Cordoba C10 Guitar - any reviews?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
ThomasEdwardStickel

Cordoba C10 Guitar - any reviews?

Post by ThomasEdwardStickel » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:29 pm

I am considering buying a new guitar soon. I have been researching and it appears to me that the Cordoba C10 is a very well made guitar for a good price. Does anyone have some experience with this? I have not found a store that actually has one in Denver to even look at. Thanks.

acmost9

Re: Cordoba C10 Guitar - any reviews?

Post by acmost9 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:53 pm

This probably sounds like a cop out but do a search here...there's tons written on this site, pro & against.

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:01 pm

You might want to check out the subforum - it's a pretty common topic.

viewforum.php?f=107

I would seriously suggest checking out whatever guitar you plan to buy at that price. Very few new guitars will be terrible, but they can also be quite different in terms of tone and playability. So there can be no absolutes, just preferences.

When it comes to Cordoba guitars, somehow my preference always ends up being elsewhere - Yamaha, Hanika, ... It's a very competitive price point so you should have many options.

William Gregg

Post by William Gregg » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:00 pm

You might want to check out the reply I just posted in "Best classical guitars under $900". BUT.....here's my experience. I tried the C10 in a guitar store, and loved the sound and playability. I didn't have a card or checkbook with me, so I went to the bank to get the cash. I went back to the guitar shop where they had the guitar in the gig bag waiting for me. I took the guitar out to play it one more time and, to my surprise, the sound was quite different, even poor. I said, "this isn't the same guitar I played before." Indeed, the superior version was the display model, which I insisted on purchasing. I have been very happy with the C10, even using it in performances. Beware of the inconsistency in Chinese made guitars, and always try several of the same model if possible. Also, several of my students use lower model Cordoba guitars and are very happy with them.

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:35 pm

William Gregg wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:00 pm
...I took the guitar out to play it one more time and, to my surprise, the sound was quite different, even poor. I said, "this isn't the same guitar I played before." Indeed, the superior version was the display model, which I insisted on purchasing. ...
That's an amazing thing really, just illustrating how weird music can be even in mass-produced instruments. I've noticed it even with plastic recorders: two identical ones from the same stinkin' factory can sound different.
Bei einer andächtigen Musik ist allezeit Gott mit seiner Gnaden Gegenwart.
-- J. S. Bach

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:40 pm

You would be better off to find the nearest guitar store that carries classical guitars and go and play them. Bring a friend who plays and be the audience.

If I had a dollar for every time someone asked this question and the answer was "play a bunch of them and pick them based on sound, not price or brand..."

I'd have me a fine Luthier made guitar! :)

I've had a C7 and a C9. Both were fine. You really have to play them to find out.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:55 pm

prawnheed wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:01 pm
I would seriously suggest checking out whatever guitar you plan to buy at that price. Very few new guitars will be terrible, but they can also be quite different in terms of tone and playability. So there can be no absolutes, just preferences.
I would apply that advice to luthier made instruments as well. Christopher Parkening once wrote about how he went to a guitar shop (Sherry Brener, if memory serves), and tried just about every good instrument they had. He tagged them with different colored tags to represent his judgment of their quality/sound, and in the end, out of all the guitars he tried, it was narrowed down to something like three final options.

Most of us probably don't have Christopher's discerning ear, and I'm sure I'd feel blessed to own any number of guitars that he woudn't even consider. However, this illustrates the range in quality even among the finest instruments, so how much more so would we need to take care when purchasing a budget instrument?

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:05 am

I have a c-10 cedar that I bought online from Reverb in July 2017. It was in mint condition and I paid less than $900. I like the guitar and do not regret my choice. it is what I hoped it would be. I wanted a strong bass and it does have that. The trebles are clear and pleasing to my old ears. I play it every night for a couple of hours and am really happy with it. No regrets.

Before I bought it, I listened to (it felt like) every guitar on you tube. I realize that does not account for the amplification used to make the recording, and a few other things. But I live in a small town with no classical guitars closer than an hour away. So I did what I could and it turned out well.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Return to “Public Space”