new Andrea Tacchi - Coclea Thucea review

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
zupfgeiger

Re: new Andrea Tacchi - Coclea Thucea review

Post by zupfgeiger » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:57 am

ivan wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:09 am
Dofpic wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:57 am
Beautiful instrument in appearance and I am sure in sound as I owned a 2005 at one time and regretted selling it. Very interesting that he lined it with Paduck. what was the reasoning there? Mine was also wedge but lined with cypress.
Dofpic,
he didn't explain to me the specific reason of using padauk. I explain to him that i want a brighter sound, not too dark like his previous Thucea that he sent to me in 2014 (Archipelago). And also i want a wider range of tone color (his 2014 Thucea is a bit lack of tonal variations, more or less similar to Rohe and Dominique Field - loud but without wide color). So after hearing my request he said the best wood combination would be wenge and padauk. He also set the body resonance of my guitar slightly higher than normal. Mine have body resonance close to G#. Probably to create brighter and crispier sound.
Ivan, I had a telephone conversation with Andrea Tacchi this morning and I asked him why he used padauk for the inner side layers. Answer was short and easy. Because padauk is a very responsive timber and lightweight at the same time. That's it. Makes sense. :)
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:40 pm

ivan wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:20 am
Dofpic,
Here is the picture of wenge with padauk
Congrats Ivan, very impressive looking guitar. It'd be nice if you could share a video or audio as well. I suppose in this pic the back and side layers were not installed yet?

The sound ports really help in the sound projection. It's surprising to see how light weighted it is. My Hilhorst is about 3 kilos!
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

hackedpineapple

Post by hackedpineapple » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:23 pm

That is a damn fine guitar. Would you mind sharing us the price of such a guitar by Andre Tacchi?

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:42 am

ivan wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:12 pm
Intune wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:51 pm
Congratulations on getting a very beautiful and exciting instrument! That saddle looks unique. Are the treble and bass strings resting on different materials? The treble area looks dark (carbon fiber?) while the bass looks more traditional (bone?) Appreciate clarification of the saddle material. Thanks.
Yes, you are right. The saddle is carbon on the treble, and carbon & bone mixture in the bass.
He said the carbon saddle on the treble will help the sustain and crispier sound.
Do you know where he gets these saddles from ?

ivan

Post by ivan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:07 am

zupfgeiger wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:57 am
ivan wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:09 am
Dofpic wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:57 am
Beautiful instrument in appearance and I am sure in sound as I owned a 2005 at one time and regretted selling it. Very interesting that he lined it with Paduck. what was the reasoning there? Mine was also wedge but lined with cypress.
Dofpic,
he didn't explain to me the specific reason of using padauk. I explain to him that i want a brighter sound, not too dark like his previous Thucea that he sent to me in 2014 (Archipelago). And also i want a wider range of tone color (his 2014 Thucea is a bit lack of tonal variations, more or less similar to Rohe and Dominique Field - loud but without wide color). So after hearing my request he said the best wood combination would be wenge and padauk. He also set the body resonance of my guitar slightly higher than normal. Mine have body resonance close to G#. Probably to create brighter and crispier sound.
Ivan, I had a telephone conversation with Andrea Tacchi this morning and I asked him why he used padauk for the inner side layers. Answer was short and easy. Because padauk is a very responsive timber and lightweight at the same time. That's it. Makes sense. :)
Thanks for the information michael,
Andrea is a genius. He knows exactly how to tweak the sound in his guitar.
Few days ago, i tried my friend's coclea cedar. It has solid back side (without inner layer) and it sounds wonderful as well.

ivan

Post by ivan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:13 am

Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:40 pm
ivan wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:20 am
Dofpic,
Here is the picture of wenge with padauk
Congrats Ivan, very impressive looking guitar. It'd be nice if you could share a video or audio as well. I suppose in this pic the back and side layers were not installed yet?

The sound ports really help in the sound projection. It's surprising to see how light weighted it is. My Hilhorst is about 3 kilos!
Thanks Arash Ahmadi,
On the picture, you can see different color between the outer layer and the inner layer. The dark colored outer layer is Wenge, and the red inner layer is padauk.

Andrea said the soundport creates similar effect like a grand piano with the cover opened. It creates more open and richer sound.
To be honest, i don't like the look of the soundports. But the sound is always be my first priority.

Yes, it is lightly built. I know Hilhorst guitar but haven't got any chance to observe it closely. Yours is the super concert? Or the strandard?

ivan

Post by ivan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:17 am

hackedpineapple wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:23 pm
That is a damn fine guitar. Would you mind sharing us the price of such a guitar by Andre Tacchi?
Better to contact Andrea directly i think. Because my guitar has various 'upgrades' (special Rodgers tuning machine, etc) which is of course change the final price.

ivan

Post by ivan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:20 am

Gary Macleod wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:42 am
ivan wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:12 pm
Intune wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:51 pm
Congratulations on getting a very beautiful and exciting instrument! That saddle looks unique. Are the treble and bass strings resting on different materials? The treble area looks dark (carbon fiber?) while the bass looks more traditional (bone?) Appreciate clarification of the saddle material. Thanks.
Yes, you are right. The saddle is carbon on the treble, and carbon & bone mixture in the bass.
He said the carbon saddle on the treble will help the sustain and crispier sound.
Do you know where he gets these saddles from ?
He said it is custom made according to his specification. The carbon is a really special kind, it is usually used to build frame of Formula1 racing car. He said it is far better sound conductor than any bone or ivory, and the lowest weight as well.

ivan

Post by ivan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:27 am

This is the bracing pattern of the soundboard. Very simple, just regular fan brace, but it creates an extremely powerful yet beautiful sound.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:27 am

That doesn’t look like a regular fan brace to me!

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:50 pm

Interesting bracing pattern indeed. I don't recall ever seeing a 4 fan bracing system. My ears have tended to gravitate toward guitars that have the 7 fan symmetrical bracing pattern, so I wonder how this would sound. It looks like he keeps the center open so that it vibrates more freely? From what I've seen from Andrea, his guitars tend to have a thick and full sound, which some may or may not prefer.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

ivan

Post by ivan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:01 pm

How about this? Is it looks like regular fan brace to you, Peter?
You will be surprised if you know who is the luthier. He is a luthier that strongly follow an old tradition of guitarmaking art, yet it doesn't stop him to try some new ideas for better result.
The fan brace system itself has dozens or even hundreds of variations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ivan

Post by ivan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:09 pm

souldier wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:50 pm
Interesting bracing pattern indeed. I don't recall ever seeing a 4 fan bracing system. My ears have tended to gravitate toward guitars that have the 7 fan symmetrical bracing pattern, so I wonder how this would sound. It looks like he keeps the center open so that it vibrates more freely? From what I've seen from Andrea, his guitars tend to have a thick and full sound, which some may or may not prefer.
You are absolutely right about this. The coclea model sound is thick, full, and dense. Except my guitar that has bright and very crispy attack due to my request to him.
Here in my country (Indonesia), we have Andrea Tacchi's guitar since 2014. Many guitarist love the sound. But few of them doesn't like, the reason is they said it sounds more like a piano than a guitar.

Return to “Public Space”