Temporary problem with embedded video links

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Temporary problem with embedded video links

Post by GeoffB » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:13 pm

Some members may have noticed that embedded YouTube videos are not currently displaying as they would normally, but merely appear as a link, which when clicked opens the video externally on YouTube, rather than playing it within the post.

This was an unexpected side effect of the move of the forum yesterday to a secure https connection. Mr. Delcamp is now researching and testing various possible solutions. Given his busy schedule, it may take a few days, but he is fairly confident that the problem will be fixed eventually.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Re: Temporary problem with embedded video links

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:55 pm

Yes I also had this message on iPhone yesterday. Maybe related?
A12B10B7-E5BE-4E87-97F3-9136C4681A30.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks for letting us know; I was already desperately trying to change my procedure thinking that I'm doing something wrong...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:34 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:55 pm
Yes I also had this message on iPhone yesterday. Maybe related
Yes, Rick, it was related. The site was switched to https, but then the video link problem was discovered, so the forum was switched back to http. However, it seems that trying to go back causes even more problems, such as the error message you saw, so in the end the forum was switched back to https again, leaving the video link problem to be sorted out later. Incidentally, despite the rather alarming error message, there was nothing sinister happening in this case, just a confused association with the security certificate of a different but perfectly harmless site also owned by Mr. Delcamp.
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:27 pm

Ah.. I wondered yesterday what that Firefox screaming about invalid security certificate was about :-)
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:09 am

Please note:

Mr. Delcamp has now installed a new "media" module in order to embed YouTube videos, and has made a global change to all existing video tags to reformat them from the broken YouTube tags to the new Media tags.

Unfortunately, these have to be activated on a post by post basis. If you see a link in your post which is a YouTube url enclosed within Media tags, all you need to do to activate it is to open the post in edit mode by clicking the Edit button (the one that looks like a diagonal pencil) and then clicking on the Submit button without making any changes.

Moderators will eventually update other posts, but of course it will take some time.

For posting new videos, you can now use the new Media button in the edit window, which looks like a picture of a monitor screen. See the illustration here. Apply that to the full url of the video up to but not including any ampersand (&) sign. Working aids will be updated in due course.

Update: There may be a shortcut to this, but tests are still in progress, so please bear with us for the moment...

Further update: No shortcut to the activation process, unfortunately, but when posting new videos from now on you no longer need to use tags at all. The url will be enough to display the video embedded within the post.
Classical Guitar Forum.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:18 pm

GeoffB wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:09 am
Please note:

Unfortunately, these have to be activated on a post by post basis. If you see a link in your post which is a YouTube url enclosed within Media tags, all you need to do to activate it is to open the post in edit mode by clicking the Edit button (the one that looks like a diagonal pencil) and then clicking on the Submit button without making any changes.

This only works for videos submitted in the past 30 days. No "edit" button appears for 15 January and back from that date.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:21 pm

Yes, activate your own where you can, but the moderators are currently going through every post, so they will all be done eventually, but with thousands to get through it may take a little while! :wink:
Classical Guitar Forum.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:29 pm

David Norton wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:18 pm
This only works for videos submitted in the past 30 days. No "edit" button appears for 15 January and back from that date.
Looks like it is perhaps 21 days. My last editable post is from Jan 27 (20 days ago), but the previous one (from Jan 24) is not editable. Just FYI for those who are looking through their posts to activate youtube links.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Return to “Public Space”