Luthier Student Level Guitars.

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
RicardoMarcos

Luthier Student Level Guitars.

Post by RicardoMarcos » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:03 pm

Hello,
Does anybody has experience to comment and help me on a ±$3,000 range luthier student level guitar?
I have read about some from Francisco Esteve (model 12 or Adalid) and Antonio Picado (Model 60 or 62), all from Spain. Also J. Castelluccia (model G8 or 60th Anniversary) from France and Armin Hanika (model 58 or 60) from Germany.
They all seem to produce good instruments. But who's more consistent, considering that it might be difficult to try all of them and also that I might have to order through their websites?
Any other suggestions?
Your comments will be mostly appreciated! Thanks.

Adrian Allan

Re: Luthier Student Level Guitars.

Post by Adrian Allan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:12 pm

Surely at that price, it is better to use a young luthier who can produce a professional level guitar for a similar price. If you contact me, I can provide details of one such maker, or you can watch me playing the instrument on this website in the Romantic period section of performances.

Or you could get a high quality guitar second hand of professional level from a better known and older maker - there are a few around that price in this website in the guitars for sale section.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:16 pm

Not quite sure if you can call those models true "luthier" instruments, though I personally don't think it's all that relevant. The real question is what is the best guitar you can get for your budget of $3000? I've heard good things about Esteve and Picado but have only tried the Picado Model 60. In my honest opinion I wasn't all that impressed with the Model 60 and feel you could do better for the $2500 price tag. Mind you, I've only tried one of these and it could be that another Model 60 would sound better, which raises the question of consistency. This is why one should compare the guitar side by side with their current guitar in person rather than buying online so you know exactly what you're getting.

For that price I'd look into Francisco Navarro, GVR Rubio Estudio and Alejandro Cervantes. Vintage Japanese guitars also perform well above their price point. For a bit more you could commission a non-student guitar from Max Sipe who is a new luthier but is making very fine instruments at a high level.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

sitnivez

Post by sitnivez » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:21 pm

I would recommend looking into the work of Joseph Redman. I purchased a guitar from him last year for a very good amount less than $3,000, and it has been a great guitar to play day in and day out. He also is very prompt in responding to emails, and he is very kind and helpful. Definitely worth a look, there are quite a few informative reviews around this forum that should help out.
-Mike

Briant

Post by Briant » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:34 pm

Go to Kent Guitar classics and take a look at Stephan Eden cadenza model.

doug

Post by doug » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:35 pm

I have a GV Rubio Estudio, and I really like it!
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:56 pm

Ricardo, if you tell us where you live someone here can probably suggest a local store or dealer whose advice you could trust to find you something suitable.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:58 pm

I agree with others who say that for $3K, you are not really talking about a "student level" guitar. Well, unless you consider anything less than "max concert quality" to be "student level". Most people think of "student grade" as anything from a $200 Cordoba to an all solid wood factory model - nothing over about $1500. In other words, anything that a student can make reasonable progress on.

Reinforcing what was said above - find a hungry luthier who will build you a custom guitar within your budget. Or get creative - some luthiers have built instruments that got rejected for whatever reason. See if they have some bargains hanging out in their shops they want to unload for cheap.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:30 pm

Look for a student level luthier :D

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:01 am

Paul Weaver at La Mare guitars makes a Hauser style guitar for around $3,000.00 I fully intended to buy used but bought a new guitar made by Weaver instead.

Kenny Hill guitars are another thought--especially used.

Again, if we knew where the OP lived, it would help a lot. If there's a nearby shop with a lot of used guitars, that would be a place to start.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

RicardoMarcos

Post by RicardoMarcos » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:15 am

Hello you all. I'm in West Chester, PA. Thanks for all messages.

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:38 am

Keep an eye on the for sale section here too. 3k is a very respectable budget. Given that you recently bought a C9 maybe putting some money into lessons for a year or two might be a good idea before you put more money into instruments. Systematic practice, rather than a new instrument, is what makes the difference in performance.

RicardoMarcos

Post by RicardoMarcos » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:13 pm

Hello Simon, I quite agree with you and I'm in love with the C9. I really would like to compare the C9 to other luthier instruments and try to find out whether it's really worth expending that kind of money. In your experience, will I find such a difference to justify the purchase?
There is a lot of people critizing factory made instruments, but out of the four I have (the last two I bought
are the C9 and a Takamine TC132SC) I'm very happy with them. I'd really like to try and compare. If I find such a difference, I will probably buy it.
The oldest guitar that I have, and I also love it, has been completely rebuilt by a luthier in 2002 and it's amazing.
Again, thanks for all your comments.

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:00 pm

RicardoMarcos wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:13 pm
Hello Simon, I quite agree with you and I'm in love with the C9. I really would like to compare the C9 to other luthier instruments and try to find out whether it's really worth expending that kind of money. In your experience, will I find such a difference to justify the purchase?
There is a lot of people critizing factory made instruments, but out of the four I have (the last two I bought
are the C9 and a Takamine TC132SC) I'm very happy with them. I'd really like to try and compare. If I find such a difference, I will probably buy it.
The oldest guitar that I have, and I also love it, has been completely rebuilt by a luthier in 2002 and it's amazing.
Again, thanks for all your comments.
I used to own the C9 and I currently have a 1978 Takamine C132S. I have played several luthier instruments costing as high as $14k. Without exaggerating, I have preferred both the C9 and Takamine over several luthier instruments I've played costing thousands more. I've come to discover that in the CG market, price, factory vs luthier, etc. are very subjective. Luthier made or higher price point does not always = a superior instrument to your ears. I once was so concerned about what woods were used, aesthetics, how it was made, etc. I've reached the point in my journey where the only thing that really matters to me personally is sound and playability. Another case in point... I was at a guitar shop a few days ago and I played around 6+ different guitars ranging from factory to luthier made. I was utterly shocked along with my wife to discover that the favorite of the bunch was a $500 Cordoba C7 Spruce that I wasn't even planning to try out. Some on this forum reading this are screaming blasphemy right now (in fact years ago I would be saying the same), but I am just reporting my honest personal experience.

Don't get me wrong - the best guitars in the CG market are generally going to be luthier made. What I am trying to say is we should judge each guitar on its own merits without being swayed by things like price, maker, woods used, etc. If we put our biases aside, we can better judge the instrument. If you ever want to get another instrument, be sure to bring your current guitars to compare side by side as a familiar reference point. I think it is also helpful to keep on improving your skill and expanding your repertoire with your current guitars so that you can gain a more discerning ear.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

FHC

Post by FHC » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:50 pm

I have a mint GV Rubio Estudio in the For Sale section of Delcamp. I'll make you a great deal.

Return to “Public Space”