New Hill Signature!

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
John Oster

New Hill Signature!

Post by John Oster » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:31 pm

Wow, what a powerhouse! The notes are so clear and effortless. The outer layer is spruce and the inner layer is cedar. I bought it from Savage Guitars in NY--a great place to do business. It was completed on September 25th, 2017, but I am its first owner. Some pictures:

Kenny Hill Signature 2017 spruce/cedar/Indian
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br

bauersachs82

Re: New Hill Signature!

Post by bauersachs82 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:44 pm

Congratulations! A Hill Signature is definitely on my dream wishlist. Great pictures too.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:05 pm

Have fun with it. I play an '07 Signature, and it never gets old. I have a recording somewhere of my lesson with Maximo Pujol, and afterwards he asked to play my guitar He played for 4-5 minutes, short snippets of a number of pieces, then said "It's fantastic" as he handed it back.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

John Oster

Post by John Oster » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:58 pm

Thank you. If you find that recording, please post it!

What kind of strings do you use? Mine came with J-46, not my favorite strings, but Savage included several other sets, so I immediately replaced them with Savarez New Cristal Corum. So far, so good!
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:19 pm

Hey Oski and tubeman: how do you think the sound ports work in terms of hearing yourself/any effect on overall sound etc. And does this guitar come with the plugs and would you ever use them? thanks! (I may eventually be interested in one of these guitars.) My hearings is challenged at times and I'm looking at ways to compensate for this.
Is it possible that Hill strings this with a higher tension string in order to drive the double top? And do double tops typically require higher tension strings for this reason?

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:42 pm

Congratulations!!
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2017 Cordoba Orchestra 12 Cedar
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2015 Simon & Patrick Showcase CH HG

John Oster

Post by John Oster » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:58 pm

Jeffrey, the ports do allow the player to hear a bit more of the sound. Since there are no plugs, I can't do an A/B comparison, but some sound definitely comes out of them! It was strung with high tension strings, so I assume that is their recommendation. The Savarez I put on have medium high trebles and high tension basses.
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br

oski79

Post by oski79 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:55 am

The Hill doesn't come with plugs, and I see no need for them. I've heard it played in front of me, and while there is a bit of difference in the sound, it is less pronounced than what your hear from a guitar with no ports. I've only rarely used high tension strings, and I don't think it really matters.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:01 am

Thanks guys; very interesting. I'm glad to hear about the guitar not needing high tension strings. I know nothing about double tops, but it occurred to me while I was typing the earlier post that, since there were two top (sort of) on a double top, does it take more to drive them? Apparently not! Great

I play lower tension strings (well, medium but they feel light) for ease of fretting.

Hill's shop in Los Gatos is near by, so who knows....?

hillguitar

Post by hillguitar » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:41 pm

We're in Ben Lomond, actually, please feel free to visit, Jeffrey.

All our our guitars are strung w D'Addario rj-46, high tension, to have a kind of 'control' against which we can evaluate each guitar. D'Addario rj-46 are available everywhere, are as consistent as possible and low priced, so if the player likes them, it's a nice economical place to start from. The other reason for high tension is to help break in the top. There is no need for high tension. We recommend players use the strings they like best.
Hill Guitar Company
Ben Lomond, CA 95005

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:44 pm

Thanks hillguitar. By the way, I assume that you make single top guitars (cedar will be my next) with sound ports? I've never tried them, and they could be just what I need.

p.s. by the way folks, Ben Lomond is gorgeous, with old growth Redwoods and wonderful beaches in the very near vicinity. So, another reason to go!

John Oster

Post by John Oster » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:14 pm

Hi hillguitar! I just want to say how much I love this guitar. You seem to achieve all of the positive aspects of DT guitars, such as increased volume, projection, clarity, sustain, etc., without a perceived "plastic" tone that I hear in some others. The playability is second to none as well.
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:23 pm

Hmmm. Not sure why, but photos are not showing up for me. I tried both Safari and Chrome.
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

John Oster

Post by John Oster » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:49 pm

Mine have disappeared, too! Let me try using attachments instead of URL images.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br

hillguitar

Post by hillguitar » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:44 pm
Thanks hillguitar. By the way, I assume that you make single top guitars (cedar will be my next) with sound ports? I've never tried them, and they could be just what I need.

p.s. by the way folks, Ben Lomond is gorgeous, with old growth Redwoods and wonderful beaches in the very near vicinity. So, another reason to go!
As noted earlier in another posting: Announced at NAMM [yesterday], New World Performance model - same and the Hill design, same materials, French polish finish, now made in our shop in China to be imported. In its place is the Hill new Century doubletop non-elevated model. Also new, as noted above is the Hill Heritage solid top, fan-braced, non-elevated, non-ported traditional classical, and we will continue to make the traditional Torres 1856 model on a limited basis.

LD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hill Guitar Company
Ben Lomond, CA 95005

Return to “Public Space”