Baroque Guitar Nerds help?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
DLMJ-1234

Baroque Guitar Nerds help?

Post by DLMJ-1234 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:00 pm

I'm looking for the most distinctive Baroque Guitar works out there...

Obviously I know of "Canarios" by Sanz which probably the most well-known - but are there others like this?

Anymore "hits" that are easy on the ear.

Thanks

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Re: Baroque Guitar Nerds help?

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:25 pm

There is many pièces of Gaspar Sanz .JF Delcamp, D03 book .

Look here

:bye:
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:49 pm

Honestly, "Canarios" is a poor representative example of baroque guitar music. It's a fine piece, but rather atypical for the genre.

To my ears, the many Suites by Robert de Visee are "the best". That's probably a matter of personal preference versus an objective statement! Francesco Corbetta wrote a large number of pieces; these don't "translate" so well to the modern style guitar, so don't get played as much. Likewise for the compositions of Francois Campion. In Italy, Ludovico Roncalli composed nine full Suites for the BG, and there are several recordings of these. The Bohemian nobleman Johan Anton von Logy wrote quite a few suites and partitas.

Going back to Spain, both Francesco Guerau and Santiago de Murcia have a number of very nice pieces.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:06 pm

David Norton wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:49 pm
Honestly, "Canarios" is a poor representative example of baroque guitar music. It's a fine piece, but rather atypical for the genre.

To my ears, the many Suites by Robert de Visee are "the best". That's probably a matter of personal preference versus an objective statement! Francesco Corbetta wrote a large number of pieces; these don't "translate" so well to the modern style guitar, so don't get played as much. Likewise for the compositions of Francois Campion. In Italy, Ludovico Roncalli composed nine full Suites for the BG, and there are several recordings of these. The Bohemian nobleman Johan Anton von Logy wrote quite a few suites and partitas.

Going back to Spain, both Francesco Guerau and Santiago de Murcia have a number of very nice pieces.
I don't know if it's because of personal interpretation or historical fidelity, but most of the pieces I've heard recorded on a Baroque guitar, or a regular guitar played in the Baroque style, incorporate way too much strumming for my taste. That's fine for a piece or two, but to listen to piece after piece after piece with such a heavy emphasis on emphatic strumming becomes a bit annoying (to me).

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:15 pm

Try Santiago de Murcia - much more in the contrapuntal style - lots of variety and invention.

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:30 am

If you are prepared to look at baroque composers who wrote for other instruments but whose works have been arranged for guitar Weiss and Scarlatti should be considered. ABRSM do collections of pieces by both composers. They cover grades 6 to 8 and are all really good.

Sticking with guitarists, I would recommend Roncalli. The Iceland Guitar School offer a Little Suite free, which is a good starting point.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

hoppy

Post by hoppy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:14 pm

De Visee - Suites in A minor and D minor. Segovia and Bream recorded the latter and I'd say the whole suite is 'easy on the ear' and enjoyable to play - not sure about any Canarios-level hits. There are various editions - much of it has appeared in Trinity syllabus over the years (Scheit edition).

Return to “Public Space”