Rodrigo: Tres Piezas Espanolas- favorite recordings?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Carey

Rodrigo: Tres Piezas Espanolas- favorite recordings?

Post by Carey » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:41 pm

I really haven't heard that many (like Tennant), but so far I like Eduardo Fernandez in the outer movements, and Bream in the Passacaglia. Bream is
magical through much of the Passacaglia, and the bass strings sound great. Interested in hearing of others' favorites.

Gary Macleod

Re: Rodrigo: Tres Piezas Espanolas- favorite recordings?

Post by Gary Macleod » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Barrueco

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:50 am

Gary Macleod wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:31 pm
Barrueco
+1 ;-)
Miodrag Zerdoner 8 string Stauffer-Legnani
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

julian94

Post by julian94 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:17 am

Yepes recording is AWESOME. The only problem of his interpretation is that the others become too shoft compared to it.

Believe me, if you can listen to it do it. It was uploaded in Youtube, but now i think they removed it. Yepes... is always another level. Especially for Rodrigo. He takes out the orchestral meaning of it with his contrapuntal ability for guitar. If you are going to listen to Rodrigo Yepes is always essential. Rodrigo himself considered Yepes "his guitarist".

Carey

Post by Carey » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:26 am

julian94 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:17 am
Yepes recording is AWESOME. The only problem of his interpretation is that the others become too shoft compared to it.

Believe me, if you can listen to it do it. It was uploaded in Youtube, but now i think they removed it. Yepes... is always another level. Especially for Rodrigo. He takes out the orchestral meaning of it with his contrapuntal ability for guitar. If you are going to listen to Rodrigo Yepes is always essential. Rodrigo himself considered Yepes "his guitarist".
I've been thinking about getting Yepes's all-Rodrigo disc for awhile, and your mention of him in the Invocation and Dance thread made me think of
it again. When I first started playing I had an LP (or maybe two?) of his called 'The World of the Spanish Guitar' I think, and enjoyed them a lot.
Must get that Rodrigo CD...

Bill

Post by Bill » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:30 am

So many great recordings...listen to them all. One of my favorites is a 1983 Barrueco recording which also has the
Invocation and Dance.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:32 am

julian94 wrote:
"too shoft"? Sorry, what does that mean?

julian94

Post by julian94 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:05 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:32 am
julian94 wrote:
"too shoft"? Sorry, what does that mean?
It means that Yepes tone is so much more consistent and powerful than the rest of guitarist due to his technique of the right hand, at least for me. The only problem of Yepes is that he puts the bar too high.

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:34 pm

julian94 wrote:

Expanded quote for any who are interested:

"What can I say about Narciso Yepes? What can I say about the guitarist to whom we owe the international success of the Concerto de Aranjuez? Yes, it was in Paris in 1947 where Ataulfo Argenta, Yepes and the Spanish National Orchestra met to illuminate my unique opus at a time when no one knew its true future. From then on, the Concierto de Aranjuez took on a new nature, and it is for this same reason that I am grateful to Narciso Yepes for the fruit of an intense collaboration that has brought us to travel our musical trajectories side-by-side. I will not say that Yepes was the best nor the worst. He has simply been my guitarist par excellence. My guitarist." (Joaquin Rodrigo in «El Mundo» May 4, 1997)

Dekselsedek

Post by Dekselsedek » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:34 pm

I like scott tennants best actually. Just my 2 cents

djajasoekarta

Post by djajasoekarta » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:32 am

+1 on Yepes
He have his own class.

For newer recordings, I really like Naxos release of Jeremy Jouve and Jerome Ducharme.
Especially Ducharme, I think he's the only one so far who handled the Zapateado with the tempo intact.
'The woolen cloth of his suit made me question the value of Chinese silks. His fountain pen made me ashamed of my writing brushes and Chinese writing paper' - Puyi

'I don't write music to be difficult, only to be more like itself' - Harrison Birtwistle

Carey

Post by Carey » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:02 pm

I ordered the Yepes all-Rodrigo CD today, and look forward to hearing his Tres Piezas and Invocation y Danza, especially.

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:28 pm

Carey wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:02 pm
I ordered the Yepes all-Rodrigo CD today, and look forward to hearing his Tres Piezas and Invocation y Danza, especially.
FYI, Yepes complete recordings under the DG label are currently available in two boxed sets, one for the concertos and one for the rest. I don't want to suggest that you spend your hard-earned money on such a collection if you have no desire to, but I waited too long to purchase the complete album recordings by Bream, and now it looks like I may never have the chance to add that goldmine set to my collection! I didn't make the same mistake vis a vis the Williams or the Yepes collections:-)

Carey

Post by Carey » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:07 pm

Altophile, thanks for mentioning the Yepes boxes.
I missed out on the Bream box too, to my regret, and I hope it shows up again.
I'm not really a completist, though, except for JB. ;)

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:42 pm

Carey wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:07 pm
Altophile, thanks for mentioning the Yepes boxes.
I missed out on the Bream box too, to my regret, and I hope it shows up again.
I'm not really a completist, though, except for JB. ;)
I'm not either, really. Of all the boxed sets, the Yepes collections are the ones I wanted most of all, and I would be kicking myself a lot harder had I procrastinated and missed those!

Return to “Public Space”