Petra Poláčková

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Kenbobpdx

Re: Petra Poláčková

Post by Kenbobpdx » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:29 pm

Now, as for the Cyndy Burton, just ‘wow’. Now THAT’S a guitar I would happily own. A little surprising as she is best known for her French polishing.

Peter
As a very proud owner of one of Cyndy's guitars I can attest to the quality of her instruments. I commissioned mine in 1981 and it was completed in 1982. It is an example of how a well made instrument can age beautifully.

I did recently play a redwood top/maple back and sides guitar that Cyndy built in 1993. It was purchased recently by a fellow Delcamper who sent it to Jeff and Cyndy for a check up. Absolutely beautiful and unusual guitar that had been very well cared for by its original owner. I wish I could have spent more than hour playing it. I am just glad it found a good home.

Cyndy hasn't been building for quite a few years now although she does the finish work for Jeff's instruments.
"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."
Abraham Lincoln

Kenbobpdx

Post by Kenbobpdx » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:38 pm

BTW, I love her playing of the Ponce Preludes on the Jerome Casanova.
"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."
Abraham Lincoln

danno

Post by danno » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:25 am

Such delicate balancing of voices.
2012 Toby Rzepka

Carey

Post by Carey » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:11 am

After watching all the videos, I like the "An Malvina" best by quite a ways. Music, player, and guitar all fit so well in that piece. Brava.

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:39 pm

Petra is a wonderful musician and an excellent teacher. I've been fortunate to play Mertz for her in 3 separate master classes and learned a tremendous amount from her each time.
Chris Freitag

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

Shakelford

Post by Shakelford » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:43 pm

Regulus wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:02 am
Thank you for sharing this, I was unaware of this talented woman.
I am loving the amount of female guitarist videos on Youtube, having started following links off from an Ana Vidovic video, to discover a world of talented and expressive musicians. So much talent, and so many wonderful interpretations.
This girl is my current favourite. She is so talented, and has a beautiful, expressive style. She plays with a quartet in Germany as well as her solo work.
I love watching her take 'an enjoyable journey' through each piece she presents. Truly a future 'name'.
Stephanie Jones, and I hope you enjoy her video as much as I enjoyed the one you shared.

Her Youtube Channel is: https://www.youtube.com/user/stephaniejonesguitar
...but of the many highly talented and skilled classical female guitarist's, I have not seen any born, raised and trained in the US. It appears most are European.

Ray

Post by Ray » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:28 am

Shakelford wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:43 pm

...but of the many highly talented and skilled classical female guitarist's, I have not seen any born, raised and trained in the US. It appears most are European.
It's an extremely difficult career to embark on and the cultural value and future of the classical guitar (at least the way I see and feel it having lived here in the US for many years and keeping up with the classical guitar scene) is not as strong in the USA as it is in Europe and Asian countries. So in a field like classical guitar where there are women but a number less than men and in the United States where there are a number of young men entering the field but a smaller number of women that probably explains why we hear and see more of the European and Asian born/trained players on YouTube than American ones. That being said here are a few great American born and raised and trained young female virtuosos who you should listen to, they're great players.

http://www.chaconneklaverenga.com

http://krystinomara.com

Jiji is Korean born but she studied with Jason Vieaux at Curtis for two years and got her master's at Yale with Ben Verdery - she recently won the Concert Artists Guild award and has many concerts lined up and a major teaching position at a US university. The way she speaks and acts is all-American if you ask me, she's been here long enough going to American music schools to have assimilated our culture (whatever that may be)

http://jijiguitar.com

Shakelford

Post by Shakelford » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:54 pm

That's great feedback Ray. Thanks for the info. I will certainly check those out. I hear it takes 5 hrs. a day of practice to get to "that level". At least that's how much Segovia and Parkening practiced. John Williams is one of my favorites, I wonder how much time he put in? Maybe i'll start a topic on "how much we practice"..

Regards,,

Evan

Post by Evan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:07 am

Stephanie Jones is Australian, but based in Europe now. I saw her play a few months ago. Amazing.

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:26 pm

Here’s another video:

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Return to “Public Space”