Recuerdos de la Alhambra

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
theknowle

Recuerdos de la Alhambra

Post by theknowle » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:51 pm

I wonder what it was like in Tarrega's day?
My 'recuerdos' from a recent visit are queues, turnstiles, hoards of tourists and people selling ice-cream.
Would Tarrega have had to book a visit, I wonder, or would he have been free to wander around alone as he wished?

Guitar-ded

Re: Recuerdos de la Alhambra

Post by Guitar-ded » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:36 pm

I haven't been there since the 80's but it was bad enough then. I'm sure it's busier nowadays.
I'd bet it was much quieter in T's time and he could potter around to his heart's desire.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

woodenhand

Post by woodenhand » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:48 am

If he had been there recently, perhaps RDLA would sound more like the "Usher Waltz."

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:56 am

Is it worth going there?

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:32 am

Whiteagle wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:56 am
Is it worth going there?
Alhambra palace has an Islamic architecture and was built by Muslims. Visiting middle east would make more sense if you are interested in the architecture, plus that it's closer to Australia.
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:58 pm

Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:32 am
Whiteagle wrote:
Is it worth going there?
Alhambra palace has an Islamic architecture and was built by Muslims. Visiting middle east would make more sense if you are interested in the architecture, plus that it's closer to Australia.
I am afraid that you will not see much Islamic architecture in the Middle East. Much architecture has been bombed flat, whereas Andalusia and the Maghreb are much better preserved; possibly also in Iran (I am not recommending that you go there unless you know what you are doing).
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:10 pm

I am fairly sure Tarrega would have had the place more or less to himself. By the beginning of the nineteenth century the Alhambra had fallen into total neglect and disrepair. He might have seen some of the restoration work going on. Restoration began after the place was discovered by foreigners - mostly British and American.

Also tourism was much more limited in those days and travel was much more difficult and expensive. Until well into the twentieth century Spain was regarded as hopelessly backward and exotic. There was even a saying "Africa begins at the Pyrenees". Attitudes really only started to change with the beginning of mass tourism in the 1960s.

To answer Whiteagle's question, yes it is worth a visit but it is not as good as the cathedral in Cordoba. The Alhambra was done on the cheap and the most beautiful features are the elaborate plasterwork. The exteriors are plain and dull if somewhat imposing.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

Mike Atkinson

Post by Mike Atkinson » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:33 pm

I'll be going later this year. I'll give you all an update <wink>
2018 Cordoba Esteso Cedar

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:42 pm

Mike Atkinson wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:33 pm
I'll be going later this year. I'll give you all an update <wink>
Get there early the queues are horrendous.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

el Corcobés

Post by el Corcobés » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:21 pm

To do it full justice , i would feel one would first need to view it from an historical, cultural, artistic aspect examining Granada's growth from the time of the collapse of the Emirate of Cordoba (1031), leading to the subsequent transfer of the Moorish/Islamic powerbase to Granada. Over the span of the next c460 years and through inspired dynastic leaderships ~ Nasirids, Abencerrajes etc ~many edifices of outstanding architectural beauty were added. As in all Moorish buildings the exterior is plain, but notwithstanding that , its aspect viewed especially at sunset from the Albacin on the opposite side of the Darro River is spectacular. The sumptuous interior of the palace architecture is one of the great achievements of Moorish art, with its stalactitic and honeycombed domes, its ornate gardens and fountains. magnificent views over the vegas and patios etc
Unfortunately following the conquest in 1492 and over subsequent years these structures fell into decay, until the early 19th century when writers such as Washington Irving , Richard Ford, Merimee, Dumas etc., and composers such as Bizet,and others brought it to world attention, did the Government step in and commence a rigorous restoration programme .
Last year the palace was proposed as one of the modern wonders of the world.

Apart from the 'Tales of the Alhambra'(W.Irving), contemporary historical novellas e.g 'Guardianes de la Alhambra' (Carolina Molina) give the background to those early days before the restoration work commenced .
Each time i revisit, i hear the gentle tremolo of Tarrega's masterpiece as i follow the water acequias down from the Generalife Gardens into the main palace. Best time to visit would be off-season early Spring/ late Autumn when crowds are small.

Digory Piper

Post by Digory Piper » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:48 am

I first visited the Alhambra in the summer of 1972. I arrived in Granada by train from Madrid and stayed in the youth hostel. There were very few tourists, and it was possible in those days to wander round the Alhambra and Generalife at will (once you'd paid for entry), to linger, retrace your steps....I was in Granada for a week, and went into the Alhambra for at least part of every day. It was magical. During my stay at the youth hostel (where meals were eaten outside, under orange trees - is it still the same?), an American guy arrived in a beat-up van, and from under the piles of dirty clothes in the back produced a guitar case containing a Ramirez. We both played to the other guests - I have played "Recuerdos" in Granada, just not in the Alhambra. I watched the sunset on the Torre Bermeja.....

I returned with my wife in 1986, promising her how magical it was. It was already unspeakably ghastly, rammed with tourists. In the Generalife, marshals were blowing whistles at anyone who stepped out of line. A dreadful disappointment. I've never tried to go back. On that 1986 visit, I said to my wife, never mind, we've still got the Mezquita in Córdoba, which I'd also visited in 1972. When we got there, a large section of it was closed off for.....a philately exhibition. Postage stamps :evil: . (When I went to a conference in Sevilla, in 1989, I tried during some down time to get into the Alcázar. It was....closed, for a government meeting, lots of black limos lined up outside, men in black suits and shades.)

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:04 pm

theknowle wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:51 pm
I wonder what it was like in Tarrega's day?
My 'recuerdos' from a recent visit are queues, turnstiles, hoards of tourists and people selling ice-cream.
Would Tarrega have had to book a visit, I wonder, or would he have been free to wander around alone as he wished?
Here's a 1921 silent film about Granada, some 12 years after Tarrega's death. The Alhambra portion starts at 5:45. You will see it is not very crowded.

(click 'Youtube' to play it from youtube if it does not load embedded).
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:10 pm

Maybe it's just me, but that song has become the "Stairway to heaven" version of classical guitar songs played.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2015 Simon & Patrick Showcase CH HG

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:30 pm

Whiteagle wrote:
Is it worth going there?
Yes. Just don't go in July/August when it is crowded and hot.

nagelfar

Post by nagelfar » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:16 am

I heard this song for the first time and thought it was played by two people

Return to “Public Space”