Bass Stopping Technique Solution

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
filmic

Bass Stopping Technique Solution

Post by filmic » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:01 am

Hi,

In my workbook, Charles Duncan A Modern Approach To Classical Guitar 2nd Ed. Part One, page 30, 'music in two parts' they talk about "Bass Stopping" but say it's an advance technique.

I can't find anything on youtube describing this. Can someone direct?

Not a big deal now I guess, but I'm curious cause he's mentioning it.

Thanks!!

Joey Grimaldi

Re: Bass Stopping Technique Solution

Post by Joey Grimaldi » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:09 am

Excess bass notes tend to muddy the sound, using your thumb or an extra finger on the left hand to mute can help to tidy up ones playing.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:36 am

filmic wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:01 am

I can't find anything on youtube describing this. Can someone direct?

Try a Youtube search for string damping.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:58 am

filmic - stopping unwanted bass notes is definitely a technique that you want to work on after you feel comfortable with your right hand position. If you are constantly refining your RH and still unsure of its functionality, I'd say don't worry about it.

As for the technique, simply put - you are (in some way) stopping bass notes from ringing. Either because of a rest in the music or because the bass note interferes with the clarity of the bass line and/or harmony. There are a few common ways of doing this.

Probably the simplest is placing your thumb back on the string of the bass note you played. Buy doing this, you'll stop the string from vibrating, thus "muting it" and "stopping" the note from ringing.

Another method is to use the left side of the thumb to gently touch the string vibrating to mute out the note. This technique is great when you are actually using the thumb to play another bass note on an adjacent string. This allows for the two bass notes not to ring into each other and clearly present the bass line and/or harmony change.

A 3rd way is to use a Left Hand fingering. This is probably considered more of an electric guitar technique. With this you reach an unused left hand finger up to stop the string. Sometimes if the right hand is very complex and doesn't have the ability to mute the bass note comfortably, this may be your only option.
Nick Cutroneo - Classical Guitarist, performer/teacher/suzuki instructor

filmic

Post by filmic » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:41 pm

Thanks Joey, George, and Nick..... I'll try those once my arpeggios become more comfortable. I'm starting to see some improvement with them now. I found some great finger stretching exercises on youtube. Much less painful now.

The A and E do tend to drone on.

String Dampening:
(from min 7 onward.)
https://youtu.be/Efv2K_cg2XI

WilliamSchart

Post by WilliamSchart » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:24 pm

Nick Cutroneo wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:58 am
filmic - stopping unwanted bass notes is definitely a technique that you want to work on after you feel comfortable with your right hand position. If you are constantly refining your RH and still unsure of its functionality, I'd say don't worry about it.

As for the technique, simply put - you are (in some way) stopping bass notes from ringing. Either because of a rest in the music or because the bass note interferes with the clarity of the bass line and/or harmony. There are a few common ways of doing this.

Probably the simplest is placing your thumb back on the string of the bass note you played. Buy doing this, you'll stop the string from vibrating, thus "muting it" and "stopping" the note from ringing.

Another method is to use the left side of the thumb to gently touch the string vibrating to mute out the note. This technique is great when you are actually using the thumb to play another bass note on an adjacent string. This allows for the two bass notes not to ring into each other and clearly present the bass line and/or harmony change.

And another way to stop a note with the fretting hand is when you play another note on the same string. Even just removing the finger will do it.
A 3rd way is to use a Left Hand fingering. This is probably considered more of an electric guitar technique. With this you reach an unused left hand finger up to stop the string. Sometimes if the right hand is very complex and doesn't have the ability to mute the bass note comfortably, this may be your only option.

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:16 am

Here's a nice etude by Napoleon Coste, the player says the point is to stop the bass strings "by any means possible"

[media]https://youtu.be/HuFTHgqEgis[/media]

She shows a combination of the various possibilities as they work or don't work in the different situations!
I probably don't recommend actually trying this etude too seriously yet though, it's super hard!

Return to “Public Space”