Classical-type pieces from non-classical artists

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Smudger5150

Classical-type pieces from non-classical artists

Post by Smudger5150 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:54 pm

What pieces are there that are have been composed by non-classical artists that are in classical guitar, flamenco or spanish style?

This is another one of those expanding-ones-repertoire questions but rather than list all the fingerstyle, blues, folk etc pieces what we know can be played (and the list might go on forever - not necessarily a bad thing), I wondered what are the 'classical'-type pieces out there.

Or even intros/excerpts to other pieces of music

My starter is the following:-

Steve Howe - Mood for a day.
Alex Lifeson(Rush) - Broon's bane
Alex Lifeson(Rush) - Intro to The Trees
Alex Lifeson(Rush) - Intro to Farewell to Kings
Steve Hackett(Genesis) - Horizons
Steve Morse - Flat Baroque (I think)
Al Di Meola/Paco De Lucia - Mediterranean Sundance
Van Halen - Intro to Little Guitars
Rik Emmett (duet with Steve Morse) - Midsummers Daydream
Randy Rhoads - Dee

Any others out there?
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

isaac_suit6

Re: Classical-type pieces from non-classical artists

Post by isaac_suit6 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:24 pm

There is Mason Williams of Classical Gas fame. He has a book titled, "Classical Gass, The Music of Mason Williams" that has, aside from Classical Gas, his solo guitar work and ensembles (guitar/violin, guitar/flute, guitar duo and trio) music in musical notation and tabs.
Cheers,
isaac_suit6

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:17 pm

Eric Carmen - All By Myself
Procul Harum - Whiter Shade of Pale

Edit: Read Classical GUITAR. In that case, are we talking instrument, style, or both?
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:28 pm

Jim Davidson wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:17 pm

Edit: Read Classical GUITAR. In that case, are we talking instrument, style, or both?
Thanks Jim but I was thinking more of pieces composed by non-classical artists and performed on the acoustic/classical guitar.
I didn't realise All By Myself was based on Sergei Rachmaninoff's "Piano Concerto No. 2" according to my quite Web research.
It begs the question where sample ends and inspired-by begins.
Alicia Keys is classical-trained on the piano, I believe, and has used classical interludes in her music.
And let's not forget the Nina Simone who aspired to be a concert pianist and apparently gave a very good audition to get into Julliard School of music but was rejected, she stated, based on racial grounds. Which probably inspired a lot of her lyrics/stance thereafter.

But I've done a bit of digging around this and I think, not surprisingly, that there are acoustic guitar and prog rock artists who have produced classical pieces or used the classical/nylon guitar at various points. Will list a few in a following reply

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

franks59

Post by franks59 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:24 pm

Smudger5150 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:54 pm
Or even intros/excerpts to other pieces of music
Intro to Roundabout by Yes.

Frank

klangbild

Post by klangbild » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:41 pm

Sting - 'Fragile'
Sting/Dominic Miller - 'Shape of My Heart'

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:06 pm

Smudger5150 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:28 pm
Jim Davidson wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:17 pm

Thanks Jim but I was thinking more of pieces composed by non-classical artists and performed on the acoustic/classical guitar.
Ah, so if you just mean the instrument then it's a pretty long list! Nylon string guitar is everywhere from American folk music to flamenco to South American music to jazz, but stylistically and technically it has little of anything in common with classical music.

If you also mean a classical style, then there's a distinction to be made between artists who sample/quote/recite a classical work and those who compose original music in a classical style.

Examples:

Nylon guitar, regardless of style - most things Willie Nelson

Nylon guitar, quoting classical - Spanish Caravan by the Doors

Nylon guitar, original work in a classical style - Diary of a Madman by Ozzy Osbourne (though this is a subtle ripoff of Brouwer Etude 6). A personal favorite of mine is the end of "Swim to the Moon" by the prog-metal band Between the Buried and Me right before the final, climactic chorus.

If you want more original music in a classical style on guitar, then you'll have far better luck with electric guitar. There's a whole neo-classical shred scene out there pioneered by Ritchie Blackmore and Yngwie Malmsteen. A personal favorite of mine would be Defying Gravity by Vinnie Moore.
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:47 pm

How about Anji, by Davey Graham.

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:24 am

Well here are quite a few more examples of the type of thing I was thinking of i.e. pieces played on classical or acoustic guitar that were in a classical/flamenco/spanish style but composed by or played by non-classical artists. With the idea being that they might be pieces that we on Delcamp might be interested in playing for a bit of variety or to increase our repertoire outside of the 'established' pieces.
Of course, the lines blur a bit when it comes to styles because there is crossover between jazz, folk and classical.

Steve Hackett/Genesis - Intro to Blood on the rooftops.

Steve Howe - the Ancient. Also, a solo in Queen's Innuendo.

Mark Kozelek(Sun Kil Moon) - much, maybe all, of the album Admiral Fell Promises was performed on classical guitar after Kozelek had re-visited his classical guitar training and Segovia CDs. Only just heard about it but a quick listen highlights his classical guitar background.

Alex Lifeson - Intro to La Villa Strangiato. Rivendell and Panacea are songs played on classical guitar or in a classical guitar-type style.

Al De Meola, Paco De Lucia, John Mclaughlin on their Passion, grace and fire album. Fiery acoustic/flamenco crossover album. Passion, Grace and Fire track written by De Meola is probably my favourite here but it's all good stuff!

Steve Stevens (Bozzio Levin Stevens) - plays various flamenco-infused pieces in this prog-supergroups albums. I say prog but Stevens was known for his Billy Idol work (i.e. rock/punk) which wasn't really prog at all. So finding out about his versatility was quite interesting.

Orphaned Land - Rainbow-The Ressurection, The Calm before the Flood

Allan Holdsworth (UK) - Intro to evermore

jan akkerman (focus) - le clochard (although it seems to be played against a background of keyboards)

Stephen Caudel Wine Dark Sea

Philippe Cauvin - Automne album played on classical guitar

Rik Emmett and Steve Morse - Up in the air
Rik Emmett - petite etude

Mike Oldfield - Taurus 3 from the excellent Crises album has a few acoustic runs that verge on flamenco/spanish style.

Maybe stretching it a bit, here are a few other interesting pieces:-

Kansas - Dust in the wind
David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) - Is there anybody out there?
Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top) - Asleep in the desert.
Los Lobos - Canción Del Mariachi (Mexican style acoustic playing)
Les Négresses Vertes - The intro to Sous le soleil de Bodega is a kind of gypsy/flamenco hybrid. Love the Famille Heurese album by them but it's not a guitar album as such - it just has a few nice touches of guitar occasionally.

And I was thinking of some of the Dominic Miller work that he'd done with Sting too. He plays classical repertoire too and has released at least 1 straightforward classical guitar album that I know of.

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:31 am

There are guitarists too who play nylon string or who have had some classical guitar training and this is a short list of a few I can think of.
But I don't know if they have written specifically the type of pieces I was thinking of:-
Eric Roche ( an allrounder acoustic player who unfortunately died in 2005 I think and has done CG arrangements. His piece Angel looks promising..)
Earl Klugh (jazz)
Bole Sete (bossa nova, jazz etc)
Charlie byrd (jazz)
Muriel Anderson (country but did have some CG training - maybe she's composed something? )

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:36 am

David Gilmour: Is There Anybody Out There (a simple arpegio piece on a nylon string). This was actually the piece that made me want to play more fingerstyle folk which ultimately led to classical.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:52 am

Jim Davidson wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:06 pm

Ah, so if you just mean the instrument then it's a pretty long list! Nylon string guitar is everywhere from American folk music to flamenco to South American music to jazz, but stylistically and technically it has little of anything in common with classical music.

If you also mean a classical style, then there's a distinction to be made between artists who sample/quote/recite a classical work and those who compose original music in a classical style.
Well I thought I'd narrowed the topic down but was clearly mistaken! :lol:
I appreciate there is a lot of acoustic and/or nylon playing out there.
I thought if I focused on classical/flamenco/spanish it would narrow it down but clearly the topic wants to burst out beyond my original idea!

I guess I'm thinking of what I see in the CG exam syllabuses (syllabi?) in that there is variety from baroque to south american to spanish to some folk-influenced pieces.
I know it can be a tricky term to pin down when some people think of the period of classical music and others think of 'art' music in general. And others on other threads have just said it's all just music.
So I was just trying to put give some kind of general guide to the type of pieces I was thinking of and hoping we'd get a list that was in that type of area/ballpark.

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:59 am

And thanks for the suggestion of the neo-classical shred scene although I'm quite familiar with it through players like Tony Macalpine, Jason Becker (shame what happened to him) and Paul Gilbert.
But I've never listened to Vinnie Moore but must check him out because I've heard good things about him before.
Of course there's Joe Satriani and Steve Vai but I think of them of being much more than just neo-classical shredders or whatever you want to call those type of players.

khayes

Post by khayes » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:25 am

Smudger5150 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:31 am
...Muriel Anderson (country but did have some CG training - maybe she's composed something? )
She's actually quite a prolific composer and a great concert entertainer. Check out her website.
Ken

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:05 pm

khayes wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:25 am
Smudger5150 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:31 am
...Muriel Anderson (country but did have some CG training - maybe she's composed something? )
She's actually quite a prolific composer and a great concert entertainer. Check out her website.
Well I was hoping for you good people to quote some for me ;-)

I know she composes but I've only had the chance to listen to a couple of her more-generic country-type fingerstyle pieces.
I did a bit of a search for this thread and saw her playing Recuerdos quite well but didn't find any pieces that she'd composed in more of a classical/flam/span. style.

But it's a bit like this Eric Roche guy I read about. He's did some arranging for CG of ballads. But he sounds like an all-rounder so there's probably a lot of general fingerstyle/acoustic stuff he's done.
But I haven't had the chance to really research his compositions.

It's like I said in the OP and as Jim mentioned - if we broaden it to be all fingerstyle/acoustic styles then there's a heck of a lot of stuff out there. And plenty we could play on the nylon/classical guitar. I was just trying to focus the thread.
Of course, there are examples of crossovers like York's Sunburst which I think he meant as a steel-string acoustic piece and then John Williams liked it and started playing it for CG. And now it's a piece of the 'repertoire'. Unless I'm misinformed and Andrew York meant it for CG too.

Return to “Public Space”