Classical-type pieces from non-classical artists

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Smudger5150

Re: Classical-type pieces from non-classical artists

Post by Smudger5150 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:43 pm

Must listen to more ELP though. I'm only familiar with a best-of album I have. Love Fanfare for the common man and Hoedown though amongst others.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:44 pm

Hadn't heard it before today but Ritchie Blackmore's Memminger is a baroque-type piece to my ears.

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

hoppy

Post by hoppy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:23 pm

Smudger5150 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:00 pm
hoppy wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:43 pm
Smudger5150 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:24 am
Mike Oldfield - Taurus 3 from the excellent Crises album has a few acoustic runs that verge on flamenco/spanish style.
'Spanish Guitar...'
Sorry, I'm not sure what you meant by this. Could you elaborate? i.e. What mistake did I make (I presume)? :oops:
Sorry - it is a 'lyric' from 'tubular bells' - the piece that made Mike Oldfield famous (Also the Exorcist them song). At one point there is a spoken word announcement of each instrument as it enters. Once you hear it you'll hopefully get my obtuse reference! Ironically you can't hear much spanish guitar in it.

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:40 pm

hoppy wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:23 pm
Smudger5150 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:00 pm
hoppy wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:43 pm

'Spanish Guitar...'
Sorry, I'm not sure what you meant by this. Could you elaborate? i.e. What mistake did I make (I presume)? :oops:
Sorry - it is a 'lyric' from 'tubular bells' - the piece that made Mike Oldfield famous (Also the Exorcist them song). At one point there is a spoken word announcement of each instrument as it enters. Once you hear it you'll hopefully get my obtuse reference! Ironically you can't hear much spanish guitar in it.
Aaaah - :lol: - I know exactly what you mean now! Maybe I might have understood if you had put in brackets something like '...(spoken formally by older-sounding gentleman)..' ;-)

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:57 pm

RainyDayMan wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:53 am
To broaden the discussion, one might consider another aspect. that is, non-classical songs that lend themselves to classical guitar arrangements, played by real classical guitarists. In this category I'd place the works of Paul Simon, the Beatles (McCartney especially), perhaps James Taylor and Sting.
Bruce Cockburn and Don Maclean too?

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:51 pm

Baker by Panxty Irwin

Genious

Post by Genious » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:29 am

I might have missed it if it was mentioned, so apologies if it's redundant but Jimmie Vaughan's intro to Flamenco Dancer, played by Rene Martinez (SRVs guitar tech) is short and to the point, but classical
Last edited by Genious on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Genious

Post by Genious » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:30 am

robin loops wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:12 pm
Search YouTube for A video of Chet Atkins playing Recuerdos quite proficiently.
I just watched that video of him - he is never not mind-boggling to watch and had never seen that video before. Thanks

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:28 am

Couple of pieces from my Brazil Guitar Masters CDs seemed more 'classical-esque' than the other pieces:-

Velho Amigo by Baden Powell
Bachiana Opus 6 by Jose Barrense-dias

Of course, there are probably lots of Baden-Powell pieces that could be included but I'm still getting to know his work.

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:29 am

Genious wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:29 am
I might have missed it if it was mentioned, so apologies if it's redundant but Jimmie Vaughan's intro to Flamenco Dancer, played by Rene Martinez (SRVs guitar tech) is short and to the point, but classical
Not mentioned yet and an ideal addition to the list (to my mind).

Genious

Post by Genious » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:36 pm

The funny thing is, I've been listening to that song for ages and never really questioned who it was playing the intro - it just never occurred to me until this post. And I got searching it on the tube and the very first comment mentioned Martinez - which then sent me down another rabbit hole - where I learned, from him, that I've been stringing my guitars the completely wrong way for 40 years.

Return to “Public Space”