The Russians are invading Germany next week

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
MartenFalk

Re: The Russians are invading Germany next week

Post by MartenFalk » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:31 am

RobMacKillop wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:20 am
Haha. I'd offer to tour with them.
Could turn out adventurous... :shock:

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:02 pm

MartenFalk wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:06 am
But I might add that since my mid teens I have had a great love for Russian novels, films, music and musicians. I think Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Chekhov, Tarkovsky, Mussorgsky, Skriabin, Rachmanoniv, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Richter, Gilels, Oistrakh, Rostropovitj are among the greatest artists ever so I was happy to find out that the guitar actually have a place in this tradition.
True, world culture would be so much poorer without them.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Finn Wandahl

Post by Finn Wandahl » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:39 pm

by MartenFalk » Friday 26 October 2018, 08:18 am
I have probably over 20 000 pages of music for Russian guitar and I know there are even more out there. I hope that more guitarists will start investigating this hudden treasure.
This music and your playing sounds absolute lovely. Would it be possible for you to provide a link to some website where we could download the scores of some of these pieces?
Finn Wandahl - Copenhagen

markworthi

Post by markworthi » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:44 pm

Thank you, Marten, for posting this amazing 43 minute performance-- you're a very fine player, and I enjoyed every bit of it; and thanks also for directing us to Russian guitar music. I've always wanted to try some of these pieces, but I've been dissuaded by some who say the music was written for 7 strings and much of it does not work very well on a 6 string instrument. Do you agree with this?

Anyway, you have inspired me to look further. I was happy to see, very coincidentally, that a full five-hour playlist of Russian guitar music 1800-1850 was posted on Youtube just yesterday. (I don't know if there's a copyright issue with including the link, so I won't do it; but if anyone's interested, it's been put up by Brilliant Classics).

Best,

Mark

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:17 am

Finn Wandahl wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:39 pm
by MartenFalk » Friday 26 October 2018, 08:18 am
I have probably over 20 000 pages of music for Russian guitar and I know there are even more out there. I hope that more guitarists will start investigating this hudden treasure.
This music and your playing sounds absolute lovely. Would it be possible for you to provide a link to some website where we could download the scores of some of these pieces?
Thanks! I am happy you like it!
Here are many scores https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... hWidQeTwQS
There is also a site with many, many thousands of pages of Russian guitar scores. 99% of it has no copyright issues, but some might be newer, that's why I cannot include a link. But the adress is "sevenstring" followed by ".ru"

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:24 am

markworthi wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:44 pm
Thank you, Marten, for posting this amazing 43 minute performance-- you're a very fine player, and I enjoyed every bit of it; and thanks also for directing us to Russian guitar music. I've always wanted to try some of these pieces, but I've been dissuaded by some who say the music was written for 7 strings and much of it does not work very well on a 6 string instrument. Do you agree with this?

Anyway, you have inspired me to look further. I was happy to see, very coincidentally, that a full five-hour playlist of Russian guitar music 1800-1850 was posted on Youtube just yesterday. (I don't know if there's a copyright issue with including the link, so I won't do it; but if anyone's interested, it's been put up by Brilliant Classics).

Best,

Mark
Thanks, glad you like it! I agree that this music is marvelous. I would say that the suitability depends on the piece. For example, the Canzona by Vetrov is somewhat easier on six strings (if you just octavate some D basses), also Alexandrov will work quite fine on six strings. But Sarenko and Sychra would not be satisfactory on a Spanish guitar. I would suggest you do as I did: try it on six strings for a year, fall in love with the music, get frustrated by not being able to play all of it, get a Russian guitar... :D
There are some very cheap Russian seven string guitars on e b a y if you just want to try it (of course the sound of these will be as cheap as price).

markworthi

Post by markworthi » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:15 pm

MartenFalk wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:24 am
Thanks, glad you like it! I agree that this music is marvelous. I would say that the suitability depends on the piece. For example, the Canzona by Vetrov is somewhat easier on six strings (if you just octavate some D basses), also Alexandrov will work quite fine on six strings. But Sarenko and Sychra would not be satisfactory on a Spanish guitar. I would suggest you do as I did: try it on six strings for a year, fall in love with the music, get frustrated by not being able to play all of it, get a Russian guitar... :D
There are some very cheap Russian seven string guitars on e b a y if you just want to try it (of course the sound of these will be as cheap as price).
Ah, wouldn't you know it: I had been looking at that "Troika" by Sychra.

Well, I do like the idea of a Russian seven string guitar, but it might test the strictness of our "one in, one out" policy that's necessary in a New York apartment. Maybe I can convince my wife that guitars really do make fine wall art. :)

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:13 pm

markworthi wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:15 pm
MartenFalk wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:24 am
Ah, wouldn't you know it: I had been looking at that "Troika" by Sychra.

Well, I do like the idea of a Russian seven string guitar, but it might test the strictness of our "one in, one out" policy that's necessary in a New York apartment. Maybe I can convince my wife that guitars really do make fine wall art. :)
Ah... New York apartment, that's another problem. Personally I live in the countryside and I have about thirty guitars. So the choice is: compact living with few guitars in a busy city or a big house with lots of guitars in the calm countryside. For me the choice was quite simple...

Finn Wandahl

Post by Finn Wandahl » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:21 pm

MartenFalk wrote: Thanks! I am happy you like it!
Here are many scores https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... hWidQeTwQS
There is also a site with many, many thousands of pages of Russian guitar scores. 99% of it has no copyright issues, but some might be newer, that's why I cannot include a link. But the adress is "sevenstring" followed by ".ru"
Dear Marten,

Thank you for sharing this link. I also heard your latest concert on the Royal Conservatory in Copenhagen where you also played some of this music on a beautiful original 7-stringed guitar from the early romantic period itself, sounding very interesting, and with a surprisingly dark and round sound. I suppose this is because of the tuning, which I understand is like a G-Major chord, meaning its a little deeper that the normal classical guitar tuning. Actually we talked a little and shaked hands after the concert.

As I understood it, the Russian tuning is: B-D-G-D-G-B-D as against the usual E-A-D-G-B-E. Did I get it right?

/ finn
Finn Wandahl - Copenhagen

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:23 pm

MartenFalk wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:21 am
(Sorry for the subject title - I couldn't resist...)
Next week in western Germany (very close to the Netherlands) I will perform a concert of the unjustly neglected Russian guitar repertoire. The concert will include a modern premiere of the Sonatina from 1798 by Ignaz von Held, a piece that (to my knowledge) hasn't been performed for at least 150 years. The rest of the concert will mainly consist of the romantic repertoire by Sychra, Sarenko, Alexandrov and Vetrov but I will also include some music by the legendary "gypsy style" genius Sergey Orekhov.
The concert is a part of the Gall Guitar Festival and it is located at Kirchenschiff, Nordhorn on Sunday 4th, 19.00
I perform the concert on my c:a 1860 Ivan Krasnoschiokov guitar. I hope to see you there!
Some of the romantic repertoire I will be playing can be heard here (this video has been posted in another thread):
Will you perform your concert in the United States?
Are you familiar with any Russian chamber music for mixed instruments including guitar?

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Thu May 02, 2019 5:02 pm

Hello, yes, I will play it in Iowa City on May 15.
The chamber music repertoire is not enormous. There are duos with piano and with violin, and if course a lot of songs.

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Thu May 02, 2019 5:57 pm

MartenFalk wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:02 pm
Hello, yes, I will play it in Iowa City on May 15.
The chamber music repertoire is not enormous. There are duos with piano and with violin, and if course a lot of songs.
Thank you.

fiver78

Post by fiver78 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:44 pm

I first heard the russian 7 string from this video

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:34 pm

fiver78 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:44 pm
I first heard the russian 7 string from this video
Isn't she great!