Would anyone here purchase classical on vinyl?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
markblues

Would anyone here purchase classical on vinyl?

Post by markblues » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:02 am

I've just completed my second album and have been considering releasing a limited number on vinyl. I'd be very interested to know if given the option would you pick a CD at £10 or a Vinyl at £25?

The cost of producing small numbers is not far off the latter price. That is unless anyone knows a cheaper, quality manufacturer than any I have found out there?

Anyway, I look forward to your comments and include a link to my album cover for a giggle. Not the standard classical guitar album cover I guess. I was unable to add an image here so https://www.markhussey.com/albums
Guitarist / arranger / producer
http://www.markhussey.com

Peter Frary

Re: Would anyone here purchase classical on vinyl?

Post by Peter Frary » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:39 pm

Not many folks buy CDs anymore, let alone LPs, but I happen to be a vinyl collector but tend to buy LPs for historical value and the occasional spin. I'd spring for the CD if it was a new release.
I play a Cordoba Mini so I look taller on stage!

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:45 pm

While I prefer the sound of vinyl and do buy it from time to time, it would have to be pretty special to pay that much!
Kenny Hill Signature 2017 spruce/cedar/Indian
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:45 pm

Duplicate post.
Kenny Hill Signature 2017 spruce/cedar/Indian
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br

albert-canuck

Post by albert-canuck » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:58 pm

+1 I buy mostly used vinyl and new cd's unless there is something unique on vinyl. So I would buy a cd.
2004 Luis Sevillano Flamenco
1979 Ramirez 1a 10 String
1992 Paulino Berbabe M50
1968 Taurus model 56
2005 Dan Lankford 8 Course Renaissance Lute
2008 000 Bertoncini
2005 Breedlove C25 Northwest Classic
old German Lute Guitar

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:21 pm

albert-canuck wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:58 pm
+1 I buy mostly used vinyl and new cd's unless there is something unique on vinyl. So I would buy a cd.
+1

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:39 am

Some of my best classical albums are on vinyl. But I would only buy vinyl if it’s a quality pressing that wasn’t warped as so many reissue vinyl records are these days. If that was the case, I would go for a cd.

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:14 am

I might be interested in the vinyl as long as the sound quality was good. Lately I bought two new vinyl: Amy Winehouse and Coldplay and the sound quality was dreadful.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

klangbild

Post by klangbild » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:55 pm

I think cg sounds fantastic on vinyl - I have a couple cg albums on vinyl. Though I do have a couple turntables, I don't have an amp to power them atm, or a pair of suitable speakers. The two cg albums I have are Julian Bream 'Baroque Guitar' on RCA Victor, and Narciso Yepes 'J.S. Bach-S.L. Weiss' on Deutch Grammphone. I bought them in the mid-late 90's when vinyl was dirt cheap. I have a bunch of stuff that is probably worth a fair $ now, a ton of Dylan, Beatles, Byrds, Neil Young, Pink Floyd, etc. I'm actually thinking of selling off my vinyl collection for a new guitar at some point!

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:45 pm

I remember back in the 80's hearing symphonic music on a high end turn table and tube amp based system. I was not impressed then. I'm not convinced now. Vinyl is just too limiting. You can ONLY listen to vinyl where ever you have placed your turn table. If you go to the trouble of digitizing from vinyl, you defeat the purpose and introduce noise, EQ variances, phase distortions, and a bunch 'o junk sound you don't want.

To answer the question: no, I won't listen to CG on vinyl, nor any other music for that matter.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

ragdoll serenade

Post by ragdoll serenade » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:07 pm

I have no interest in vinyl but I do still purchase CDs.

markblues

Post by markblues » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:47 am

Thanks to you all for your thoughts. Enlightening really as I expected most would prefer vinyl. It seems thats more Vinyl records are sold these days than both CDs and downloads. Streaming is slowly sapping any monetary value out of niche music so to have some physical is beneficial. I think, based on what you have all said, that I'll lily stick to CDs for the moment. Thanks for your input
Guitarist / arranger / producer
http://www.markhussey.com

DLMJ-1234

Post by DLMJ-1234 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:29 pm

vinyls out sold CDs later year in the UK.

I buy vinyl - its the best and only way to properly listen these days.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:57 pm

I would also Mark. I buy quite a bit of vinyl. There are those that talk about hiss and pops, etc., but they are "doing it wrong". Regardless, it will be more a labor of love and a more permanent and expressive final product on vinyl. There's been some written on this in the Andrew York thread. Also, regarding the labor of love aspect of the vinyl creation, if your interested, track down some of what Jerome Sabbagh has said about his album The Turn. Here's a snippet from a recent interview in SP from Sabbagh. Hope this offers some perspective for you (note both Sabbagh and York used Kickstarter for the vinyl)
Pressing vinyl is a hard nut to crack for most jazz musicians. But lured by Doug Sax's offer and his innate sense that The Turn would benefit from a vinyl edition, Sabbagh started a funding campaign and went all in.

"I pressed to vinyl because if done well it always sound better," Sabbagh acknowledges. "And Doug Sax wanted to master it to vinyl. That meant a lot to me. I love the records he worked on like Way Out West and some '70s orchestral recordings. Given that we were pressing from tape and Doug was involved I thought it would be worth it.

"We originally recorded the album live to tape and two-track at Sear Sound with engineer James Farber," he continues. "Because I was on a budget, we went to tape but backed it up with high-rez digital. Had I known I was going to press vinyl I would have gone analog all-the-way. So, a year later, the record is out, I started a Kickstarter campaign, and offered some free tracks, posted tracks and reviews. It's easier to ask people to fund something that already exists, as did the CD. I was asking for money specifically to press to vinyl. I ultimately raised 10k, which I used for overall vinyl costs. Vinyl mastering cost roughly $2000 for 4 sides; pressing double LP vinyl at Quality Record Pressings was about $5000; printing the covers was another $1000; then the labels, and shipping." ... "This was a labor of love," Sabbagh states. "I wouldn't advise anyone to do this unless they are willing to get really involved...But I don't think it would have been successful if I hadn't been as careful as I was all the way. From using engineer James Farber to Doug Sax for mastering. With vinyl so many things can go wrong so you really have to be careful, and do the QC yourself and chase down every click and pop on the test pressings. You can't outsource that to anyone. But ultimately I knew this would sound really good on vinyl."
物の哀れ

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:12 pm

When you say vinyl outsells CDs, is that new CDs or used CDs?
I never buy anything at £25 a pop, least of all a piece of vinyl.
(even a book at £25 would be a rare purchase and even then because I'm used to buying academic books)
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Return to “Public Space”