Explorations in French Tuning

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
RobMacKillop

Re: Explorations in French Tuning

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:57 pm

Yes, C3.

As I said, the Dm tuning was only one of over 30 experimental tunings, and not even the most common one at first. I think they just had a different mindset for each tuning.

2lost2find

Post by 2lost2find » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:26 am

There isn't much to report right now... just plugging away at the same stuff I was talking about the other day. My time with it is limited at the moment as I am doing some rock gigs and also in the final prep stages to play some pretty demanding CG material on a standard six string for a benefit in a few weeks. After the benefit I can immerse myself in it, but right now it's less than half my practice time. Nevertheless I have the arrangement of Sor 35/17 probably around 60% there. I learned a lot about the tuning learning to play a fairly simple and familiar piece in it, and the fingering/string choices of my final version are pretty far removed from what I started with! I have a number of other pieces lined up, each in a different key so I can really analyze where the tuning thrives and where it chokes.

I've also spent some more time with chords and scales. The short version: chords are quite a bit easier than in standard guitar tuning (so long as you're not hung up on cowboy chords), scales somewhat harder. More on that another day.

My daughter is having some fun with my dorky little 8 bar etude, and I need to make the time this weekend to write another. My tentative plan is that the melody this time will lie entirely on the 2nd string, with accompaniment on the open 4th and 3rd strings only. This time 8th notes will be permitted. The idea is to continue the process of learning fretted notes one string at a time, but to make the thumb move between strings this time instead of playing a single note drone bass. Also rhythm will be slightly more complicated.

I decided to go with building a lute as a winter project. I might buy one as well, but taking a stab at luthiery appeals to me. My daughter wants to participate in the project. I ordered Dave Edwards course on making baroque lutes. He says a person with minimal carpentry skills can do it in a year on three hours of work a week; my carpentry skills (while less than stellar) are well above minimal, and I will almost certainly be working on it more than three hours a week. It might turn out disastrous, but it'll be fun to try.

2lost2find

Post by 2lost2find » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:40 pm

I still haven't gotten around to writing that next etude, and my daughter is getting a bit annoyed with me over it. My life is being eaten right now by gigs and some last-minute household renovation work that need to be finished before my kids have friends over for a Halloween party this weekend. I'm trying to remember why I agreed to let that happen. I'll report back when I have something to report...

Return to “Public Space”