Getting new Cordoba C9; Humicase or otherwise?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
rpavich

Getting new Cordoba C9; Humicase or otherwise?

Post by rpavich » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:12 pm

Hi,
I'm going to be getting a Cordoba C9 in a couple of days and I instinctively bought a humicase because I want to make sure that I take really good care of this guitar, I don't want to have something happen to it through my inattention to it's care.

I also bought a hygrometer for the house since I really don't know what the humidity is inside our house at all but I know it's dry (at least during the winter for sure)

So to pass the time I was looking at a video on how to use the humicase and to my surprise it consisted of a case, with a plastic holder for a sponge that you soak in water once a week!

I guess I was envisioning some sort of sensor that lets you know that the humidity is within range or not or something...not just a sponge in the case.

So that got me to thinking, since the case is on back order and I can cancel it I'm thinking about getting a case humidifier for the padded gig bag that comes with the guitar itself; something that not only supplies the moisture but would signal in some way when it's in spec or not.

Is there such a thing?

It just seems like the humicase is a lot more cash for something that doesn't do a whole lot.
Yamaha GC22S
Asturias AST-100

Mike Atkinson

Re: Getting new Cordoba C9; Humicase or otherwise?

Post by Mike Atkinson » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:25 pm

Hygrometer is a good thing. There are some which will communicate with your smart phone.
A room humidifier is also a good thing.
A hard shell case, over a gig bag, is a good thing, if you move anywhere with your instrument.
And while the thing in the humicase is sponge-like ... I'm not certain I would call it a sponge.
Even with the humicase ... I ended up adding an actual sponge (in a plastic bag with a couple of holes in it. To keep the humidity around 30%. (this was before getting a room humidifier and a whole house humidifier, and hygrometers for all the rooms in the house.

Incidentally ... I highly recommend room humidifiers, whole house humidifiers and hygrometers for each room in your house.
2016 Cordoba Esteso Cedar
Cordoba C5

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:18 pm

As Mike pointed out, room humidifier is the most important thing to have. Some cases have a hygrometer inside them. When you carry your guitar with you, you don't want it to stay in a very cold or hot place for a long time. You can also cover the body of the guitar in a bag and then put it in a hardshell case to make sure the humidity change would affect it less.
Last edited by Arash Ahmadi on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:06 am

I would keep the humicase. Also, don’t use tap water on the humidifier pucks. You need to buy the solution to use, or make your own, which has propelyne glycol and distilled water.it will absorb any extra humidity if the humidity gets too high in the case.

The humicase has a good seal. I wouldn’t trust a gig bag to use for this purpose as it won’t seal. Humicase protege is probably the least expensive option for a case that seals.

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:58 am

Thanks everyone, I guess I'll keep it and look for a room humidifier.
Yamaha GC22S
Asturias AST-100

Return to “Public Space”