Which guitarist composers should i check ?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
man-argentina

Which guitarist composers should i check ?

Post by man-argentina » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:18 pm

Guitarist composers who made music for guitar, original piece, not arrangments. Or maybe, if its worth to listen, composers who made some pieces for guitar too.

Im just not a fain of baroque or romantic style.

I preffer more modern pieces, but with the quality of academic studies.

Im really trying to find some long pieces, not just short pieces.

With only guitar or with more instruments too.

Thanks.

DerekB

Re: Which guitarist composers should i check ?

Post by DerekB » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:38 am

Most music for the classical guitar was written by guitarist composers - because of the technical difficulty of writing well for the instrument. Are you familiar with the music of Maximo Diego Pujol, an Argentinian guitarist composer? Try his Color Sepia and Preludio triston and much more. The music of Astor Piazzolla has been arranged for the guitar. Gary Ryan's Play Piazzolla is a good place to start. There are lots of other South Amercan composers for the guitar. Villa Lobos is the best-known but there are Dilermando Reis, Isaias Savio etc.,etc. That is just a small sample of the wealth of modern guitar music I will leave the rest to others.

Don't forget to give us some feedback so we know if our recommendations have been worthwhile.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:12 am

Probably a long list is possible but Leo Brouwer and Roland Dyens could be the next additions to your list.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:22 pm

Two Argentinian guitarists spring to mind; Eduardo Falú and Enrique Coria.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Carlo Domeniconi!
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Buster

Post by Buster » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Barrios, the chopin of guitar

man-argentina

Post by man-argentina » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi thanks for the answers. Going to check the names you mentioned.

Some mentioned latin american musicians, im trying to go more for non latin american musicians, at least who dont approach music with a latin american sound.

Could be "gold name" composers (old and well world known names) or less known names, maybe someone that you just know cause you went to a small concert somewhere and you think you listened someone very goood.

And im trying to find someone more modern, lets say, from the 70s to now.

im looking for long pieces and not just unconnected short pieces, more like a long composition.

I like the idea to find someone who make contemporary music on guitar, but i dont like when contemporary is just "strange noise".

erichert

Post by erichert » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:37 pm

Antonio Lauro
John Duarte

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:42 pm

Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

2lost2find

Post by 2lost2find » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:47 pm

See, this is all so very subjective. I find the Latinness of most of the above suggestions to be annoying and unwanted, right along with the gooey over-sentimental Spanishness that characterizes most of the stuff from around the turn of the 20th century. I like white bread central European classicism. Unfortunately damn little contemporary composition falls into that category.

If you're looking for an older composer who is very much undervalued, try Coste.

beanctr

Post by beanctr » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Alfonso Montes has some nice pieces like Preludio de adios, R
"Guitar Hobbyist"

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:41 pm

2lost2find wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:47 pm
See, this is all so very subjective. I find the Latinness of most of the above suggestions to be annoying and unwanted, right along with the gooey over-sentimental Spanishness that characterizes most of the stuff from around the turn of the 20th century. I like white bread central European classicism. Unfortunately damn little contemporary composition falls into that category.

If you're looking for an older composer who is very much undervalued, try Coste.
Unwanted by whom?
Damn little falls into that category because 'white bread' central European music isn't as strong as you wish for :lol: :lol:
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

bergmann

Post by bergmann » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:51 pm

I have published a lot of compositions over the last couple of years that might fall into your taste. Search for "contemporary bergmann edition".

2lost2find

Post by 2lost2find » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:06 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:41 pm
2lost2find wrote:

Unwanted by whom?
Damn little falls into that category because 'white bread' central European music isn't as strong as you wish for :lol: :lol:
Unwanted by me. As I said, it's subjective. For me personally, keep the "world music" out of it, thank you very much. Your mileage may vary.

As for your second sentence, I remind you that Haydn and Mozart fall into that category.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:51 pm

2lost2find wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:06 pm
rojarosguitar wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:41 pm
2lost2find wrote:
I like white bread central European classicism. Unfortunately damn little contemporary composition falls into that category.
... I remind you that Haydn and Mozart fall into that category.
Hmm, I was not aware that Haydn and Mozart were guitarists. Or did you just change the scope of the 'guitarist composers' discussion arbitrarily?
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Return to “Public Space”