Takeharu "Lady" guitar

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
AAA

Takeharu "Lady" guitar

Post by AAA » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:23 am

Sorry to duplicate a post I made elsewhere, but it seems to have fallen through the cracks and I've gotten no answers or information, probably because the subject line where I posted is somewhat specialized. Asking again, then:

Inspired by Rafaella Smits' magnificent playing of the Chaconne on a small-bodied Baroque-style guitar, I snagged one of the Takeharu "Lady" models (630 mm scale length, 47.5 mm at the nut). The sound is very nice, rich and full and fairly "modern" despite the small body. So my question: what was this particular model designed for? Quasi-historical performances? Portability? Children? Parlor guitar? Something else?

Also, given the scale length and the sound, any suggestions as to what strings/tension to use on the instrument?

AA

Peter Frary

Re: Takeharu "Lady" guitar

Post by Peter Frary » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:33 am

630mm scale is typically "cadet" size intended for children. Señorita scale is usually 640mm (my wife owns a couple). Given Takeharu's association with the Suzuki Violin company I suspect cadet is the likely design purpose. With that said, to me Takeharu guitars look more like a parlor guitar than a cadet model.
I play a Tiny Tenor 6 so I look taller on stage!

AAA

Post by AAA » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:52 am

Peter Frary wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:33 am
630mm scale is typically "cadet" size intended for children. Señorita scale is usually 640mm (my wife owns a couple). Given Takeharu's association with the Suzuki Violin company I suspect cadet is the likely design purpose. With that said, to me Takeharu guitars look more like a parlor guitar than a cadet model.
Just this evening I stumbled upon Anton Baranov's masterclass re Legnani's Caprice #7 on Tonebase. The Takeharu "Lady" model looks an awful lot like an attempt to imitate the guitars of the late 1700s-early 1800s, even down to the turned up ends of the bridge.

BaranovGuitar.jpg
AA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter Frary

Post by Peter Frary » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:11 pm

That one certainly does! The ones I recall from the 1970s looked more like a standard classical but smaller and with a Suzuki label.
I play a Tiny Tenor 6 so I look taller on stage!

Return to “Public Space”