Nail Break in Concert!

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Nail Break in Concert!

Post by Matthew McAllister » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:40 pm

Last note of the very first piece in our second concert of a tour in China!

A hasty gluing process in the green room whilst Aisling played a solo and then we continued with the programme.

A full on schedule of touring, recording and the added volume required for chamber music left me with one real nail by the end of the tour!

M :shock:

Tony Hyman

Re: Nail Break in Concert!

Post by Tony Hyman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:08 pm

Its great that you kept on going, Alister. On the lighter side though, maybe this opens up a trend where Solo Guitar Concert performers don't only have "roadies" but "nailers" as well.

Kent

Post by Kent » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:30 pm

Nice touch with the slow mo repeat. Concrete proof!

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:26 pm

We made it to the end of the concert!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:32 pm

Well done, Matt. If it's any consolation, I once saw Yepes play the Aranjuez concerto to a packed Usher Hall in Edinburgh, and being recorded for the BBC as part of their Festival coverage. I saw his thumb nail (probably a false one) come flying off during the introductory strummed chords! But he kept going, and gave a faultless performance.

Of course, some of us don't have that problem :wink:

CarbonElitist

Post by CarbonElitist » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:29 pm

Is it bad if I burst out laughing as I watched this? That was quite the finish. I feel your pain though.My hand was feeling kind of cold one day so I started shaking some blood into it, hit the edge of my desk, and send my ring fingernail flying across the room. I'm glad it didn't happen in a public performance though. Btw, I agree with Kent, the slow-mo really shows that you nailed that piece.
"If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving."
"When I want expert advice, I look at the comment sections on DIY videos."

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:30 pm

Tony Hyman wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:08 pm
Its great that you kept on going, Alister. On the lighter side though, maybe this opens up a trend where Solo Guitar Concert performers don't only have "roadies" but "nailers" as well.
I wish I had a roadie!

Best,

Matthew

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:32 pm

Kent wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:30 pm
Nice touch with the slow mo repeat. Concrete proof!
Extra points should have been awarded by the referee after seeing the evidence in the slow motion action replay, we need these at all guitar gigs from now on I think!

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:34 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:32 pm
Well done, Matt. If it's any consolation, I once saw Yepes play the Aranjuez concerto to a packed Usher Hall in Edinburgh, and being recorded for the BBC as part of their Festival coverage. I saw his thumb nail (probably a false one) come flying off during the introductory strummed chords! But he kept going, and gave a faultless performance.

Of course, some of us don't have that problem :wink:
He always displayed good composure but that must have been terrifying!

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:36 pm

CarbonElitist wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:29 pm
Is it bad if I burst out laughing as I watched this? That was quite the finish. I feel your pain though.My hand was feeling kind of cold one day so I started shaking some blood into it, hit the edge of my desk, and send my ring fingernail flying across the room. I'm glad it didn't happen in a public performance though. Btw, I agree with Kent, the slow-mo really shows that you nailed that piece.
:lol: I laughed on stage, luckily Aisling has plenty solos up her sleeve whilst I headed to the green room for emergency surgery! In the piece after this one, which was a Mozart fantasy I did have the constant worry that the glue had not quite dried and it would come off again, luckily it held!

CarbonElitist

Post by CarbonElitist » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:08 pm

Matthew McAllister wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:36 pm
CarbonElitist wrote:
:lol: I laughed on stage, luckily Aisling has plenty solos up her sleeve whilst I headed to the green room for emergency surgery! In the piece after this one, which was a Mozart fantasy I did have the constant worry that the glue had not quite dried and it would come off again, luckily it held!
Have you considered keeping a few finger picks? When my fingernail broke off in the aforementioned desk incident, I purchased a set of these: (link removed because the page sold the product. Google Fred Kelly freedom picks.)

I'm OCD when it comes to having anything on my fingers, but these did the trick, since they can be heat-shaped to fit your finger(s). (Granted, I still took mine to a bench grinder and ground down the sides until I was satisfied it would stop pushing my fingers apart.) There's no replacement for fingernails, but these make a great backup set while your real nail grows back.
Last edited by CarbonElitist on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:14 pm

CarbonElitist wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:08 pm
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:36 pm
CarbonElitist wrote:
Have you considered keeping a few finger picks? When my fingernail broke off in the aforementioned desk incident, I purchased a set of these. http://fredkellypicks.com/product/poly- ... nger-pick/

I'm OCD when it comes to having anything on my fingers, but these did the trick, since they can be heat-shaped to fit your finger(s). (Granted, I still took mine to a bench grinder and ground down the sides until I was satisfied it would stop pushing my fingers apart.) There's no replacement for fingernails, but these make a great backup set while your real nail grows back.
How do they sound?

CarbonElitist

Post by CarbonElitist » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:47 pm

Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:14 pm
How do they sound?
I wish I had recorded myself while I was using them. (Who knows, maybe I'll break another nail soon...) But because the pick wraps around the finger and (somewhat) follows the finger's contour, you can get a pretty big sound without any of the sharp "tinniness" associated with most fingerpicks (or picks in general). Plus the edges of the pick are beveled so the string can "ramp" off instead of "snap". The result is pretty close to the natural fingernail sound. You have a little bit less tone control, but since they are designed to be heated and bent to shape, that can be improved to some extent. I actually accidentally ordered mine a size too large, but I was able to hold mine over a range with a pair of pliars, and bend it into shape. Then I took it to a bench grinder and did what I could with it until I was satisfied it was custom fit to hug my ring finger.

(I'm not sure how well I'm selling these by saying you'll be good to go with a bench grinder to get them into shape. :lol: )

(Pics included)

EDIT: Geez, I didn't know those pictures would be so big.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:15 am

Interesting, thanks very much for the info and pics. Did you go for large or medium? I reckon we have probably roughly the same size of hands.

CarbonElitist

Post by CarbonElitist » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:38 am

I went for the large because I wanted to play it safe. I probably would have gotten better results with medium. Just make sure you don't get the clear ones. :lol: I thought they would look better on my hands but they are so easy to lose.

Return to “Public Space”