Best guitar cases?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
JohnB

Re: Best guitar cases?

Post by JohnB » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:23 pm

redmcq wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:58 pm
I do have a very high end instrument but would like to try and not spend a loads on a case as don't have lots of money to. Unless paying the extra for one of these cases is really worth it?
It sound a good idea to contact Kent Guitar Classics and talk to them.

You need to decide whether you want a hard shell or a foam (etc) case, and also what sort of hardship the case will be subjected to.

If you decide on a hard shell the Visenut is lovely - but they cost £600 whereas the Hiscox Pro-II (which seems to be the default choice of many, luthiers and players) costs £145. As far as "high end" is concerned, put it this way - Christopher Dean ships his guitars in Hiscox Pro-II cases and says he has never had a problem.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:13 pm

I think it is, but it's a personal (and financial) choice. If your guitar is worth a lot more than the price of the case (which can run $600 - $800 depending on where you buy it) it's probably worth it.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:34 pm

I have a HISCOX. I need a crush proof case due to small children - they will stand on it.

As far as carrying comfort is concerned, it doesn’t qualify. I drive to my lesson. Carrying it to the lessons would stress the hands to much and spoil my lesson.

If you don’t live with small children and plan to carry your guitar, I can not recommend a HISCOX.

I have seen pictures of HISCOX cases being destroyed by luggage handlers. I would do more research before putting a guitar in a HISCOX on a conveyor belt in an airport.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:48 pm

Check out the Visesnut video featuring men standing on the case (with a guitar in it). If grown men can, it'll surely be relatively safe from little kids. It's on the Visesnut website, I believe.
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:03 pm

JRomano wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:19 pm
I cannot recommend Hiscox more highly. I've got six of them and have never been let down by one and, here in the U.K. at least, prices are reasonable. About £130. And you can stand on the things, fly with them too. They make a stronger top of the line model for a bit more, but unless you fly lots the middle range one is fine.
The case Im using at the moment is hiscox. It's good and I will be keeping it for times I might need it. my issue is its quite heavy and doesn't have strap to carry it over my shoulder so isn't best for walking around with.

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:05 pm

JohnB wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:23 pm
redmcq wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:58 pm
I do have a very high end instrument but would like to try and not spend a loads on a case as don't have lots of money to. Unless paying the extra for one of these cases is really worth it?
It sound a good idea to contact Kent Guitar Classics and talk to them.

You need to decide whether you want a hard shell or a foam (etc) case, and also what sort of hardship the case will be subjected to.

If you decide on a hard shell the Visenut is lovely - but they cost £600 whereas the Hiscox Pro-II (which seems to be the default choice of many, luthiers and players) costs £145. As far as "high end" is concerned, put it this way - Christopher Dean ships his guitars in Hiscox Pro-II cases and says he has never had a problem.
Okay thanks, I'll give Myles a ring and ask for his advice. I am after a hard shell case, I'll look into a visenut case, just super expensive!! 😯

Yeah I have a Christopher Dean guitar and it's kept in a hiscox case. It's a good case but I need something lighter and easier to carry as the walk from my accommodation to music college 20 mins.

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:12 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:34 pm
I have a HISCOX. I need a crush proof case due to small children - they will stand on it.

As far as carrying comfort is concerned, it doesn’t qualify. I drive to my lesson. Carrying it to the lessons would stress the hands to much and spoil my lesson.

If you don’t live with small children and plan to carry your guitar, I can not recommend a HISCOX.

I have seen pictures of HISCOX cases being destroyed by luggage handlers. I would do more research before putting a guitar in a HISCOX on a conveyor belt in an airport.
Yeah my current case is hiscox and is too heavy and uncomfortable to carry. I will be taking a 20 min walk to and from my conservatoire every day so need a lighter case.

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:15 pm

Just had the thought about walking in the rain aswell. Are any of these recommended cases waterproof? If not what do you do to protect it from the rain?

Marco32

Post by Marco32 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:22 pm

The Visesnut is water proof, no issue there.

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:37 pm

If you are looking at the Visenut, BAM also make nice cases.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:29 pm

redmcq wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:05 pm
Yeah I have a Christopher Dean guitar and it's kept in a hiscox case. It's a good case but I need something lighter and easier to carry as the walk from my accommodation to music college 20 mins.
If you are thinking of a Visenut it is worth checking its weight in comparison to your Hiscox. As far as I can see the Visenut is 7lbs empty [Edit: correction], the Hiscox 10lbs.

The BAM is around 6lbs, but from reports I've read it isn't as robust as either the Hiscox or the Visesnut, but then it depends how much harsh treatment it will receive.

Best to talk to Miles.
Last edited by JohnB on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:47 pm

Visesnut is 7 pounds empty; if you add the back-pack straps and case cover it's 9 lbs. Definitely one of the lightest hard-shell cases. BAM is listed at 15lbs on Savage Classical Guitar, but at 6.8 lbs on its own website... ? It does cost less than Visesnut, also considered very good. No idea if they have their own case cover, which no doubt would add to the weight. With any case like this I think a cover is a good idea.

liked the suspension system inside the Visesnut better, which shapes it to fit virtually any guitar Also easy to carry with the backpack straps (on the case not just the cover). And it's comfortably light for me to carry on my back (as I'm 5'2" that matters). For what it's worth, the videos are at Richard Brune's website: just Google "Brune Visesnut". (Don't know if admin will allow the link).
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

simonm

Post by simonm » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:09 am

simonm wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:13 pm
... I doubt if they are very waterproof however so I would not use them in rain ...
A few minutes in a light shower is probably ok - getting from the car park to my teacher in a light shower was OK. However, in real rain especially walking some distance with little shelter I suspect some water would come through the zips if not elsewhere. It would be interesting to test one and see what happens.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:25 am

celestemcc wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:47 pm
BAM is listed at 15lbs on Savage Classical Guitar, but at 6.8 lbs on its own website... ? It does cost less than Visesnut, also considered very good. No idea if they have their own case cover, which no doubt would add to the weight. With any case like this I think a cover is a good idea.
BAM does make a "Flight Cover" which weighs an additional 9 lbs.

(Thanks for pointing out my mistake about the weight of the Visesnut.)

Visesnut, BAM and Hiscox are all good cases, probably with their own strengths and weaknesses. Most of us have limited experience of different cases and tend to stick with what we know and what works for us in our specific circumstances. However I came across this interesting video on YouTube where a guitar maker (mostly non-classical) compares Visesnut, BAM and Hiscox cases, hands on, in his workshop.

I'm not saying one should take his views as gospel - but the video is well worth viewing.

(I hope non UK members don't have too much trouble with the Geordie accent!)

wingarratta

Post by wingarratta » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:42 pm

redmcq wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:03 pm
JRomano wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:19 pm
I cannot recommend Hiscox more highly. I've got six of them and have never been let down by one and, here in the U.K. at least, prices are reasonable. About £130. And you can stand on the things, fly with them too. They make a stronger top of the line model for a bit more, but unless you fly lots the middle range one is fine.
The case Im using at the moment is hiscox. It's good and I will be keeping it for times I might need it. my issue is its quite heavy and doesn't have strap to carry it over my shoulder so isn't best for walking around with.
Visesnut also makes a somewhat more reasonably priced version which is just as strong but comes with simpler (but robust) latches and without the fancy colours. It has straps for carrying on your back. Contact Neil Muir at themusiccase. (dot org)
"When I meet people who are passionate about the guitar to the exclusion of every other kind of music, it irritates me profoundly" - J. Bream

Return to “Public Space”