Recuerdos de la Alhambra

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Mike Atkinson

Re: Recuerdos de la Alhambra

Post by Mike Atkinson » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:04 am

Mike Atkinson wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:33 pm
I'll be going later this year. I'll give you all an update <wink>
I leave the US tomorrow.

Madrid on Friday
Cordoba from Saturday til Tuesday night.
Granada Wendesday to Friday.
And back to Madrid.

Being later in the fall .. my hope is fewer travelers, but I also recognize the sites will not be at their peek.

We'll see.
2018 Cordoba Esteso Cedar

Richwilly

Post by Richwilly » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:20 am

I have visited in October and in April it was really crowded both times. The famous view you see in photographs on album covers is from Mirador San Nicholas. Well worth a wander up there in the evening to watch the sun go down.

Have a great trip!

Digory Piper

Post by Digory Piper » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:38 pm

I went for the first time in the summer of 1972. It was murderously hot, but there were no queues, no timed visits, few visitors, you could wander around at will, linger, backtrack. I went back day after day for a week as well as exploring the Albaicín and other parts. It was magical, everything I could have wished. The sun set on the Torre Bermeja. I stayed in the Youth Hostel, where you ate in the courtyard under orange trees, wine was virtually free. During my visit an American guy turned up in a battered old blue van and from under the piles of dirty clothes in the back produced a beautiful Ramirez guitar in a case - we swapped pieces for whoever was listening, I even played Recuerdos - not that well, possibly, but at least I've played it in Granada. I went on to Córdoba - the same.

I went back in 1986 with my wife, promising how she'd love it. It had changed utterly - queues, crowds, ghastly. Córdoba just as bad - part of the Mezquita was even closed off, for a philately exhibition, of all things. My sister and family went to Granada about 15 years ago, just managing to get tickets for the Alhambra. At least they had a better experience in Córdoba than we'd had in '86. I've been to Spain many times, but (since then) always off the beaten track.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:35 pm

thought it was played by two people
Interesting that you say that... I recently found an edition for mandolin and guitar. Basically unaltered from the original except the melody (and tremolo of course) are taken by the mandolin, and guitar accompanies in the same manner as the solo version.
The mandolin tremolo is wonderful. I played it with a mandolinist friend -- the audience loved it, and he did all the tremolo heavy-lifting, heh heh!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Mike Atkinson

Post by Mike Atkinson » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:56 am

It was a cool rainy day during our visit. Obviously, autumn is not the best time to visit gardens. There were crowds, but only one short queue. We had a very good tour guide. I was very much reminded of the Tokapi Palace in Istanbul.

The visit to San Nicolas was great. But we got better photos from the Torre de San Miguel Bajo Albayzin.

[img]
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lGVwkS ... p=drivesdk[/img
2018 Cordoba Esteso Cedar

Roberto_K

Post by Roberto_K » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:11 pm

I ve been there in March this year (it was rather cold). To avoid queues, it may be better to reserve on-line. It was more expensive, but we got a french-speaking guide.
Juan Orozco 78
Silent Yamaha
La Patrie Concert 14

Return to “Public Space”