Does anyone else NOT like performing?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Evocacion

Re: Does anyone else NOT like performing?

Post by Evocacion » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:41 pm

zenking wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:53 pm
When sitting on the couch by myself, my playing can be excellent.

Once I'm playing for someone else, not so good. I seem to have stage fright.
zenking
When I'm playing alone I find that I am far less concious of the errrors I make. If I play a wrong note, I just play the right one, and carry on. But if there is an audience, the error can't be just glossed over and ignored, so it becomes much worse.
My solution is to use a recorder, and listen to what I actually played, rather than accept my faulty memory.
Last edited by Evocacion on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

julian94

Post by julian94 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:54 pm

The real problem for me when playing classical guitar for other people is that i barely listen and perceive my playing, i.e., the music itself.
Of course, i perceive the notes, but not so much the music as a whole. And therefore i play sort of "blind" and with a lot of tension and worry because i actually don't listen to myself when playing.

BUT when i sit in a particular position and play the guitar i listen to my playing much better, and appreciate the music with a wider espectrum of perception. In this way i appreciate the internal estructure of the piece and it's meaning as a unit itself and not so much only the notes and therefore i play with greater joy and less and/or ZERO tension. It's similar to the difference between listening to myself and listening to others. Obviously i listen to what others do much better than what i do, partly because i'm totally focused on playing the guitar and doing music. And in a different sitting possition i perceive my playing as if it was another person playing it. Therefore for me, the real problem when playing classical guitar, not only when playing to others, is that i don't really listen to my playing and as a consequence i play with a lot of tension.

It's understandable to play with a lot of tension since i don't really listen and perceive the music i do the same way i do when listening to other people. That's why many times when i hear my playing in a recording machine i can either frutrate myself entirely or feel surprisingly happy. That's the real problem. Not listening to myself.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:32 pm

I'm not playing classical programs in concerts, but I do play what we call 'Jazz Chamber Music'. I find it always difficult before the concert, but when it started, I sort of get more relaxed and enjoy it more and more... But before I always think: "Why am I doing this for Gods sake... I should cancel the gig".
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:17 pm

Posted in error...

twang

Post by twang » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:44 pm

julian94 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:54 pm
The real problem for me when playing classical guitar for other people is that i barely listen and perceive my playing, i.e., the music itself.
Of course, i perceive the notes, but not so much the music as a whole. And therefore i play sort of "blind" and with a lot of tension and worry because i actually don't listen to myself when playing.
It's useful to recognize that so much of our time in the practice room is spent tuned into the technical aspects of each note we play: Was that tone right? Did that note buzz?, Did I connect those two notes? Did I hold that one long enough? What fingering am I using? These are things we have to focus on intently from our first day with the guitar. A performance is not about these things; but our training makes us so sensitive to them. Any little technical error during a performance tends to pull our attention down into the technical weeds and away from the message.

Recordings help us hear this. A flub that sounds huge while we are playing is usually much less so on a recording.

Recognize also, that we are trained to hear every flaw but our audiences are not. I am always amazed at the technical errors I have learned to hear in professional music. Stuff I listened to for decades, I'll now listen to and find myself saying, "Wow, did he ever flub that!"
"An amateur is he who takes up the study of an instrument as a relaxation from his serious occupations." -- Sor

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:55 pm

julian94 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:54 pm

BUT when i sit in a particular position and play the guitar i listen to my playing much better, and appreciate the music with a wider espectrum of perception. In this way i appreciate the internal estructure of the piece and it's meaning as a unit itself and not so much only the notes and therefore i play with greater joy and less and/or ZERO tension. It's similar to the difference between listening to myself and listening to others. Obviously i listen to what others do much better than what i do, partly because i'm totally focused on playing the guitar and doing music. And in a different sitting possition i perceive my playing as if it was another person playing it. Therefore for me, the real problem when playing classical guitar, not only when playing to others, is that i don't really listen to my playing and as a consequence i play with a lot of tension.

It's understandable to play with a lot of tension since i don't really listen and perceive the music i do the same way i do when listening to other people. That's why many times when i hear my playing in a recording machine i can either frutrate myself entirely or feel surprisingly happy. That's the real problem. Not listening to myself.
Wow...that describes me pretty accurately.

mverive

Post by mverive » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:38 am

I played solo and with a harpist for several years at a hospital, merely to provide soothing entertainment for patients and their families. I actually enjoyed playing for for others than I do just for myself. When I'm playing for others, I allow myself to make mistakes and move on. It allows me to focus on the piece as a whole, rather than the technical aspects. I save THAT for practice!
"(P)Lay on, MacDuff, And damn'd be him that first cries, 'Hold, enough!'"

gingko

Post by gingko » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:23 am

I really like performing when "I" disappears and there's only music. That happens sometimes and it is wonderful. Otherwise, I just try not to have a "train wreck." I have no musical reputation to promote or protect so, admittedly, my performance bar is low. I do enjoy sharing music, if I'm able.

I remember when public speaking, even for a tiny group, just terrified me--weak knees, nausea, shaking, etc. It took some practice but I got comfortable with public speaking. For work I sometimes had to present to audiences of several hundred people. Somehow I could do it. I just figure I need more performance opportunities.

Les Montanjees

Post by Les Montanjees » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:34 am

I wonder whether it's something to do with the perception that classical guitar music is somehow more "serious" and "sober" than other forms of music and that therefore the audience is more likely to be severely critical if it's not played well? As others have mentioned, performing in a folk club is so much fun because folk music itself is mostly fun (mining disasters and deaths at sea excepted). I love it and if I play some bum notes I know I can just laugh about it with the audience and they'll forgive them if the song is half decent. Put me in front of an audience to play classical guitar music and I'd rather do 10 years in Guantanamo Bay, no matter how well I've prepared. It's just the (possibly exaggerated) perception that I'm under far greater scrutiny.
I think there's also a difference when people are paying good money to hear us play as opposed to playing for free. I know I feel far less pressure and therefore play better when I do a free gig.

Return to “Public Space”