Would anyone here purchase classical on vinyl?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
markblues

Re: Would anyone here purchase classical on vinyl?

Post by markblues » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:44 pm

I don't find many people with CD players these days. More people I know seem to have a record player or stream....
Guitarist / arranger / producer

Simon the Pieman

Post by Simon the Pieman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:07 pm

I have a friend who started a record label precisely for the purpose of releasing high quality recordings on limited edition vinyl, at a similar price to what you quote. He is doing well and all his releases seem to sell out. If I had more time to really 'listen' to recorded music - and was prepared to cough up the considerable outlay for top-end audio equipment - then I am sure I would buy as much as possible on high quality vinyl. But sadly most of my music is listened to while I am driving on CD or Radio, or at home on CD or MP3 through portable bluetooth wireless speakers. In that respect I am very much part of the convenience economy, not the connoisseur sector - I save that for my guitars !

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:08 pm

And for driving, I assume mp3 is the future. (yeah, OK, if you insist on fine detail, you may stream wifi or something. I don't think it matters much)
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Brynmor

Post by Brynmor » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:00 pm

Nobody has mentioned the difference in sound quality between analog and digital recordings. The preference for vinyl is surely where the original recording was analog. Once a recording has passed through digital processing then vinyl should sound no better than CD and probably worse.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:00 am

Ah but vinyl adds that slight subliminal frictional hiss of the stylus and that slight subliminal hum from the motor and it all goes to give it a warm, "natural" sound.

It is worth realising that no system gives natural sound - they give sounds that a listener can and will perceive, or assume, to be natural, but really it's just one that wows them. I have a friend who is always ranting on about this - he used to work in the vicinity of Centre Point and came to spend lunchtimes regularly going in one of the top, top, top-end hifi shops in the area and listening to different combinations of gear with the approval of the owner. There's this belief that a good hifi will sound like a string quartet is actually in your room, but, possibly a bit like at the opticians, where the tests are all subjective, when you ask people to choose gear they think makes it sound like the string quartet is in your room, they choose something that gives a totally different sound (quoting the owner of the shop) - experts can actually choose gear that DOES sound like a string quartet is in your room, but it sounds crap to a listener. What people buy when they spend £100,000 on hifi is a mind-blowing aural experience without being natural in any way, irregardless [/joke] of whether it's analogue or digital.

Erm, what's my conclusion? I've forgotten, but I hate vinyl, but whatever rocks your boat. If your aural experience from vinyl is mind-blowing and not ruined by clicks and pops and scratches, then go for it, but realise what you are going for. If you're convinced, that's all that matters.

It's just that with vinyl there's a temptation for OCD sufferers to be tweaking all the time looking for imaginary perfection which they will never get.

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:17 am

Probably not. I haven't had a turntable since 2010 and I unloaded most of my LPs around the same time, and haven't ever felt the need to go back.

Brynmor

Post by Brynmor » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:01 pm

...and came to spend lunchtimes regularly going in one of the top, top, top-end hifi shops in the area...
Which top-end hifi shop was this?

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:25 pm

Brynmor wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:01 pm
...and came to spend lunchtimes regularly going in one of the top, top, top-end hifi shops in the area...
I can't remember offhand - and I don't know if it still exists. I know it wasn't one of the couple in Tottenham Court Rd that had listening studios in the basement (most other audio shops in TCR were total junk). It was either in a backstreet towards Fitrozvia/Hanway St kind of area or it was in Soho. I can find out exactly if you really want to know. Whenever my friend tells me that story, I always allow some leeway for exaggeration, and you should too, but I think the general gist of it sounds correct - I've rehearsed with, and accompanied, string players in living rooms, and I can picture the different sounds under discussion.

K.J.West looks like the most likely. No, I'm guessing. I'll email him.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:51 pm

markblues wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:02 am
... I'd be very interested to know if given the option would you pick a CD at £10 or a Vinyl at £25?
Hi Mark

CD, for the following reasons:
  • portability
  • price (I'm quite poor)
  • shipping...an LP across the Atlantic would arrive broken or warped
  • I already own CD playing equipment (havent had a turntable for 20 years)
  • ease of playing / copying for educational purposes (e.g. I teach Music History & it is much easier to cue up an example to use in class if i have a readout of time in minutes / seconds)
  • I don't stream, because:
    • I dont live in a metropolitan area, so internet connection is spotty
    • audio quality is noticeably worse (compression)
Its not for any aesthetic reasons. If that were the sole criteria, i'd probably prefer LP --- or the 2 track master tape! (wait...you recorded it digitally, right?)

cheers!
dirck

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:17 pm

Yep, it's now 35 years since I owned a turntable.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:51 pm

That's the irony of history: when CDs sounded really bad everybody rushed to CDs and Vinyl was more or less abandoned.

Pressing plants closed down, technical equipment ended in junkyards...

These days CDs are sounding mostly good, some really good, and people are becoming nostalgic about Vinyl...

I don't look back. For me the only thing I'm missing is the haptic experience and the larger format of the artwork you could look at without a Zeiss microscope :lol:
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents
My homepage is: https://www.live-arts.de

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:19 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:51 pm
That's the irony of history: when CDs sounded really bad everybody rushed to CDs and Vinyl was more or less abandoned.

Pressing plants closed down, technical equipment ended in junkyards...

These days CDs are sounding mostly good, some really good, and people are becoming nostalgic about Vinyl...
That's spot on. I am guessing that the people on this forum are a bit of an outlier given their discerning tastes and trained ears, but many people don't realize how bad the sound is they were conditioned on from the 80's onward. Forgetting harmonic structure, just take dynamic range. I have a dial on my amp that tells me how much class A power I am using and when I leave class A. If I put most cd's on made between the first redbook in 1980 and until just recently, the dial doesn't move. It stays in low class A. The music will sound horribly cluttered and loud if I turn it up an the dial wil not move. If I put a well made cd on, good digital, or an LP, even at lower volumes the dial is all over the place. The dynamic range was just lost in 1980 and we've been paying for it ever since.

To be clear, I am 40. I have no vinyl nostalgia. Before better quality digital, I found digital very fatiguing. I like to listen for hours, and I couldn't do it. Granted, my analog systems have been pricey, but I am not one of those people that constantly cleans records and resets my VTA after weighing each and every LP. I set it and forget it. There are no hisses and pops. It's all very convenient. I've probably bought several dozen new LPs just this year.
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:31 pm

I went to B&N today for the first time in a while, and found that a whole third of the shelf space they have dedicated to music is populated with vinyl, while the remaining two thirds is populated with CDs.

Still more striking is the comparison of this scenario to what I experienced in my 30s and 40s, where at least 6-10 times the total floor-space was dedicated to CDs (no vinyl at all).

Now more shelf space is dedicated to toys for Marvel "nerds" than for music. What on earth has happened to us?

granularus

Post by granularus » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:58 pm

Frankly, while I still have a turntable and a CD player, and all Amazon/iTunes downloads on an NAS, my most likely listening experience is on my Amazon Echo - surprising quality and I can play everything in my library and everything in Amazon's. I only play obscure folk music on anything else. It's a rare day when I can't play what I want to listen to instantly. I buy CDs from individual performers to support them - most of them are still shrink wrapped. I wouldn't buy vinyl because it takes up too much space.
Masaru Matano Clase 400 (1971)
Masaru Matano Clase 500 (1976)
Ryoji Matsuoka M60 (1976)
Hirade Model 7 (1977)
Guild Classical Mark IV (1980)
Kakuo Yairi H5 (1985)
M. Horabe 35 (1990)
Yamaha GD-10 (1996)
Cordoba Flamenco 45FCE (2006)

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:59 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:25 pm
Brynmor wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:01 pm
K.J.West looks like the most likely. No, I'm guessing. I'll email him.
It was Cornflake, as was.

Return to “Public Space”