Classical Guitar in deep crises? Cruises, more like! (Wigmore Hall today)

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Fretful

Classical Guitar in deep crises? Cruises, more like! (Wigmore Hall today)

Post by Fretful » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:59 pm

Thibaut Garcia (with Antoine Morinière) has just given a lunchtime concert at the Wigmore Hall - his debut there (Programme below).
Another stunning, flawless exponent of the great flow of new masters of the guitar, all cruising hopefully to a bright future, although the sheer number makes it increasingly difficult for venues to accommodate them in view of the fact that audiences in the main are so meagre. Even today, sad to say, the hall was only just over half full, but perhaps the fact that the concert was broadcast live on Radio 3 kept numbers down.

For those of you who were not there, there is another chance to hear this flawless player’s recital on Radio 3 at 1 pm on Sunday 4th November, at which precise time, the Guitar Festival will be in full swing at the Royal College of Music with Gary Ryan, Xufei Yang, Mark Eden, Chris Stell, John Williams, and Laura Snowden! I shall try to report if I am not snowed under!

I shouldn’t convey my feelings regarding Thibaut Garcia’s playing today, for they are neither here nor there. Virtually flawless, it undoubtedly was. The Chaconne was crisp, clinical, and as precise as pins. La Catedral, a marvel of clarity but remarkable, I felt, or rather didn’t, for its lack of emotional depth: fabulous skeletal structure with bones galore but not an ounce of marrow. But then, the next listener may have had to fight back their tears, who knows?

Be that as it may, his Bernabe guitar (bowed with Savarez strings) more than amply filled the hall which must boast of some of the finest acoustics in the world.

What an incredible plethora of guitar music currently cascading over London!
Wigmore Hall - 20-10-2018.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter Lovett

Re: Classical Guitar in deep crises? Cruises, more like! (Wigmore Hall today)

Post by Peter Lovett » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:59 pm

You lucky so and so to have such a plethora of riches on hand.
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

Briant

Post by Briant » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:12 am

I also went to the concert and thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon. It has been a long time since i attended a cocert at the wigmore hall having moved outside london.
What surprised me was looking at the programme of forthcoming events there was no other guitar concerts planned.
There used to be a classicalguitar concert every sunday evening, i had the good fortune of hearing many stars.

Fretful

Post by Fretful » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:00 pm

Peter Lovett wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:59 pm
You lucky so and so to have such a plethora of riches on hand.
You are right, we are blessed, THRICE blessed! From that point of view, London is a fantastic city … but try to get a tube or train back home after hours and you’ll be stumped; or, for that matter a restaurant after midnight (in Paris, that’s when they really start, but then, they have nothing like the same number of guitar-related activities with which we are showered!).
Briant wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:12 am
I also went to the concert and thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon.What surprised me was looking at the programme of forthcoming events there was no other guitar concerts planned.
Yes, getting audiences nowadays is the bane of all our lives. Players resort to YouTube which is a marvellous platform but it erodes audiences mercilessly, as it does CD sales. Publicising concerts is cripplingly expensive. But the air is vibrant with a good feeling at the moment. There is a fantastic amount of talent, too much in fact, paradoxically.
Word-of-mouth is the thing. Keep talking. Sow the seeds in the wind, some will fall on stone, some on deaf ears, but some will germinate!
fast eddie wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:59 am
to play simultaneously A on the 1st string, 5 th fret and F on 1st fret 6th string. I don't think my old hands can possibly reach that far. Any suggestions?
We've all been there! Developing a "stretched" hand is crucial for all string players (try the cello or the double bass!) John Williams once said (with some nonchalance) "The aim is that it should all become easy and comfortable. Yes, that is a wonderful feeling! Trouble is that, usually, this can only be achieved if one has started in infancy, before the bones, muscles, tendons are fylly formed. Otherwise, it's the daily stretching routine, the ballet dancer's daily grind.

Have you seen or tried the exercises advocated for LH stretching by John Williams? I'll re-post those for you right after this message.
But whatever you do, Eddie, don’t take them too fast!

Return to “Public Space”