Comfortable piano benches?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
znerken

Comfortable piano benches?

Post by znerken » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:54 pm

ImageI have a basic piano bench today, and because the padding is very limited, I get some pain in my rear end, on one side. Using a pillow terminates that, so I am in the market for a more padded piano bench. What’s your experience with piano benches? Are the concert benches way better?

Michael.N.

Re: Comfortable piano benches?

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:00 pm

I have something similar to that. not a huge amount of padding although I find it good enough. I suppose you could always buy a memory foam wedge cushion and place it on top though you may have to secure it somehow.
Historicalguitars.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:24 am

I too have a similar piano bench, though with imitation leather instead of velvet, but don't have any problem with it.

Silly question: how do you sit on it? I ask because pianists only sit on the front third of the bench, or the front half at the very most. I do the same. If you sit in the centre of the bench it might be worth trying out sitting much further forward.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

Steve O

Post by Steve O » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:55 am

I bought a digital piano for my daughters and it came with a cheap $99 adjustable height piano bench. The horrid vinyl cover disintegrated within months. The wood legs and mechanical height adjustment were cheap, but sufficient.

I re-upholstered the top with some good quality foam and high quality leather and the seat is now very comfy! Cost me about $125 for the leather and $15 for the some medium density foam, $5 for upholstery tacks, and a couple of hours labour. It's more comfortable than the $1000 Steinway bench (that is built like a tank).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

es335

Post by es335 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:34 pm

I had a piano like this and always trouble with the top frame and finally bought a new one from a Stagg outlet store in the bay with a completely upholstered seat area in leather. Not quite the quality of a Steinway bench but a significant improvement over those with framed seat area. Price was below 100 € and they usually sell new between 150 and 250 €. Heavier, more robust and much more comfortable. :wink:

72711AFA-D99C-416F-8D4F-CEB50DD31892.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:14 pm

Never had a problem (I had a solid, unadjustable one that opened up and you could store music inside it).

Are you pressing on a sciatic nerve?
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:43 pm

Contact forum member Paul Janssen - he makes piano benches. :D

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Finn Wandahl

Post by Finn Wandahl » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:49 am

I got myself a second hand piano bench, and I use it every day.
Finn Wandahl - Copenhagen

znerken

Post by znerken » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:59 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:43 pm

Ramon
Is there photos or some info on them around here?

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:23 pm

You might want to consider getting a basic seat cushion for $30 on Amazon. Affordable and does wonders for my sitting position regardless of the chair or bench available at the venue.
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:24 pm

znerken wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:59 pm
Ramon Amira wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:43 pm

Ramon
Is there photos or some info on them around here?
I was just having some fun with Paul. He doesn't make piano benches. The Paul Jansen company is a famous maker of piano benches and he just happens to have the same name.

But - you might look them up. I have one of their piano benches myself that I bought with my piano.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

patsorenson

Post by patsorenson » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:29 pm

I am currently using an old windsor chair bottom that I had in my basement (the chair back spindles fell off long ago and I kept it) and believe it or not, it works well for me because the chair seat leans back a bit toward the (non-existing) seat back, but when I turn it around and sit the other way, it leans a bit forward, so I don't have to sit on the edge! I did however order a blue Z type ottoman bench from the big online store for about $60. Supposed to be very sturdy, so I will let you know how it works out.
2017 New World Player 628 spruce

Return to “Public Space”