Which guitarist composers should i check ?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
eno

Re: Which guitarist composers should i check ?

Post by eno » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:37 pm

Leo Brouwer, Leo Brouwer, Leo Brouwer, Leo Brouwer, and again Leo Brouwer
If his famous Decameron Negro is not long enough for you can play any (or all) of his 11 guitar concertos :D

Also, check out Takashi Yoshimatsu.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Takamine C136S 1976
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967

John Oster

Post by John Oster » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:07 pm

Nikita Koshkin has written numerous fine pieces. Two non-guitarist composers you might look into are Magnus Lindberg (“Mano a mano”) and Nicholas Maw (“Music of Memory”). Those two pieces will keep most players busy for a lifetime!
Kolya Panhuyzen 2012 cedar/Br

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:24 pm

Adam Levin has recorded some albums of "21st Century Spanish Guitar Music" by various composers which you may like. It does not sound at all like the "stereotypical" Spanish guitar music of a century earlier, rather, it is modern-sounding, as well as beautiful and interesting. There are numerous longer pieces, as well. The first volume is my favourite.

Also, John Williams has an album called "Stepping Stones", which is a very nice collection of modern pieces by various composers, nothing too radical, and certainly very listenable (it has more short pieces, though).

Sergio Assad is a guitarist composer that I like very much, too, and you may like some of his work.

Oh, just to be clear, are you looking for music to "listen to", or music to play on your own guitar (or both)?

man-argentina

Post by man-argentina » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:28 am

Thanks for the new replies, all is appreciated (even if i dont like the music i really appreaciate the time to reply).

Leo Brower was one of the composers i didnt like, and Andew York either, less.

I did like some of the things of Nikita Koshkin, just finishing to listen Nikita Koshkin - Guitar Quintet no.1 - I, II, III by Stringendo Ensemble, really made me think some things for guitar + quartet.
Lovemyguitar wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:24 pm
Adam Levin has recorded some albums of "21st Century Spanish Guitar Music" by various composers which you may like. It does not sound at all like the "stereotypical" Spanish guitar music of a century earlier, rather, it is modern-sounding, as well as beautiful and interesting. There are numerous longer pieces, as well. The first volume is my favourite.

Also, John Williams has an album called "Stepping Stones", which is a very nice collection of modern pieces by various composers, nothing too radical, and certainly very listenable (it has more short pieces, though).

Sergio Assad is a guitarist composer that I like very much, too, and you may like some of his work.

Oh, just to be clear, are you looking for music to "listen to", or music to play on your own guitar (or both)?
Mostly to listen, and maybe play something if really likes me or think i can make something different with it. Thanks, going to check all what you mentioned.

Evan

Post by Evan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:28 am

John Williams last two solo albums (On the Wing, and From a Bird) are largely made up of his own compositions, which is pretty fascinating as he has recorded very few of his own compositions in the first 50 years of his career. That said, if you are one of those strange people who don't like JW, then him playing his own compositions probably won't change your mind.
Also worth checking out is Brazilian guitarist Chrystian Dozza.

Mickmac

Post by Mickmac » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:44 am

Pernambuco, Maria Lindemann, Per-Olov Kindgren

All very playable stuff. Check YouTube for the latter 2.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:07 pm

2lost2find wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:47 pm
I like white bread central European classicism. Unfortunately damn little contemporary composition falls into that category.
If you want classicism go to classic era composers. Diabelli is as central European as you'll get :)
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

John Oster

Post by John Oster » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:10 pm

man-argentina wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:28 am
Thanks for the new replies, all is appreciated (even if i dont like the music i really appreaciate the time to reply).

Leo Brower was one of the composers i didnt like, and Andew York either, less.

I did like some of the things of Nikita Koshkin, just finishing to listen Nikita Koshkin - Guitar Quintet no.1 - I, II, III by Stringendo Ensemble, really made me think some things for guitar + quartet.
Try his two Sonatas, particularly the first one--very powerful. Elena Papandreou has a wonderful recording of it, along with sever other pieces by him.
Kolya Panhuyzen 2012 cedar/Br

Trev

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:47 pm

Francis Kleynjans. I have his book, Mes derniers feuillets containing 33 beautiful pieces. He began his classical guitar studies at the age of 14 and worked with Alexandre Lagoya and Alirio Diaz.
Jose Antonio Lagunar 2017
Alvarez Yairi 1981
Takamine Hirade H20

man-argentina

Post by man-argentina » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:39 am

Made a list of all the composers named on this topic.

Leo Brouwer
Roland Dyens
Carlo Domeniconi
Antonio Lauro
John Duarte
Stepan Rak
Napoléon Coste
Alfonso Montes
Frank Wallace.
Nick Fletcher,
Gary Ryan
Daniele Lazzari
Per-Olof Kindgren
Reginald Smith Brindle
Dušan Bogdanović
Andrew York
Gilbert Biberian
Peter Stewart
Leo Brouwer
Takashi Yoshimatsu
Nikita Koshkin
Adam Levin
John Williams
Sergio Assad
Chrystian Dozza
Pernambuco
Maria Lindemann
Diabelli
Francis Kleynjans

NoLikeThisAndres

Post by NoLikeThisAndres » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:03 pm

Buster wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:56 pm
Barrios, the chopin of guitar
+1 Barrios

Adrienus

Post by Adrienus » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:11 pm

Antonio Jose
Joaquin Rodrigo has a wonderful pieces for solo guitar

Tom Phillips

Post by Tom Phillips » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:13 am

Robert Beaser fits your description perfectly. However, most of his pieces are extremely challenging because he wrote a lot for Eliot Fisk, a man whose hands are practically the size of dinner plates.

George Rochberg is another name that comes to mind. I don't like listening to most of his pieces because they are rather dissonant, but I enjoy a few of the movements from his composition "American Bouquet," namely Liza and Notre Dame Blues.

Tom Phillips

Post by Tom Phillips » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:39 am

man-argentina wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:09 am
One note, i dont like much when the piece intends to slap the guitar or use tremolo. Im hoping to find some piece with rich harmonic content, rich notes, and passages, mostly that, passages,go trhough different moods, get lost in the composition.
On the topic of Robert Beaser, I strongly recommend that you listen to his recomposition of Shenandoah. Although there is a short tremolo section (maybe 30 seconds out of the whole ten minute piece) and exactly one moment where the guitar is slapped, the harmonic content, passages and moods are otherworldly. As testaments to his genius, Beaser is one of the few classical guitar composers who has mastered the ability to write three simultaneous voices for the instrument, and upon reading the sheet music for his works, one is seldom able to identify a single chord that is used or voiced in a traditional way (and unlike many other modern composers, Beaser's complexity doesn't sound like a dissonant mess).

Although the piece was written for Eliot Fisk, Mesut Ozgen is my favorite interpreter for it.

Let me know what you think!

man-argentina

Post by man-argentina » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:22 am

Tom Phillips wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:39 am
man-argentina wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:09 am
One note, i dont like much when the piece intends to slap the guitar or use tremolo. Im hoping to find some piece with rich harmonic content, rich notes, and passages, mostly that, passages,go trhough different moods, get lost in the composition.
On the topic of Robert Beaser, I strongly recommend that you listen to his recomposition of Shenandoah. Although there is a short tremolo section (maybe 30 seconds out of the whole ten minute piece) and exactly one moment where the guitar is slapped, the harmonic content, passages and moods are otherworldly. As testaments to his genius, Beaser is one of the few classical guitar composers who has mastered the ability to write three simultaneous voices for the instrument, and upon reading the sheet music for his works, one is seldom able to identify a single chord that is used or voiced in a traditional way (and unlike many other modern composers, Beaser's complexity doesn't sound like a dissonant mess).

Although the piece was written for Eliot Fisk, Mesut Ozgen is my favorite interpreter for it.

Let me know what you think!
Hi, thanks for reply.

First, just going to get out few things from my chest (or ears). Hate so much when i see players "hitting" their guitars to make noise, i just can think they picked up the wrong instrument and should start thinking in get a drum set, just dont get it, its like be a drummer and mixed with some a cappela lyrics and think "oh, he is changing the way of how we play the drums".

Just finished to listen Shenandoah, the composotion its not really of my taste, but going to search more from the composer and players you name, thanks.

Return to “Public Space”