New Guitar Case Reopened, Old Case Tossed: this STINKS

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
MhyrrBenz

New Guitar Case Reopened, Old Case Tossed: this STINKS

Post by MhyrrBenz » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:20 am

A polyurethane/chemical/maybe formaldehyde or glue odor coming from deep plush lining?

1 - - -I had guitar in overnight for first time and woke to practice, had to put it down and wipe with lemon oil, (which I only use once a year) as it had gotten lining odor contamination of polyurethane odor. Wondering now if it does any damage to guitar wood? Also, had to close case while practicing to not continue the odor trails. Help. What should I do, if anything? 2 - - - One More Thing: I noticed the case doesn' t stay OPEN. Is this normal for the type of case? I had to tear of ribbon between top and bottom , on end - - - just to keep it open. Bad design or what?

I just tried to let it air for 30 days, open, in a few positions, and put guitar back in once during this time--after ozone generator & baking soda treatment, for a night. I took it out and not only is case still strongly foul, in a chemical way, the guitar is also, again. Yes I tried Fabreeze. I am choking and hope giving you my details will provide some sort of relief from someone. I hate to taint the company who made it, Crossrock,(CRA400CBK) since I ran into a guitar shop to buy alternate case and found odors in different brands too, though not as bad.

I had scheduled a return and when they came to pick it up I had just tried the ozone & baking soda and thought to give it a good try, but here I am, 2 wks. later and guitar is on ironing board in bedroom, case by window in living room, like most of this past month. Any ideas, other than tossing it out window? Any hardshell cases that have thick lining and no stank? I know you can't recommend products here, but I see that in every other post.
:merci: Mhyrr

beanctr

Re: New Guitar Case Reopened, Old Case Tossed: this STINKS

Post by beanctr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:08 pm

Seems pretty common. I have to air out my humidcase for a while before I could use it. R
"Guitar Hobbyist"

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:43 pm

It won't do anything to eliminate any hazardous to your health effects of the chemicals, but if it's just the smell you want to alleviate go to an auto supply store and get one of those little pine tree deodorizers that you hang in a car. Put it in a closed case overnight, and in the morning the case will smell like Sherwood Forest.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

MhyrrBenz

Post by MhyrrBenz » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:36 pm

Thanks for replies. I was informed by Info@Crossrock that because the case is acceptable for sale in California, the hazards were not grave for humans. If I wasn't so cynical . . . I'd believe it. Wondering how long humidcase had top be aired out for, as this is going on 30 days.

I like keeping my case open in my practice room, so I could put it down safely, now, they're in sep. rooms. After 40 yrs. with same case, this is a life-altering experience. :shock: I don't think I can handle the pine tree idea. :desole:

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:47 pm

Higher temperatures will increase molecular activity, i.e. drive out the solvent used in the manufacture of the insulation foam faster. Leave the case open in a car parked in full sun for a few days. It could easily get to 150 deg F in the hot interior of a car.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:51 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:47 pm
Higher temperatures will increase molecular activity, i.e. drive out the solvent used in the manufacture of the insulation foam faster. Leave the case open in a car parked in full sun for a few days. It could easily get to 150 deg F in the hot interior of a car.
But don't use your own car ;)

simonm

Post by simonm » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:01 pm

MhyrrBenz wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:20 am
... I know you can't recommend products here, but I see that in every other post.
Nothing against recommending products, you just can't put in any direct links to the products in an online shop.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:06 am

I had the same problem with a Karura case.
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

a human

Post by a human » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:39 am

Have you tried spritzing Fabreeze on the lining? It does a great job on fabric odors. Also prop up outdoors on a porch in the sun?
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
The rest come and go.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:26 pm

Think of this as some sort of initiation.
It’s one of the joys of guitar ownership that people seldom mention. I have tossed two cases over the years both times because (I assume) they had been stored in damp basements or attics or some such places and there was no getting rid of the smell. Such is the fun of older or vintage guitars. Sellers will always wax lyrical about the dreaded ‘bell-like trebles’ and such but never mention that the whole thing smells like it’s spent a decade safely stored in a bear’s armpit.
Over time the smell will be transferred to the guitar and that can be reduced or got rid of by using the little sachets of potpourri type stuff available from Rosette Products, which is run by Member here, Kent. It’s made of cinnamon and wood shavings and guitar-related stuff. Otherwise, some people leave coffee beans in the case for days on end but the baking powder thing is more widely used. One thing though, while some leave a little container of baking powder inside the case I’ve found that it worked better if I spread the BP over the bottom of the inside of the case, brushed it well in and left it for a few days then vacuumed out the BP before repeating with fresh BP covering the inside of the lid. I’ve also tried dryer sheets but the smell they left was as bad or possibly worse than the original - but sweeter. There is also a thing called Nil Odor that I’ve been told works but I’ve never used it but you can get it via Amazon apparently. Activated charcoal will probs work but again, I’ve never used it.
If it all gets too bad Hiscox cases are value for money and I’ve never had the stink factor there. Others may have though.
Best of luck.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Pat Foster
Luthier

Post by Pat Foster » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:51 pm

I haven't had any success with scented products that cover up the offender. Some enzyme-based ones have worked for me, only those that don't have "a fresh scent" or any other hype that denotes a cover-up product. Leaving a case open in full sun for a few days has worked too. But then there are the hopeless cases (pun intended) that seem beyond help.

es335

Post by es335 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:10 pm

Pat Foster wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:51 pm
... Leaving a case open in full sun for a few days has worked too. But then there are the hopeless cases (pun intended) that seem beyond help.
This worked for me also very well!

Another suggestion I heard but did not try yet personally is the use of baking soda. Disperse a bag of baking soda in the case, keep it closed for one or two days and when it’s reopened and vacuum cleaned the odor is/should be gone!?

BTW I do remember a by that time app. 10 years old case, which did nor smell but made the bass strings corrode within a few days. This was definitely one of the hopeless cases! :(

Return to “Public Space”