"Real" electric classical

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
AAA

"Real" electric classical

Post by AAA » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:51 pm

Is anybody making a solid body (or chambered body) electric classical with an actual 52 mm nut?

I have a Godin and a Yamaha Silent, and they're both 50 mm.

Non-radiused fingerboard preferred.

Anybody?

AA

SleepyheadRooster

Re: "Real" electric classical

Post by SleepyheadRooster » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:27 pm

I found Rick Turner Renaissance models with both 2” and 1 15/16” nuts on Reverb. You might check into that.
Best,
Chuck

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:36 pm

As I recall, the Chet Atkins CEC Classic by Gibson and it's budget Epiphone counterpart had a 2 inch nut.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:13 pm

AgedAngel wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:51 pm
Is anybody making a solid body (or chambered body) electric classical with an actual 52 mm nut?

I have a Godin and a Yamaha Silent, and they're both 50 mm.

Non-radiused fingerboard preferred.

Anybody?

AA
Which godin do you have?
2018 Yamaha gc42s
72 Yamaha gc6d
76 Yamaha g220
71 Yamaha g100a
(At the moment)

ragdoll serenade

Post by ragdoll serenade » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:06 am

I think the Yamaha SLG200NW has a 52 nut and flat fingerboard. Not to be confused with the SLG200N.

Ceciltguitar

Post by Ceciltguitar » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:31 am

Not sure of the specs, but you could check Kirk Sand guitars.

AAA

Post by AAA » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:17 am

Altophile wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:36 pm
As I recall, the Chet Atkins CEC Classic by Gibson and it's budget Epiphone counterpart had a 2 inch nut.
Ah, therein lies the rub. My Godin (Godin Multiac Grand Concert Duet Ambiance, to reply to the query about the model) and the Yamaha Silent both have 2" nuts. But 52 mm nuts are more like 2 1/8 inch. (2 inches is about 50 mm.) It seems a little niggly to quibble about 2 mm difference, but a two-inch nut combined with a C-shaped neck comes out as more of a "fusion" feel after playing a D-shaped necks with a 52 mm nut (my Kohno and Ramirez), and I'm really looking for consistency under my fingers.

Thank you nonetheless, everyone, for your kind suggestions.

AA

AAA

Post by AAA » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:23 am

Ceciltguitar wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:31 am
Not sure of the specs, but you could check Kirk Sand guitars.
Thank you for your reply. I went to Sand's website, but he doesn't appear to give any specifications re his guitars.

AA

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:27 am

AgedAngel, Where do you live? I don't see it in your profile.
Steve

AAA

Post by AAA » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:40 am

Steve Ganz wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:27 am
AgedAngel, Where do you live? I don't see it in your profile.
I tend not to part with personal data, so I leave profiles blank as a matter of course. But I will say that I'm in Colorado, USA.

AA

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:19 am

AgedAngel wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:17 am
Altophile wrote:
Ah, therein lies the rub. My Godin (Godin Multiac Grand Concert Duet Ambiance, to reply to the query about the model) and the Yamaha Silent both have 2" nuts. But 52 mm nuts are more like 2 1/8 inch. (2 inches is about 50 mm.) It seems a little niggly to quibble about 2 mm difference, but a two-inch nut combined with a C-shaped neck comes out as more of a "fusion" feel after playing a D-shaped necks with a 52 mm nut (my Kohno and Ramirez), and I'm really looking for consistency under my fingers.

AA
Well, I merely ment to say that the CEC Classic has a standard nut for a classical guitar. If standard is 2 1/8 then I believe that's what it has. I owned one once and it was no different than the neck on any other classical guitar, as far as I could tell.

AAA

Post by AAA » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:31 am

Altophile wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:19 am
AgedAngel wrote:
Altophile wrote:

AA
Well, I merely ment to say that the CEC Classic has a standard nut for a classical guitar. If standard is 2 1/8 then I believe that's what it has. I owned one once and it was no different than the neck on any other classical guitar, as far as I could tell.
I'm sorry if I seemed abrupt. I believe you're right: the vintage CEC has a standard classical nut (if the information I've found online is accurate). But the darn things are scarce as hen's teeth. I managed to find a beautiful specimen in burgundy...but it happened to be in South Africa.

AA

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:36 am

AgedAngel wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:31 am
Altophile wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:19 am
AgedAngel wrote:

AA
I'm sorry if I seemed abrupt. I believe you're right: the vintage CEC has a standard classical nut (if the information I've found online is accurate). But the darn things are scarce as hen's teeth. I managed to find a beautiful specimen in burgundy...but it happened to be in South Africa.

AA
No worries:-) You can find both the Gibsons and the Epiphones on e - b a y from time to time. A georgeous Gibson CEC Classic with that was redish in color was for sale locally recently, but I just couldn't bring myself to part with the money for a six string (I'm spoiled now having owned an eight and now a seven string).

AAA

Post by AAA » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:44 am

Altophile wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:36 am
No worries:-) You can find both the Gibsons and the Epiphones on e - b a y from time to time. A georgeous Gibson CEC Classic with that was redish in color was for sale locally recently, but I just couldn't bring myself to part with the money for a six string (I'm spoiled now having owned an eight and now a seven string).
Yes, I've often looked on e - b a y. One thing about those Atkins solidbodies, though: they don't seem to have held up very well over the years (either that or their owners are consistently clumsy). Checked finishes, cracked finishes...all in all, they tend to look pretty beat up.

Then, too, the sellers often don't seem aware of whether they're selling a CE (1 7/8 nut) or a CEC (2 1/8 nut). I purchased what was described as a CEC some months ago, but had to return it: it turned out to be a CE.

The search goes on...

AA

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:56 am

AgedAngel wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:44 am
Altophile wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:36 am
Yes, I've often looked on e - b a y. One thing about those Atkins solidbodies, though: they don't seem to have held up very well over the years (either that or their owners are consistently clumsy). Checked finishes, cracked finishes...all in all, they tend to look pretty beat up.

Then, too, the sellers often don't seem aware of whether they're selling a CE (1 7/8 nut) or a CEC (2 1/8 nut). I purchased what was described as a CEC some months ago, but had to return it: it turned out to be a CE.

The search goes on...

AA
I had the exact same experience years ago! I purchased an Epiphone CEC Classic from a fellow in Canada, but when I got it, it turned out to be the CE model, so I returned it.

Now I'd probably go for a Godin seven string, just to get the newer electronics:-)
Last edited by Altophile on Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Public Space”