Specific performance techniques for getting through a piece vs practice?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
CathyCate

Re: Specific performance techniques for getting through a piece vs practice?

Post by CathyCate » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:53 am

rpavich
Your mother will be thrilled by your gesture no matter the outcome. Just remember that your music is a unique present and not a performance for pay or a competition for a prize.
I have fewer problems when I can concentrate on the sharing aspect. Some of my best playing happens in nursing homes, story times for children and other situations where music is woven naturally into the fabric of the events of the day. I do not seem to feel the same pressure that I feel in more formal settings, i.e. Recitals, Open Play at Guitar Society where the chairs are set up in rows (except for the victim's, oops the performer's) and it feels like I am facing a firing squad.
I suggest doing what you can to control the setting to keep things as informal as possible with the primary focus on the guest of honor. Good Luck and May you make some happy memories together!

rpavich

Re: Specific performance techniques for getting through a piece vs practice?

Post by rpavich » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:02 am

CathyCate wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:53 am
rpavich
Your mother will be thrilled by your gesture no matter the outcome. Just remember that your music is a unique present and not a performance for pay or a competition for a prize.
I have fewer problems when I can concentrate on the sharing aspect. Some of my best playing happens in nursing homes, story times for children and other situations where music is woven naturally into the fabric of the events of the day. I do not seem to feel the same pressure that I feel in more formal settings, i.e. Recitals, Open Play at Guitar Society where the chairs are set up in rows (except for the victim's, oops the performer's) and it feels like I am facing a firing squad.
I suggest doing what you can to control the setting to keep things as informal as possible with the primary focus on the guest of honor. Good Luck and May you make some happy memories together!
Thanks CC!

I'll try to be prepared as possible and let it be what it is when the time comes.

I ran 20 easy arrangements via youtube videos by my wife and let her pick what she (as a listener) would like to hear (in addition to happy birthday) so I have 3 pieces, all easy:

1.) Greensleeves
2.) Air on a G string
3.) Happy Birthday.

I called a rental house in San Diego and will rent a guitar for the week that I'm there.

Now, all I have to do is learn the pieces and get them bulletproof as I can in performance mode.

Thanks everyone.

Return to “Public Space”