Damping basses using wrist.

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Conall

Re: Damping basses using wrist.

Post by Conall » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:46 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:11 pm
Conall wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:43 pm
Now I have to go looking for the sheet music of Roman's.....
There's some at IMSLP.org including 'Instrumental Pieces for Violin Solo' - in a facsimile of the original manuscript. I haven't looked in these to see if they're suitable, but it would be a good place to start.

I'd only known Roman for his Drottningholm Music which I'd heard on UK Radio 3 - then heard some of it again when I visited the Drottningholm Palace in Sweden a few years ago.
I just had a look on the imspl site and found the entire score for violin.
As with the Telemann pieces, some of the movements are a bit thin (single voiced)- but the more contrapuntal ones will be better.
The siciliene that Koch plays is in Eb & he cleverly plays it in the original key but with C major fingering (I think) since his alto guitar is a minor 3rd higher than normal guitar - so (unless he transposes at sight) it's more resonant than it would be on a 6 string (unless a 6 string player transposes to C major).
I note he has filled in some basses. I don't have a problem with that if it sounds convincing (and I know that's subjective) and I think his arrangement works well.

Conall

Re: Damping basses using wrist.

Post by Conall » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:49 pm

soltirefa wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:27 pm
Here are two pieces that are on Goran Sollscher's Eleven-String Baroque album

Andante

http://web.archive.org/web/201012040558 ... ndante.pdf

Bourree

http://web.archive.org/web/200811211528 ... ourree.pdf
Excellent, thanks - yes, the siciliene / andante is in C major fingering, as I suspected.
Right, that's yet another piece to learn!

I'm not as fond of the bourree as the other - but I'll try that too.

Cheers,

Conall

Return to “Public Space”