Mildew from humidifier?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Atocha5

Mildew from humidifier?

Post by Atocha5 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:54 am

Hi, I started using a D’Addario humidifier a while ago and recently noticed what appeared to be mildew on my guitar. Really? Is that possible? I wasn’t able to play it for about two weeks so it sat in the case all that time. I have never seen anything like it, but I also have never ignored my guitar for that long. I’ve stopped using the humidifier until I can figure out what’s going on. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

JohnB

Re: Mildew from humidifier?

Post by JohnB » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:34 am

Sorry to state the obvious but - the first thing to do is buy a decent hygrometer so that you know what the relative humidity levels are. The Caliber IV is reasonably priced and more accurate than most. It was designed for cigar enthusiasts.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

Atocha5

Post by Atocha5 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:05 am

Thanks for “stating the obvious” which was not obvious to me! But since it is, now, I will buy the hygrometer...(and maybe take up cigars, too).

AAA

Post by AAA » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:50 am

I always aim for a 40% to 60% humidity for my instruments. Too little can bring on cracks, too much invites nasties to start growing.

Cooped up in a case with high humidity, the instrument is dark and probably warm: a perfect environment for mold and its relatives. Over the years, I've found it best to humidify the entire room/house to the above level range. Less of a shock for the instrument when it comes out of its case, and better for you, too.

AA

CarbonElitist

Post by CarbonElitist » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:48 pm

Sounds like it's time to spray Clorox all over your guitar.

(I'm kidding. Do Not Do That.)

To add onto what everybody else already said, it wouldn't hurt to open the case every now and then and go over the fabric with a hair dryer if it gets too humid. Sometimes moisture can get trapped in the padding.
"If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving."
"When I want expert advice, I look at the comment sections on DIY videos."

Atocha5

Post by Atocha5 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:58 am

Thanks very much for your advice. I didn’t need to get out the Clorox bottle because I was able to figure out the problem. I’m sure it won’t happen again now that I have a handle on the relative humidity. Onward and upward!

Return to “Public Space”