All members - Please report any broken video links

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

All members - Please report any broken video links

Post by GeoffB » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:40 pm

This is a request for help from members.

As mentioned here, a new module had to be installed recently to play embedded YouTube videos on the site, after the old one ceased working. All existing tagged links were changed on the database from the old to the new format.

But ... in order to activate them, every post containing such a link needs to be manually opened in Edit mode and then Submitted again.

Over the last few days, a small group of moderators has worked intensively through those areas of the forum where videos are a key feature and are in predictable locations, and have edited over 4000 posts to activate the embedded links within them.

Areas covered were:
All the "Our recordings" forums, looking at the first post of every topic with the "Video" tag in the title;
All posts in Online lessons for the current session (Sept. 2017 onwards);
All posts in the Musical Games subforum of Online Lessons;
All posts in My Students' Concerts;
All posts in Members' Announcements.
(Our Favourite Recordings will be done too in the next few days.)

It is not practical to go systematically through other areas, such as Public Space and Luthiers, as we would need to check every single post (over a million). Some links will have been missed in Our Recordings where the Video tag had been omitted from the title, or a video posted other than in the first post. A few may even have been just overlooked by an exhausted and sore-eyed moderator!

So if you come across any broken links to videos, which will usually look like a "youtu.be" address enclosed within "media" tags, or any other broken link for that matter, please report it so that moderators can put it right.

Reporting a post is quick and easy: just click on the report button at the top of the post (the one that looks like an exclamation mark - "!"), type "Broken link" into the text box that appears, and click on Submit. Moderators will check every report within 24 hours.

We may well get a lot of reports, so it probably won't be practical to acknowledge each one personally, but your help will be greatly appreciated and you will be doing your part to keep the forum healthy. Thank you.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Re: All members - Please report any broken video links

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:54 pm

I use the lesson archives frequently. These links are all broken. It would be nice to have JFD’s videos restored if that could be on the priority list for at least the most recent year. Thanks to all the mods for their efforts.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Rick. I will look at those (at least the most recent, as you say), when time permits.
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:06 pm

Thanks Geoff. Actually I’m on the Spanish forum now. Is that you too or should I contact a mod there to suggest this?
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:38 pm

You'll need to ask a Spanish mod there, Rick. I don't even have an account on that forum any more, having lost it through forgetting to post regularly. :oops: :wink:
Classical Guitar Forum.

Return to “Public Space”