What is your favorite set of string tension?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Arash Ahmadi

Re: What is your favorite set of string tension?

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:45 am

[/quote]

Which buzz are you speaking about? I understand high tension strings do not oscillate as wide and are less likely to hit the frets (buzz) when played loudly.

I went back after to Savarez red (their normal, 510 CR & 540 CR) after 6 month on high tension (Savarez 510CJ & D’Addario exp46). A key concern is to relax my left hand/arm. I am a bit worried of repetitive strain as well and lower tension should help avoid this.
[/quote]

An update, when I first tried the Savarez high tensions on my guitar (Hilhorst), I noticed more buzz especially on the 6th string (5th fret) but the strings have settled down now and the buzz is also gone. When you change to D'Addario EJ45 or the medium Tension you don't need to give it much time. I once also tried La Bella 820 Red flamenco strings just to experiment though I used to play some flamenco at the time and was very happy with it. I wonder if any of you have ever tried their set of classical strings.
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

Adilson Francisco da Silva

Post by Adilson Francisco da Silva » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:14 am

Hello

I play with "Ej43 of D'Addario". Ej43 is the light tension. I use because they provide ease of play.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:35 am

I like to use Pro Arte normal tension strings. They are the most popular here at my local music store.

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:57 am

Light tension. Loss in volume is more than made up for in warmth of tone and ease of playing. I usually use EJ43s but I have a set of Savarez White Card on the way that I'm going to try.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:18 pm

The main problem I had with light tension was the intonation - the left-hand fingers tended to wander across the fretboard laterally.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Scott88

Post by Scott88 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:05 am

I think tone is a huge part of choice for a lot of people when choosing strings but I’ve found that a beautiful tone means nothing if you can’t project well enough for the audience to enjoy. Seen far too many concerts where a beautiful sound just dies 4 rows in!

Savages blue for me. Took a little adjusting to with the hands but now I won’t budge away. Recently tried some carbon things, unimpressed

Scott88

Post by Scott88 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:08 am

An update, when I first tried the Savarez high tensions on my guitar (Hilhorst)
Side point. Which model hilhorst do you have? I currently have a 2003 concert model which is a beast with sav blues on.

ddray

Post by ddray » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:35 am

Scott88 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:05 am
I think tone is a huge part of choice for a lot of people when choosing strings but I’ve found that a beautiful tone means nothing if you can’t project well enough for the audience to enjoy. Seen far too many concerts where a beautiful sound just dies 4 rows in!
Well yeah, of course it depends on what you use the strings for. Seeing as how I'm not a concert player, I couldn't care less if that lovely tone dies 7 feet in front of me. :)

Torrescaster

Post by Torrescaster » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:17 am

I might add here that flamenco players often like EXTRA-high tension strings. Since the strings don't move as much when you hit them, its a little better for playing fast. You can also get away with a slightly lower action. If you're playing nylon with a pick (some jazz players do this) I think extra-high tension is a good way to go.

I've got a set of D'Addario extra high tension on my main practice guitar now. Put them on there basically on a whim just to try. I was actually a little scared to try, but it didn't take very long to get used to them. Yes, they are "extra" high tension, and you can feel the difference, but in truth they're not THAT much harder than "hard" which aren't that much harder than normal. You're still dealing with way less tension than high tension electric guitar or acoustic guitar steel strings.

Now that I've had them on there for two months, I see why people like them. In addition to above, I find tuning stability is a little better, too. On the other hand (pun intended) it is a little more work for the left hand, particularly in holding down barres. I'm going to be stepping back down to hard tension for my next string change.

My suggestion for anyone asking this question is just to try different types. This is largely a question of personal preference and you'll never really know what you like or dislike and why unless you try. Its not like you're "marrying" a string. . . .you can "fool around" with a given tension set for a few months then "dump it" for something else. If you REALLY hate a given set you can always change it out.

Torrescaster

Post by Torrescaster » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:27 am

Two more things.

'Hard' tension means different things to different makers. One makers "hard" tension may be no different than another makers "normal". So you have to look at the actual string gauges and tension numbers, not just the label description.

Also, lot of players like composite/custom sets.

My instructor likes Savarez hard basses/normal trebles. Why? Because she gets buzz with normal tension basses but doesn't want to mess with the guitar action. She found that that combo sounds good and works for her with her instrument.

I think matching strings to an individual instrument is important. If your guitar has a longer or shorter scale length than normal, actual string tension will vary accordingly. "Hard" tension on a short scale instrument may be similar in absolute feel/tension to standard tension on a normal scale instrument, etc.

Adding higher tension strings will increase the neck relief. For guitars with no truss rods. . .which is most classical guitars. . .this may be a factor in what strings work with what instrument.

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:08 am

Medium tension basses and high tension trebles.
Also I tune my guitar to A = 436.

To my ear, this is the most expressive combination.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”