Classical-type pieces from non-classical artists

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
robin loops

Re: Classical-type pieces from non-classical artists

Post by robin loops » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:12 pm

Search YouTube for A video of Chet Atkins playing Recuerdos quite proficiently.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

RainyDayMan

Post by RainyDayMan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:00 am

Smudger5150 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:31 am
There are guitarists too who play nylon string or who have had some classical guitar training and this is a short list of a few I can think of.
But I don't know if they have written specifically the type of pieces I was thinking of:-
Eric Roche ( an allrounder acoustic player who unfortunately died in 2005 I think and has done CG arrangements. His piece Angel looks promising..)
Earl Klugh (jazz)
Bole Sete (bossa nova, jazz etc)
Charlie byrd (jazz)
Muriel Anderson (country but did have some CG training - maybe she's composed something? )
Andy Summers of The Police studied classical guitar for many years and credits that for his unusual technique on electric. He still had an interest and keeps in touch with notable classical players like Ben Vedery.

khayes

Post by khayes » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:14 am

Smudger5150 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:05 pm
khayes wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:25 am
Smudger5150 wrote:
...Muriel Anderson (country but did have some CG training - maybe she's composed something? )
She's actually quite a prolific composer and a great concert entertainer. Check out her website.
Well I was hoping for you good people to quote some for me ;-)

I know she composes but I've only had the chance to listen to a couple of her more-generic country-type fingerstyle pieces.
I did a bit of a search for this thread and saw her playing Recuerdos quite well but didn't find any pieces that she'd composed in more of a classical/flam/span. style.

But it's a bit like this Eric Roche guy I read about. He's did some arranging for CG of ballads. But he sounds like an all-rounder so there's probably a lot of general fingerstyle/acoustic stuff he's done.
But I haven't had the chance to really research his compositions.

It's like I said in the OP and as Jim mentioned - if we broaden it to be all fingerstyle/acoustic styles then there's a heck of a lot of stuff out there. And plenty we could play on the nylon/classical guitar. I was just trying to focus the thread.
Of course, there are examples of crossovers like York's Sunburst which I think he meant as a steel-string acoustic piece and then John Williams liked it and started playing it for CG. And now it's a piece of the 'repertoire'. Unless I'm misinformed and Andrew York meant it for CG too.
that's why I encouraged you to visit her site. OK try these: Arioso, Prelude To a New Morning, Parisian Waltz, Lullaby for Leo.
Ken

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:28 am

Thanks Ken - I just listened to Arioso yesterday and thought it seemed appropriate.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

RainyDayMan

Post by RainyDayMan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:53 am

To broaden the discussion, one might consider another aspect. that is, non-classical songs that lend themselves to classical guitar arrangements, played by real classical guitarists. In this category I'd place the works of Paul Simon, the Beatles (McCartney especially), perhaps James Taylor and Sting.

Steve Langham

Post by Steve Langham » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:35 am

A few favs of mine would have to be:
- Is there anybody out there (Pink Floyd)
- Blackbird (The Beatles), this one was always my favourite when I first started playing the guitar back as a teenager
- Anji (The version by the late Bert Jansch)
- Anything by Nick Drake (some great open tunings)
- Some songs by Led Zeppelin (Bron Yr Aur, Going to California, Over the hills and far away, The Rain Song)
- Bob Dylan (Don’t think twice it’s alright, boots of Spanish leather)
- Paul Simon (and Garfunkel), numerous

These were all the folk style pieces I used to play before discovering classical later in life.
Bron Yr Aur by Led Zeppelin, when I first heard that as a 15 year old, I was amazed by it at the time. It sounded like two or three guitars were playing together - little did I know about multiple voices/lines within a piece.

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:15 pm

A few more from fingerstyle/acoustic guitarists that are of a style one might expect to play on the CG:-
Alexander Gluklikh - Winter
Enrique Coria - Variaciones de milonga (from his latin touch album )
John Renbourn - Lady goes to church

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Benjamin Woolman - Soul Discovery

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:00 am

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Ralph Towner!!

2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:45 pm

RainyDayMan wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:00 am
Smudger5150 wrote:
There are guitarists too who play nylon string or who have had some classical guitar training and this is a short list of a few I can think of.
But I don't know if they have written specifically the type of pieces I was thinking of:-
Eric Roche ( an allrounder acoustic player who unfortunately died in 2005 I think and has done CG arrangements. His piece Angel looks promising..)
Earl Klugh (jazz)
Charlie byrd (jazz)
Muriel Anderson (country but did have some CG training - maybe she's composed something? )
Andy Summers of The Police studied classical guitar for many years and credits that for his unusual technique on electric. He still had an interest and keeps in touch with notable classical players like Ben Vedery.
I was thinking of Andy Summers too because I thought I'd read in the past that he played CG with one of the London Orchestras occasionally. But I couldn't find any reference to anything he's recorded that is of a classical/spanish style.

hoppy

Post by hoppy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:43 pm

Smudger5150 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:24 am
Mike Oldfield - Taurus 3 from the excellent Crises album has a few acoustic runs that verge on flamenco/spanish style.
'Spanish Guitar...'

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:00 pm

hoppy wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:43 pm
Smudger5150 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:24 am
Mike Oldfield - Taurus 3 from the excellent Crises album has a few acoustic runs that verge on flamenco/spanish style.
'Spanish Guitar...'
Sorry, I'm not sure what you meant by this. Could you elaborate? i.e. What mistake did I make (I presume)? :oops:

RainyDayMan

Post by RainyDayMan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:44 am

Smudger5150 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:45 pm
RainyDayMan wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:00 am
Smudger5150 wrote:
Earl Klugh (jazz)
Charlie byrd (jazz)
I was thinking of Andy Summers too because I thought I'd read in the past that he played CG with one of the London Orchestras occasionally. But I couldn't find any reference to anything he's recorded that is of a classical/spanish style.
I don't know if Summers plays classical guitar in public. His essays on his official website shows a definite love of the guitar including classical. He has been known to hang out with luminaries like Ben Vedery.

MustardTiger

Post by MustardTiger » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:34 pm

How has no one mentioned Emerson, Lake, and Palmer yet? Maybe I missed it...

Return to “Public Space”