Which guitarist composers should i check ?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
robert e

Re: Which guitarist composers should i check ?

Post by robert e » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:53 am

Though he was a miniaturist, I can certainly get lost in Federico Mompou's harmonies. Influenced by Satie and Faure. Wrote a few pieces for guitar. I suppose his Suite Compostelana, as a whole, is longish.

VIlla Lobos was Brazilian, but to me his guitar music does not sound Latin, nor romantic, though not modern, either. Post-romantic maybe? Harmonically rich. Even the pieces inspired by Brazilian folk music seem to avoid the usual tropes, or turn them sideways.

Edzard

Post by Edzard » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:38 pm

The publisher Les Productions d'OZ has a lot of good composers (in my opinion ofcourse). You should check them out.

Simone Iannarelli, Yves Carling, Thierry Tisserand, Mark Houghton, Miroslav Loncar to name a few.

If you can't make up your mind: they have a serie called "The many faces of the guitar", ranging from easy (1) to intermediate (nr 6).
Each score book has an overview of a lot of (contemporary) composers.

Best regards,

Edzard

man-argentina

Post by man-argentina » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:47 pm

Edzard wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:38 pm
The publisher Les Productions d'OZ has a lot of good composers (in my opinion ofcourse). You should check them out.

Simone Iannarelli, Yves Carling, Thierry Tisserand, Mark Houghton, Miroslav Loncar to name a few.

If you can't make up your mind: they have a serie called "The many faces of the guitar", ranging from easy (1) to intermediate (nr 6).
Each score book has an overview of a lot of (contemporary) composers.

Best regards,

Edzard
Thanks for the info, going to check it all. Thanks again.

Tom Phillips

Post by Tom Phillips » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:13 am

man-argentina wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:22 am
Hi, thanks for reply.

First, just going to get out few things from my chest (or ears). Hate so much when i see players "hitting" their guitars to make noise, i just can think they picked up the wrong instrument and should start thinking in get a drum set, just dont get it, its like be a drummer and mixed with some a cappela lyrics and think "oh, he is changing the way of how we play the drums".

Just finished to listen Shenandoah, the composotion its not really of my taste, but going to search more from the composer and players you name, thanks.
That's cool. I enjoy some movements from "Mountain Songs" as well.

Ausangate

Post by Ausangate » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:21 am

Manuel Ponce
Heitor Villalobos

Return to “Public Space”