Douglas Back and American Guitar Composers

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
razz

Douglas Back and American Guitar Composers

Post by razz » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:20 pm

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... tion=click

A friend suggested this video which features Douglas Back. He plays pieces by 19th Century American guitar performers and composers.

He names composers that I am not familiar with. I can only spell their names phonetically.

John Cupa
Charles Dejanan
Delores Degoni (Mrs. Nupe)
Alfred Way

If you are familiar with any of these composers, please correct my spelling. If you know where I might find copies of the scores of their compositions, please let me know. I would like to look them over.

As always, many thanks

sxedio

Re: Douglas Back and American Guitar Composers

Post by sxedio » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:28 pm

Cool, thanks for sharing, and sorry, they are new names to me other than Douglas Back!
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:24 pm

razz wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:20 pm

A friend suggested this video which features Douglas Back. He plays pieces by 19th Century American guitar performers and composers.

He names composers that I am not familiar with. I can only spell their names phonetically.

John Cupa
Charles Dejanan
Delores Degoni (Mrs. Nupe)
Alfred Way

If you are familiar with any of these composers, please correct my spelling. If you know where I might find copies of the scores of their compositions, please let me know. I would like to look them over.

As always, many thanks
A member of this forum, Donald Sauter, has a web site that (among many other subjects) discusses accessing the music collection of the Library of Congress. He has done extensive work copying American guitar music from the 19th century. Here is the web address which lists the titles he's copied. I could only find the name 'Coupa'. Not sure how you would go about seeing the score. He gives an email address for questions.

http://donaldsauter.com/lcgtr.htm

Have you tried contacting Mr. Back?

razz

Post by razz » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:23 pm

Marshall Dixon wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:24 pm

A member of this forum, Donald Sauter, has a web site that (among many other subjects) discusses accessing the music collection of the Library of Congress. He has done extensive work copying American guitar music from the 19th century. Here is the web address which lists the titles he's copied. I could only find the name 'Coupa'. Not sure how you would go about seeing the score. He gives an email address for questions.

http://donaldsauter.com/lcgtr.htm

Have you tried contacting Mr. Back?
Thanks, I will check out the website. I found some contact information for Mr. Back and sent him a message.

I was hoping some other people knew of these composers and played some of their pieces.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:10 am

Google up "John B Coupa" and his Theme & Variations is available online.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:41 pm

David Norton wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:10 am
I did that and found a version by Steve Waechter, who seems to play it flawlesly. I had never heard of this composer; my first thought was "yup, this is classical." It sounded strangely familiar in a pedagogic way.

A brief search turned up a little information about the composer. He as born in Spain. Some reference had him living in Boston, and perhap he did at one time. But here is a interesting bit of history that I found at 12fret.com where there is a picture of a Martin/Coupa guitar ca 1840 in pristine condition.

'...John Coupa is mentioned many times in the 1830’s sales books. He was a guitar teacher who had guitars made with Martin & Coupa on the label at least through 1851. During this period, Martin’s “showroom” at 385 Broadway was actually Coupa’s teaching studio. As late as 1881, Coupa’s name appeared in Martin advertisements as one of the “best solo players ever known” who preferred to use Martins...'

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:24 am

Marshall Dixon wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:41 pm
David Norton wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:10 am
I did that and found a version by Steve Waechter, who seems to play it flawlesly. ...
Hey, Steve Waechter was one of my teachers way back when! I didnt realize he had anything on youtube; he's kind of a "low profile" guy.

His recording of Arndt's "Nola" arr by William Foden is worth a listen, too:

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:02 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:24 am
Hey, Steve Waechter was one of my teachers way back when! I didnt realize he had anything on youtube; he's kind of a "low profile" guy.

His recording of Arndt's "Nola" arr by William Foden is worth a listen, too:

Very cool and definitely on the ragtime side of things!
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Return to “Public Space”