Guitars sound better in guitar shops

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Arash Ahmadi

Re: Guitars sound better in guitar shops

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:23 pm

Guero wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:04 pm

So I wondered if these guitars would still sound as good at home as they did in the shop.

(But the Höfner Hgl.. Why not??)

Greetings, Güero
Hi Guero, that is probably true! Here are some ideas for you:

1- compare the guitars, that should give you a very good insight.
2- record them - then listen to them at the comfort of your home. You'll be surprised how much more you can find out about them.
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

Sierra

Post by Sierra » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:33 pm

Generally, homes are full of things, including stuff on the walls and carpeting. All this stuff does absorb sound. Maybe that's the reason it sounds better in the shop??

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:22 pm

:reflechir:
Perhaps we should all consider paneling our practice rooms with unpainted cedar planks and pine floors ! Then, if we have several guitars, hang them on hooks around the room and hang those miniature halogen lights all around.. For a final aesthetic hang price tags on all the guitars, with the plastic ties fouling the first frets. Then put a neon sign out front, "Guitar Central", and allow complete strangers to come in and walk around while we're practicing ! I believe this could be the answer to that particular 'sound' we've been searching for....

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:39 pm

It is quite shocking how room acoustics influence how we perceive the sound of a guitar. This is why it is critical that you take your familiar personal guitar with you whenever you go to a shop/dealer to test out guitars. I always play my personal guitar first before moving on to the next guitar, because that gives me a reliable reference point on which to assess the sound of the next guitar. Some dealers have you test a guitar in a highly reflective room, giving the perception that the guitar you are testing is very responsive with monstrous volume. Then you take it home to a familiar environment and compare it with your $100 beater guitar and are amazed how good your beater guitar sounds :D. This could be one reason why some guitarist quickly change their impression of an instrument and end up selling it and buying another.

I remember when I first moved into my apartment with hardwood floors. There was zero furniture in the room and I whipped out my guitar and started playing... I was blown away because it sounded as if my guitar had transformed into an eardrum blasting cannon. Once we added couches, a rug, etc. it went back to sounding like its normal self.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:34 am

Me thinks it's most likely secondary to buyer's remorse.

Guero

Post by Guero » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:44 am

MarkInLA wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:22 pm
and allow complete strangers to come in and walk around while we're practicing
And put a sign "Ask before playing"
And don't forget to hang some protection aprons..

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:23 am

I always bring one of my own to compare so I get a much better idea or cannot be fooled by great acoustics.
2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple) 2018 Simon Ambridge Model 40 Satinwood. 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce, 2017 Richard Reynoso, spruce/maple, 2015 Herman Hauser III(Cedar)

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:53 pm

If I want to buy a guitar I try to take another guitar with me probably a good one to compare

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:17 pm

Guero wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:44 am
MarkInLA wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:22 pm
and allow complete strangers to come in and walk around while we're practicing
And put a sign "Ask before playing"
And don't forget to hang some protection aprons..
Actually the odd thing is there usually are no "Ask B P" signs ! I don't know what 'projection aprons' are, but I get your drift (wood)...
Thanks. At least 2 people have a sense of humor around here ! :lol:

EPeczek

Post by EPeczek » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:52 am

Pat Dodson wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:55 pm
“That’s the best guitar by far in the shop at that price level!” complained the manager.
Or did he mean it's the one he most wanted to shift?

Guitar shops can be wonderful places or a bad experience waiting to happen. A lot depends on the staff. When I bought my first steel string(!) I played the ones in the shop within my price range and quickly fell in love. The salesman seemed determined to sell me a different guitar because he thought it was better (even though it sounded dead and lifeless). The guitar I fell in love with just happened to be about £100 cheaper, so I think he was just gunning for a bigger sale.

On the other hand, I used to visit a tiny little guitar shop in my home town and the owner was fantastic. He gave you all the time in the world to try out guitars, hang around and talk music with friends and generally was the informal music hub in town. A wonderful place to visit and nurture a love for music.
Classical Guitar Academy - www.classicalguitaracademy.co.uk

Return to “Public Space”