hymns For Classical Guitar by Kenneth Davidson. It comes as a compendium or divided into 3 books. Book 1 is master level, book 2 is student level and book 3 is arranged for voice and guitar accompaniment.
For what it is worth, the ebook edition is amazingly cheap and it will give you the overview of the three book compilation. I also chose to order the paper copy of book 2. I'll try to attach the table of contents for the compendium:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Eberhard Mueller on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

FHC

Post by FHC » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:37 pm

Sleepers, Awake!: Twenty Hymns For Classical Guitar by Kenneth Davidson

Looks like a great resource. Thanks for suggesting it.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:06 am

Eberhard Mueller wrote:
A new find is:
Thanks for your input. I have just ordered one from Book Depository for Singapore $15.80, free shipping.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

DaveLloyd

Post by DaveLloyd » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:42 pm

I don't think it's been mentioned (but I've only quickly scanned through this thread) . . .

Take a look at Edson Lopes' channel on YouTube. He has a few videos of hymns / worship music — old and modern. His videos usually have a link to his transcription of the piece which you can download free.

ETA. I should have mentioned that most of his pieces will probably be intermediate level, or above. They might be in the category of " I don't mind building up a library to aspire to"

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:58 pm

Not my typical repertoire, but Michael Raven (borderline classical/english folk player) has arranged the Welsh Hymn tune 'Merthyr Tydfil', it is in the collection 'Popular Classics for guitar'.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Eberhard Mueller

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:19 am

Have a look at Robert Lunn's web site and You Tube page. He has both simplified and difficult hymn arrangements offered free on the web site. Simplified scores are incorporated in 3 separate volumes, among other pieces. As well, there is a dedicated volume of hymns on the difficult side. They all sound good as he demonstrates a lot of them on his you tube page.
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

teddyofarrell

Post by teddyofarrell » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:17 pm

Thank you "David Norton" for your suggestions regarding hymn arranging for the classical guitar! Can't wait to try it!
All the best,
Ted
:merci:
2016 Cordoba Lmtd SP12 Spruce
2001 Hector Marrero, Cedar
"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart." Andres Segovia

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:56 pm

I feel like the focus of this thread is solo hymn arrangements. I'm interested in arrangements of hymns for voice and guitar. Does anyone have suggestions for arrangements of hymns for voice and guitar? I have Laurindo Almeida's "Praise Every Morning", "A Selection of Popular Sacred Songs" by James Flint Jr and "Great Hymns for Guitar" by Mel Bay. Anymore suggestions?

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:01 pm

Eberhard Mueller wrote:
A new find is:
Book 3 is what I want. Thank you!

Eberhard Mueller

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:26 am

Eberhard Mueller wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:19 am
Have a look at Robert Lunn's web site and You Tube page. He has both simplified and difficult hymn arrangements offered free on the web site. Simplified scores are incorporated in 3 separate volumes, among other pieces. As well, there is a dedicated volume of hymns on the difficult side. They all sound good as he demonstrates a lot of them on his you tube page.
Pity, that these are no longer free to download! But you can audit individual pieces and decide whether to buy.
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

Tom Phillips

Post by Tom Phillips » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:51 am

If your goal is primarily to play Christian music, you might want to consider taking the Christopher Parkening approach (i.e. learning lots of Bach). Here's an interesting video of him explaining his thoughts on playing guitar music that glorifies God.

Return to “Public Space”