If someone used your recordings, mentioned your name, but claim that he recorded it himself - what would you do?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
User avatar
AndreiKrylov
Posts: 2167
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada

If someone used your recordings, mentioned your name, but claim that he recorded it himself - what would you do?

Post by AndreiKrylov » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:34 pm

If someone used your recordings, mentioned your name, but claim that he recorded it himself - what would you do?
I found this popular video with nice pictures, my original music and some renaissance music recorded by me and taken from my albums on youtube. Many nice comments...!
and it is very nice that people loved my work..
BUT...
person who published it claimed that he did "Transcription note by note from Krylov's original music."...
"This is quite an old recording... probably a 2009 one. Yes it was Dad and l playing all the tunes you hear. The music was transcribed by Dad from the original Krylov's. As you can figure out we're into Renaissance, Baroque, Medieval music and so on. I should have more of this stuff and l may post it some time in the future. Glad you found this post an interesting one :)"
well maybe someone transcribed some of my music..but in this case it is just my recordings...not transcriptions...
what does it mean? ? my original music and some renaissance music recorded by me and taken from my albums!!!
I really do not know how to react on it..
I am happy that people love it but...? why just not to say that it is all recorded by me?
[media]https://youtu.be/itED8keN2MM[/media]
I'd better speak by music...Please listen my guitar at Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, etc.

User avatar
bear
Posts: 3780
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: If someone used your recordings, mentioned your name, but claim that he recorded it himself - what would you do?

Post by bear » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:48 pm

I'd break his face.
Complain to utube.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

simonm
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7431
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:22 am
Location: Germany, Würzburg. Spain, IB

Re: If someone used your recordings, mentioned your name, but claim that he recorded it himself - what would you do?

Post by simonm » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:55 pm

Not much chance of getting any real satisfaction.

As bear says, point it out to youtube and more than likely they will remove it but I doubt if they will do anything else.

User avatar
guitarrista
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:00 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Re: If someone used your recordings, mentioned your name, but claim that he recorded it himself - what would you do?

Post by guitarrista » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:02 am

Once the audio is checked against your own recording, it will be obvious that it is identical to yours. Make the argument with youtube and offer to provide proof in the form of your original audio file(s) from your album(s). They also allow authors to upload their own audio or video which youtube's algorithms can run against people's uploads and flag all that are identical to yours, after which you can decide what to do - issue a takedown request, or something else. If this algorithm works it should also be able to flag that particular recording.

EDIT - I just went to read the comments. I see that you have posted some comments pointing this out. However, what you wrote (the way you wrote it) does not actually contradict this person's claim - you have to be more direct if you meant it as a challenge. You wrote "it is all from my recordings" - which is not the same as " it is my actual recordings" (*). This may be why people do not seem bothered or commenting on an apparent disagreement between that person's description and yours.

(*) "it is all from my recordings" does not contradict the story 'I made a note for note transcription - all from your recordings - and recorded that'.
Last edited by guitarrista on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:17 am, edited 5 times in total.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

User avatar
AndreiKrylov
Posts: 2167
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada

Re: If someone used your recordings, mentioned your name, but claim that he recorded it himself - what would you do?

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:09 am

simonm wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:55 pm
Not much chance of getting any real satisfaction.

As bear says, point it out to youtube and more than likely they will remove it but I doubt if they will do anything else.
I like this video...I am happy that people love the music.. but
why not just say that it is not only my original music and some renaissance music, but recorded by me and taken from my albums??

In Russia some of my songs just stolen...
for example this one
https://soundcloud.com/andrei-krylov/el ... rei-krylov
wife of my friend changed words and published it under her name (10 years after I published it first time) ...
I offered to her just put my name there as a composer.. at least...but she refused...
and when I told her that it is crazy and wrong and took out her videos with this song from youtube (because it is known for them - copyright and author ) and then she told me that now I am gonna be in trouble with police there (because she had good friends and connections there) .... What a crazy world we are living...
I'd better speak by music...Please listen my guitar at Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, etc.

User avatar
AndreiKrylov
Posts: 2167
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada

Re: If someone used your recordings, mentioned your name, but claim that he recorded it himself - what would you do?

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:13 am

guitarrista wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:02 am
Once the audio is checked against your own recording, it will be obvious that it is identical to yours. Make the argument with youtube and offer to provide proof in the form of your original audio file(s) from your album(s). They also allow authors to upload their own audio or video which youtube's algorithms can run against people's uploads and flag all that are identical to yours, after which you can decide what to do - issue a takedown request, or something else. If this algorithm works it should also be able to flag that particular recording.
It is been checked .. in a bit strange way - because many of my pieces used there not just one on the license...
from video:
"A selection of Medieval music for guitar and lute.
Transcription note by note from Krylov's original music.
Played on 6, 10 strings classical and folk guitar and 8 choirs lute.
Enjoy.
Category
Music
Licence
Standard YouTube Licence
Music
"London Branle" by Andrei Krylov ( • )"
I'd better speak by music...Please listen my guitar at Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, etc.

User avatar
AndreiKrylov
Posts: 2167
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada

Re: If someone used your recordings, mentioned your name, but claim that he recorded it himself - what would you do?

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:16 am

guitarrista wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:02 am
Once the audio is checked against your own recording, it will be obvious that it is identical to yours. Make the argument with youtube and offer to provide proof in the form of your original audio file(s) from your album(s). They also allow authors to upload their own audio or video which youtube's algorithms can run against people's uploads and flag all that are identical to yours, after which you can decide what to do - issue a takedown request, or something else. If this algorithm works it should also be able to flag that particular recording.

EDIT - I just went to read the comments. I see that you have posted some comments pointing this out. However, what you wrote (the way you wrote it) does not actually contradict this person's claim - you have to be more direct if you meant it as a challenge. You wrote "it is all from my recordings" - which is not the same as " it is my actual recordings". This may be why people do not seem bothered or commenting on an apparent disagreement between that person's description and yours.
that is my comment from there:
Hi Folks! I am flattened that you like my own (and also Renaissance/medieval) music so much! it is all from my recordings...Please listen full albums of Andrei Krylov on Spotify , Applemusic, Deezer etc. Thanks again!

isn't it clear? well.. maybe my understanding of English is not good...
I'd better speak by music...Please listen my guitar at Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, etc.

User avatar
guitarrista
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:00 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Re: If someone used your recordings, mentioned your name, but claim that he recorded it himself - what would you do?

Post by guitarrista » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:18 am

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:16 am
guitarrista wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:02 am
Once the audio is checked against your own recording, it will be obvious that it is identical to yours. Make the argument with youtube and offer to provide proof in the form of your original audio file(s) from your album(s). They also allow authors to upload their own audio or video which youtube's algorithms can run against people's uploads and flag all that are identical to yours, after which you can decide what to do - issue a takedown request, or something else. If this algorithm works it should also be able to flag that particular recording.

EDIT - I just went to read the comments. I see that you have posted some comments pointing this out. However, what you wrote (the way you wrote it) does not actually contradict this person's claim - you have to be more direct if you meant it as a challenge. You wrote "it is all from my recordings" - which is not the same as " it is my actual recordings". This may be why people do not seem bothered or commenting on an apparent disagreement between that person's description and yours.
that is my comment from there:
Hi Folks! I am flattened that you like my own (and also Renaissance/medieval) music so much! it is all from my recordings...Please listen full albums of Andrei Krylov on Spotify , Applemusic, Deezer etc. Thanks again!

isn't it clear? well.. maybe my understanding of English is not good...
"it is all from my recordings" does not contradict the story 'I made a note for note transcription - all from your recordings - and recorded that'. The word 'from' makes it seem you agree with that person. If you meant this as a challenge to his story, you should at least remove the 'from'.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

User avatar
AndreiKrylov
Posts: 2167
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada

Re: If someone used your recordings, mentioned your name, but claim that he recorded it himself - what would you do?

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:22 am

guitarrista wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:18 am
AndreiKrylov wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:16 am
guitarrista wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:02 am
Once the audio is checked against your own recording, it will be obvious that it is identical to yours. Make the argument with youtube and offer to provide proof in the form of your original audio file(s) from your album(s). They also allow authors to upload their own audio or video which youtube's algorithms can run against people's uploads and flag all that are identical to yours, after which you can decide what to do - issue a takedown request, or something else. If this algorithm works it should also be able to flag that particular recording.

EDIT - I just went to read the comments. I see that you have posted some comments pointing this out. However, what you wrote (the way you wrote it) does not actually contradict this person's claim - you have to be more direct if you meant it as a challenge. You wrote "it is all from my recordings" - which is not the same as " it is my actual recordings". This may be why people do not seem bothered or commenting on an apparent disagreement between that person's description and yours.
that is my comment from there:
Hi Folks! I am flattened that you like my own (and also Renaissance/medieval) music so much! it is all from my recordings...Please listen full albums of Andrei Krylov on Spotify , Applemusic, Deezer etc. Thanks again!

isn't it clear? well.. maybe my understanding of English is not good...
"it is all from my recordings" does not contradict the story 'I made a note for note transcription - all from your recordings - and recorded that'. The word 'from' makes it seem you agree with that person. If you meant this as a challenge to his story, you should at least remove the 'from'.
well..
in Russian it would mean 100% opposite!!!
I'd better speak by music...Please listen my guitar at Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, etc.

User avatar
AndreiKrylov
Posts: 2167
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada

Re: If someone used your recordings, mentioned your name, but claim that he recorded it himself - what would you do?

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:24 am

I put new version of comment there -

Hi Folks! I am flattened that you like my own (and also Renaissance/medieval) music so much! it is all my recordings...my original recordings been used in this video...Please listen full albums of Andrei Krylov on Spotify , Applemusic, Deezer etc. Thanks again!

is this one clear now?
I'd better speak by music...Please listen my guitar at Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, etc.

User avatar
guitarrista
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:00 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Re: If someone used your recordings, mentioned your name, but claim that he recorded it himself - what would you do?

Post by guitarrista » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:27 am

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:22 am
guitarrista wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:18 am
"it is all from my recordings" does not contradict the story 'I made a note for note transcription - all from your recordings - and recorded that'. The word 'from' makes it seem you agree with that person. If you meant this as a challenge to his story, you should at least remove the 'from'.
well..
in Russian it would mean 100% opposite!!!
I understand this might be the case, but am telling you what it looks like in English. Especially if this person can go to these lengths to deceive people, you can bet they are going to pretend you agreed with them and will claim "from my recordings" means exactly what he said.

By the way, even if the note-for-note transcription was true, that still does nothing about the copy right you have as an author of the composition. At minimum they should have paid royalties to you as the composer. But as you said it is much worse than this scenario - they've actually stolen your work and are presenting it as theirs.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

User avatar
guitarrista
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:00 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Re: If someone used your recordings, mentioned your name, but claim that he recorded it himself - what would you do?

Post by guitarrista » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:30 am

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:24 am
I put new version of comment there -

Hi Folks! I am flattened that you like my own (and also Renaissance/medieval) music so much! it is all my recordings...my original recordings been used in this video...Please listen full albums of Andrei Krylov on Spotify , Applemusic, Deezer etc. Thanks again!

is this one clear now?
Yes it is now clear what you are claiming. You can also publicly request that the video description be changed to reflect the truth, and that you do not appreciate this person claiming the recordings are their own, from a transcription.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

User avatar
bear
Posts: 3780
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: If someone used your recordings, mentioned your name, but claim that he recorded it himself - what would you do?

Post by bear » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:37 am

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:24 am
I put new version of comment there -

Hi Folks! I am flattened that you like my own (and also Renaissance/medieval) music so much! it is all my recordings...my original recordings been used in this video...Please listen full albums of Andrei Krylov on Spotify , Applemusic, Deezer etc. Thanks again!

is this one clear now?
You are very polite, I am not.
I think you need to make it clear that your music is being pirated and used without your consent and over your objections. This person has stolen from you and his account should be shut down.
In reading your post, I would get the idea that there is no problem.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

User avatar
AndreiKrylov
Posts: 2167
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada

Re: If someone used your recordings, mentioned your name, but claim that he recorded it himself - what would you do?

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:40 am

guitarrista wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:30 am
AndreiKrylov wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:24 am
I put new version of comment there -

Hi Folks! I am flattened that you like my own (and also Renaissance/medieval) music so much! it is all my recordings...my original recordings been used in this video...Please listen full albums of Andrei Krylov on Spotify , Applemusic, Deezer etc. Thanks again!

is this one clear now?
Yes it is now clear what you are claiming. You can also publicly request that the video description be changed to reflect the truth, and that you do not appreciate this person claiming the recordings are their own, from a transcription.
please help me with it!
what does it mean publicly claim?
where?
how?
I claimed on video, I claimed here...
what a nonsense all this...

funny - I basically gave up writing scores of my music because I have no time for that and need to do other music work for living
and ..
then many people want my scores... :D
world is crazy...

please if you could help me with text and there should I send it...
I'd better speak by music...Please listen my guitar at Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, etc.

User avatar
AndreiKrylov
Posts: 2167
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada

Re: If someone used your recordings, mentioned your name, but claim that he recorded it himself - what would you do?

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:46 am

bear wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:37 am
AndreiKrylov wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:24 am
I put new version of comment there -

Hi Folks! I am flattened that you like my own (and also Renaissance/medieval) music so much! it is all my recordings...my original recordings been used in this video...Please listen full albums of Andrei Krylov on Spotify , Applemusic, Deezer etc. Thanks again!

is this one clear now?
You are very polite, I am not.
I think you need to make it clear that your music is being pirated and used without your consent and over your objections. This person has stolen from you and his account should be shut down.
In reading your post, I would get the idea that there is no problem.
Dear Bear,
my music was pirated in many countries and I am not talking about listening for free (means nobody paid me) ...
no not just that !
I've seen many times for sale literally on thousands of websites, mostly from Ukraine and Russia been simply stolen from other legal websites ...
It is a problem with this video, but video is nice and my name is there it is just misrepresented...
I would prefer it just corrected and stay there...
I'd better speak by music...Please listen my guitar at Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, etc.

Return to “Public Space”