Bach & Decacorde Tuning

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
2lost2find

Re: Bach & Decacorde Tuning

Post by 2lost2find » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:39 pm

soltirefa wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:26 pm
Don't try to force things to fit that already work perfectly the way they're intended.
But they don't always. Off the top of my head I can think of several Aguado and Villa Lobos pieces in which a smaller interval between the 5th and 6th strings would DEFINITELY solve some technical problems, and that's without even having to try them out. Particularly the Aguado; some of those stretches in the bass are just silly and would be completely solved with an extra string or two. It may not work at all for some things, but it might make some other things much easier.

Conall wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:24 pm

Yes, it's logical that trying even to finger traditional chord shapes isn't going to work: the top 5 strings are ok but 6 string chords like G or E are going to have to be broken awkwardly presumably?
For playing classical music I have to say I'm not too concerned about whether cowboy chords are still gonna work or not...

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:42 pm

But they don't always. Off the top of my head I can think of several Aguado and Villa Lobos pieces in which a smaller interval between the 5th and 6th strings would DEFINITELY solve some technical problems, and that's without even having to try them out. Particularly the Aguado; some of those stretches in the bass are just silly and would be completely solved with an extra string or two. It may not work at all for some things, but it might make some other things much easier.
Well in that case I guess you found a better tool for the job, so go for it. That's actually kind of exciting to find solutions to difficult parts in pieces.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:41 pm

Today I saw a piece that I wanted to test with the Decacorde tuning. I was using the Yepes tuning and realized that, except for the 8=A#, I could use the same strings I have on and just move them. I only needed to get out a new string for a low D.

The F# moved from 10 to 7
The G# moved from 9 to 6
The E moved from 6 to 8
The C moved from 7 to 10

It is advisable not to cut off the extra string so that they remain long and can be moved from a short length to a long (eg 10 to 7)

Return to “Public Space”