Best guitar cases?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
SkinDoc

Re: Best guitar cases?

Post by SkinDoc » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:13 pm

I'll add my vote for Hiscox. Their cases are bombproof. If you have a solid top guitar that you care about, then you certainly shouldn't settle for any case that allows pressure to be applied to the top. That wood is quite thin and easily damaged, as is the underlying bracing.

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:48 pm

Hoffee is also a good choice if the money is not a subject to you... it's around $1200. Bam is comfortable to carry but still expensive. Hiscox is more economic, not as comfortable to carry as the other two but you still can but a strap (around $15) for just one shoulder unlike say Bam which could be worn like a backpack.
Becoming a great musician is about becoming a great human being.

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:33 pm

Doesn't the OP want a portable backpack style soft case, not a hardshell?

If so I would look at SKB or Bam Performance.

Cheers!
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

Dmitrypey

Post by Dmitrypey » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:38 pm

Hiscox

Marco32

Post by Marco32 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:57 pm

I’ve had Hiscox, Calton, BAM, Bogaro&Clemente, Bowoo and Visesnut. The only really protective ones, which you can also check in at airport, are Calton and Visesnut. I would not do that with Hiscox, but some trusts them more than I do. Bowoo is the lightest, but semi rigid. BAM is too flexi, B&C a bit better. Both great looking though. Since I had a Visesnut, I put for sale all the others.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:39 pm

In the video comparison that I posted earlier in the thread the luthier came to conclusions:

BAM (one of the cheaper models): looks good, but no neck/head support, no proper accessories box and too flexible. Concluded not suitable for a gigging musician.

Visesnut: well made, sturdy, good locks. Draw backs - accessories box has soft cover so not suitable for things like capos etc which might end up escaping out of the accessories box. Expensive.

Hiscox Artist (not Pro-II): sturdy, adequate locks, a good functional case. Not a flight case.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

AAA

Post by AAA » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:06 am

Just for grins, I'll mention that my Ramirez 1a is cradled in a fiberglass case made by Mark Leaf. The case probably weighs about 15-20 pounds, is probably bulletproof, and in a pinch can more than likely be used as a lifeboat...or a battering ram.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

AA

jojobean

Post by jojobean » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:24 pm

I would say the two best that I have owned are Calton and Visesnut. A lot of people like Hiscox and, while I think they offer good protection for the cost, I don't like them. I have not owned a Hoffee but they are nice from the ones I have seen. Ameritage makes a great case, but REALLY heavy. Cedar Creek's high end line is fabulous as well.

If I were going professional, I would go with Calton, Hoffee or Visesnut. I think Visesnut is the best value for the buck, but I like Caltons just a touch better. They are a bit more expensive though.

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:02 am

**NOTE: SORRY BUT THE PRICE WAS 90EUR AS I CHECKED ON MY INVOICE, S&H INCLUDED.

Hi,
Speaking of the best price/value, I got this Cibeles branded PRC ABS one back in a while from Amazon for 70EUR free shipping.
As the name suggests Amazon is really like a tropical forest and shifting rather quick, so I don't know if it is still available there or not.
And I know guitarsfromspain also carries these, but they are a little more expensive.

I have never flown with this one to date so I don't know how it would take the air luggage handling, but it feels reasonably sturdy except for some of the metal hardware, esp. the grip handle mounts that seem rather cheap and highly likely break. I would get back on Amazon for some replacement hardware before the first flight with it.

It looks good in the least to say.

ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Tonit on Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:33 pm

I guess it all depends on what your needs are. I have no desire to fly with my guitar, I'm quite content to perform locally, and I don't really enjoy exotic vacations, so I don't need an expensive flightcase. I use cases made by Alhambra, they cost about $260cdn, and are more than adequate for day to day use. I'm planning to get a case cover soon. I'm not a fan of gigbags, as I have seen too many mishaps with them that resulted in damage, that could have been prevented. Tric makes a nice light case, with a nylon cover that will protect the guitar, and you can carry it like a backpack, however, you need to make sure it will fit, as theres not a lot of room at the heel. Another drawback, the hinges are made if plastic, but are replaceable. If I was in need of a more expensive case, I would go for a Visesnut.
2018 Yamaha gc42s
72 Yamaha gc6d
76 Yamaha g220
71 Yamaha g100a
(At the moment)

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:41 am

Jason wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:33 pm
I guess it all depends on what your needs are. I have no desire to fly with my guitar, I'm quite content to perform locally, and I don't really enjoy exotic vacations, so I don't need an expensive flightcase. I use cases made by Alhambra, they cost about $260cdn, and are more than adequate for day to day use. I'm planning to get a case cover soon. I'm not a fan of gigbags, as I have seen too many mishaps with them that resulted in damage, that could have been prevented. Tric makes a nice light case, with a nylon cover that will protect the guitar, and you can carry it like a backpack, however, you need to make sure it will fit, as theres not a lot of room at the heel. Another drawback, the hinges are made if plastic, but are replaceable. If I was in need of a more expensive case, I would go for a Visesnut.
It's true, I guess... I bought the Cibeles case only because it was 70EUR on sale, compared to several hundred EUR real deal carbon cases.

When it comes to flying though, I have flown with a decent styrofoam case for a while, about 10 legs, and have had no damage whatsoever on the case or the guitar. It may be a miracle for some of my guitarist friends with some catastrophic experiences. The reason may be that I was always asked to go to so called "irregular luggage" reception to drop my guitar as I had shown concerns at the check-in. I don't know how it works, but mine has always come out intact so far. And it is very light, which is extremely advantageous on the go. All in all, my styrofoam case is my overall best performing case. The con maybe it is a little bit bulky.

I don't mind gigbag soft cases neither for the guitars currently I have with me (which are rather inexpensive, max 2kUSD). In fact my daily case has been a lightly padded gigbag to get around the cafes and restaurants I play at. I have gone to and from them located 2-3 blocks away from my house literally everyday (7 days a week) for about 2 years, except for about 5-10 sick/flying days a year or so, and have had no damage. Gigbags make guitar playing all the more casual, and nice to have one if affordable, in order to fully appreciate the great mobile nature of the instrument, whether to a park or to a river bank to crack some chords for a couple of hours to draw on different kinds of inspiration they have to offer. There is yet one more advantage: You can do grocery shopping and your shopping can fit in the gigbag pocket. This I always appreciate.

But I might not take the gigbag on any public transport, so that the gigbag is fun and convenient ONLY for a walking distance I'd say.
Last edited by Tonit on Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

montana

Post by montana » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:33 am

Anyone seen a Cibeles case for sale in North America ? Can't find it on Anazon

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi montana,
montana wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:33 am
I bought it on Amazon . de (a German counterpart).
But I recall there was even a better (as I look on the web) one from a different maker that I cannot recall, and that I wanted to buy on US Amazon . It was like a 110 bucks, and with more sleek design that leaves less parts on surface that might be damaged through the air luggage handling or otherwise. I could not buy as the S&H throw it out of my budget for an extra case that I really don't need. (I mean I am totally happy with the styrofoam case except for how it looks).

If you want to try, I see www.guitarfromspain.com have them with more variants lined up. But again I don't know about the S&H to the US.
In my case, there is a shopping browser extension installed, and it suggested better prices elsewhere so I bought it on Amazon.

I hope this helps you.

dmcmurray

Post by dmcmurray » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:08 pm

Others may have already mentioned it but the older Eastman guitar cases are great. Not as protective as some but on the go they are the best. Mine has backpack straps and weights very little. However one of my big perks is how well it regulates humidity. I have a hydrometer in the case and it holds a reading in the summer and winter really well if you keep the case closed. My humidifiers last much longer in this case verse other cases of mine.
2013 Connor Spruce/Brazilian
1979 Ramirez 1a Cedar/IR
1996 Carpio Spruce/IR
1998 Joiner Cedar/Maple

montana

Post by montana » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:09 am

Tonit wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:16 pm
Hi montana,
montana wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:33 am
I bought it on Amazon . de (a German counterpart).
But I recall there was even a better (as I look on the web) one from a different maker that I cannot recall, and that I wanted to buy on US Amazon . It was like a 110 bucks, and with more sleek design that leaves less parts on surface that might be damaged through the air luggage handling or otherwise. I could not buy as the S&H throw it out of my budget for an extra case that I really don't need. (I mean I am totally happy with the styrofoam case except for how it looks).

If you want to try, I see www.guitarfromspain.com have them with more variants lined up. But again I don't know about the S&H to the US.
In my case, there is a shopping browser extension installed, and it suggested better prices elsewhere so I bought it on Amazon.

I hope this helps you.
Than you I will check it out....paul

Return to “Public Space”