Guitar makers of Ecuador

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
powermrk

Guitar makers of Ecuador

Post by powermrk » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:10 pm

In Southern Ecuador, lies a small village about 30 kilometers east of Cuenca where guitar-making is a way of life. San Bartolome is a picturesque town located on a hill with several guitar shops along the main road. No one really knows when the guitar-making tradition began, but it dates back at least 200 years, and many families can trace their own family guitar-making traditions to a 100 years back or more.

There are about 10 guitar-makers in this town, most of the from the safe family.. When in San Bartolome, one can visit the studios and homes of the guitar makers and see the guitars are made. This offers travellers an opportunity to support these artisans, interact with them directly, learn first hand about their trade, and perhaps purchase a fine handmade guitar to take back home.

I've heard a little about these luthiers' workshops in the village of San Bartolome. Has anyone gone to visit the instrument makers, or bought an instrument from them?

Especially, I am interested in the luthier of Luis Uyaguari Quezada. Do you know of him and his guitars?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFaz6y ... DdG9A/feed

https://www.facebook.com/guitarras.uyag ... 1540958528

powermrk

Re: Guitar makers of Ecuador

Post by powermrk » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:57 am

Nobody knows?

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:38 am

Sounds like a great place to visit, and the quality of Quezada's work looks high. They need to have a collective website, promoting them as a group.

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:50 am

Sorry i don't know anything about him. I did buy a Olivio Chiliquinga guitar in 2014 when I visited Ecuador, he is in Quito though. This mentions Olivio https://www.eltelegrafo.com.ec/noticias ... or-calidad but my spanish is non exsisitant so I'm not sure if he comes from there.
Last edited by muirtan on Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

powermrk

Post by powermrk » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:52 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:38 am
Sounds like a great place to visit, and the quality of Quezada's work looks high. They need to have a collective website, promoting them as a group.
I agree! They are relatives living in the same village but building music instruments separately.
I like Luis Enrique Uyaguari's works and has sent messages to his FB regarding the classical guitars he built days ago. unfortunately, I haven't got any messages back till now.

Return to “Public Space”