2019 Guitar Goals

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Kirkland Gavin
Student of the online lessons

Re: 2019 Guitar Goals

Post by Kirkland Gavin » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:06 pm

Hmm Goals. Learn more scales and pieces, songs ect. Of course enjoyment is the overall deal.
1. Play with a metronome, this is something I have never done before. I have always counted by tapping with my foot or trying to say it out loud or mentally haha.
2. Work (practice) on playing Loud to soft to medium ect. expression I suppose you know play music.
3. Work on tremolo, different picking, staccato, free stroke, rest stroke ect. Also strumming and different rhythms.
4. Be able to play pieces or music in different keys.
5 Finish D04 and get to D05 and finish it as well. This will be fun.

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:19 am

I am still focused (obsessed) on learning the fretboard. My latest attempts involve playing all notes (not including sharpe and flats) in every position on the fretboard. So I play all to the notes from low E to high E. Then I do the same with A, etc and continue with all the notes (E, A, B, C, D, F and G.) Then I try to play each note selected at random, in all positions. Next I play major scales of C, D, E, F and G n several positions. Finally I apply what I have learned to a new piece of music by selecting the appropriate frets needed.

Initially didn't't think that I was up to this because of my age (almost 79), but for unknown reasons feel a strong compulsion to become proficient in this. No single technique works for me. For example playing scales in 3 positions does not help me know what are the options for playing F (174 Hz).

I don't expect anything to happen overnight but there is some progress. I am trying to get this fixed into my permanent memory (if there is any left). :) really
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Spruce
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:01 am

2019: To keep my repertoire alive and really make the most out of it. It's easy to get lost in new pieces and forget about the good old ones.

I will also release my first album for solo guitar.

/Jon
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
1999 - Lorenzo Frignani
2017 - Tobias Braun

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:52 pm

fast eddie wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:19 am
I am still focused (obsessed) on learning the fretboard. My latest attempts involve playing all notes (not including sharpe and flats) in every position on the fretboard. So I play all to the notes from low E to high E. Then I do the same with A, etc and continue with all the notes (E, A, B, C, D, F and G.) Then I try to play each note selected at random, in all positions. Next I play major scales of C, D, E, F and G n several positions. Finally I apply what I have learned to a new piece of music by selecting the appropriate frets needed.

Initially didn't't think that I was up to this because of my age (almost 79), but for unknown reasons feel a strong compulsion to become proficient in this. No single technique works for me. For example playing scales in 3 positions does not help me know what are the options for playing F (174 Hz).

I don't expect anything to happen overnight but there is some progress. I am trying to get this fixed into my permanent memory (if there is any left). :) really
I've been doing the same thing over the last year or so and I found that playing pieces from sight which covered the higher positions really did consolidate the knowledge. Without sight-reading those pieces, it wasn't really sinking in.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:44 pm

lucy wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:36 pm
..... Learning the guitar is a long-term game.
You can say that again!
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:08 pm

Since I've been surfing and reading obsessively for the last little while...I've notice all the disparaging comments about 3-chord guitarists - :?

However - I also realize, that IS my immediate goal! :mrgreen:

Actually, I think I'm up to 8 chords now...problem is switching from chord to chord...but it's getting faster (albeit very slowly)...

*One-and, two-and, three-and, foouuuuuuur...-and one-and two-and three-and, fooouuuuuur...* :lol:
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Tombama

Post by Tombama » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:53 pm

My goal as a new member is to be able to complete level one requirements and move on to level two the following year.

SleepyheadRooster

Post by SleepyheadRooster » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:28 pm

1. To continue playing 45-60 minutes of classical guitar everyday, in addition to all my other musical activities.

2. To be patient with my own progress and not get frustrated with the pace of my development as a classical guitarist.

3. To remember that I am doing this for my own enjoyment and satisfation. While I am a professional musician, I am not (and don’t need to be) a professional classical guitarist.
Best,
Chuck

Mike Atkinson

Post by Mike Atkinson » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:26 pm

So, today, I had my first guitar lesson since 1986. For most of the time between then, and now, I have not played guitar. But I did pick it back up a couple of years back, and have been trying to progress at a steady pace. Results from my lesson .. boy, do I suck.

I am thrilled with my lesson, and the opportunities it presents.

I do believe I am going to have to step down what I am attempting to do quite a bit, for a while. I believe I had spent the last few years, going slow, trying to correct many of the poor habits acquired through decades of not practicing, or poor habits I played with all through my early years. And I do believe I made progress toward being a better player. But, my lesson showed my understanding of how to define a better player is incomplete, if not inaccurate.

Even the best, in any field of endeavor, train regularly with a coach.
2018 Cordoba Esteso Cedar

Dartez82

Post by Dartez82 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:45 pm

Work through Tarrega's book of preludes, and learn English Suite by Duarte.

Return to “Public Space”