new Andrea Tacchi - Coclea Thucea review

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
ivan

Re: new Andrea Tacchi - Coclea Thucea review

Post by ivan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:06 pm

bacsidoan wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:23 pm
I also would like to point out the difference in grain pattern of the cedar outer pieces. It appears that the one on the treble side is tighter, perhaps for the enhancement of treble response. Ivan, could you ask the Maestro about that?
Bacsidoan, i will ask Andrea about this soon.
About the soundboard woods, he told me that he choose the spruce and cedar that might be have some flaw cosmetically, but it is his first choice for the best sound. And indeed the cedar and spruce have some uneven grain and not uniform color across the board. But i don't care, for me the most important is the sound of the guitar.

ivan

Post by ivan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:11 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:32 pm
Congrats again, Ivan. I know it is a great guitar. I had the pleasure to try it out in Andrea's workshop before delivery. Many happy hours with this unique instrument. Andrea is a wonderful craftsman and artist.
Thanks Michael! Andrea said it will develop to an even much better instrument in the future.
He is such a great master, he can tweak the sound to whatever his client's request.

ivan

Post by ivan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:12 pm

Intune wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:51 pm
Congratulations on getting a very beautiful and exciting instrument! That saddle looks unique. Are the treble and bass strings resting on different materials? The treble area looks dark (carbon fiber?) while the bass looks more traditional (bone?) Appreciate clarification of the saddle material. Thanks.
Yes, you are right. The saddle is carbon on the treble, and carbon & bone mixture in the bass.
He said the carbon saddle on the treble will help the sustain and crispier sound.

ivan

Post by ivan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:24 pm

riffmeister wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:17 pm
I've played one, briefly.....Absolutely Amazing Guitar! And of course the craftmanship is not of this planet! Congrats!!
Thanks Riff! Andrea is a great artist.
For the cleanliness and quality of execution, honestly Joshia de Jonge is still the best. But for the complexity of the purfling and rosette, Andrea is indeed a great artist.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:37 pm

ivan wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:24 pm
riffmeister wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:17 pm
I've played one, briefly.....Absolutely Amazing Guitar! And of course the craftmanship is not of this planet! Congrats!!
Thanks Riff! Andrea is a great artist.
For the cleanliness and quality of execution, honestly Joshia de Jonge is still the best. But for the complexity of the purfling and rosette, Andrea is indeed a great artist.
Exactly.....it's the combination of artistry and craftmanship that has impressed me with the several Tacchi guitars I've played. Not to mention their innate beauty as musical instruments....beauty of sound and perfection in playability. He's got it all!

MrF1

Post by MrF1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:23 pm

Top of the mark....beautiful instrument. I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment and inspiration!

Tim522

Post by Tim522 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:24 pm

Wow! absolutely gorgeous!

CG-phile

Post by CG-phile » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:44 pm

Very nice! Congrats!
"Classical guitar... my escape from everyday technocentrism!"

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:57 am

Beautiful instrument in appearance and I am sure in sound as I owned a 2005 at one time and regretted selling it. Very interesting that he lined it with Paduck. what was the reasoning there? Mine was also wedge but lined with cypress.
2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple)
2012 Martin Blackwell(for sale), 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2014 Joshua DeJonge Cedar( for sale) 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:14 pm

Congratulations! What a beautiful instrument. How is it in terms of ease of playing compared to his Bouchet model? I’ve played (briefly) several of his models and the two things that’s are consistent are beauty of construction and tone. Andrea is truly an artist at both!
Keep us informed as to the instrument’s development and please Post a sample sound video?
Again, congratulations!
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:15 pm

I forgot. Please talk about the special tuning machines!
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

ivan

Post by ivan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:09 am

Dofpic wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:57 am
Beautiful instrument in appearance and I am sure in sound as I owned a 2005 at one time and regretted selling it. Very interesting that he lined it with Paduck. what was the reasoning there? Mine was also wedge but lined with cypress.
Dofpic,
he didn't explain to me the specific reason of using padauk. I explain to him that i want a brighter sound, not too dark like his previous Thucea that he sent to me in 2014 (Archipelago). And also i want a wider range of tone color (his 2014 Thucea is a bit lack of tonal variations, more or less similar to Rohe and Dominique Field - loud but without wide color). So after hearing my request he said the best wood combination would be wenge and padauk. He also set the body resonance of my guitar slightly higher than normal. Mine have body resonance close to G#. Probably to create brighter and crispier sound.

ivan

Post by ivan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:18 am

Jack Douglas wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:14 pm
Congratulations! What a beautiful instrument. How is it in terms of ease of playing compared to his Bouchet model? I’ve played (briefly) several of his models and the two things that’s are consistent are beauty of construction and tone. Andrea is truly an artist at both!
Keep us informed as to the instrument’s development and please Post a sample sound video?
Again, congratulations!
Thank you Jack!
Compare to his Bouchet model, this one has more 'modern' sound and far more powerful. Unlike other coclea guitars i've tried, mine have wide range of color. So in this aspect probably it is closer to Bouchet model.
Set up for the left hand is also superb with action only 2.8 and 3.7mm. In my opinion, Tacchi build a far better instrument than Dominique Field (it means the Field has almost no advantage over Tacchi).

The tuning machine is Rodgers with sterling silver base plate. Rob gives me free upgrades of 24K gold plated ball pips and the rest of the parts. And the engraving pattern is also special and not available on his website catalogue. Plus cloche shaped black MOP button.

ivan

Post by ivan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:19 am

Andrea also put 2 soundports on my guitar.
I request that i just want the best possible sound, so he is free to do anything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ivan

Post by ivan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:20 am

Dofpic,
Here is the picture of wenge with padauk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Public Space”