Johann Strauss Guitar Quartet

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
musicbyandy

Johann Strauss Guitar Quartet

Post by musicbyandy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:01 pm

I recently read that in the early 1820s Johann Strauss Senior played viola in a quartet including Josef Lanner on violin and the Drahanek brothers on clarinet and guitar. I'm wondering if anyone knows of surviving music that this Lanner/Strauss/Drahanek quartet might have played.
Andrew Arriaga

Board of Directors, Classical Revolution PDX
Guitar Instructor, Suzuki Stumptown
Music Editor, OCP

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Re: Johann Strauss Guitar Quartet

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:55 am

Begin your search by seeking out "Schrammelmusik" - be aware though, that the guitar used in Strauss' quartet was most likely a contraguitar with added basses. Contraguitars are still quite common and may be picked up very, very cheaply - even originals go for as little as £500. By chance I have recently ordered a later one (c.1920) - rosewood back & sides, spruce table etc., cost only £650.

Schrammelmusik is still performed today though the clarinet is often replaced by the accordeon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGU7MhlhXfk

If you search for some of the modern bands you might be able to track down a few scores.

musicbyandy

Re: Johann Strauss Guitar Quartet

Post by musicbyandy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:21 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:55 am
Begin your search by seeking out "Schrammelmusik" - be aware though, that the guitar used in Strauss' quartet was most likely a contraguitar with added basses. Contraguitars are still quite common and may be picked up very, very cheaply - even originals go for as little as £500. By chance I have recently ordered a later one (c.1920) - rosewood back & sides, spruce table etc., cost only £650.

Schrammelmusik is still performed today though the clarinet is often replaced by the accordeon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGU7MhlhXfk

If you search for some of the modern bands you might be able to track down a few scores.
Thanks! I've read about Schrammelmusik in regards to it being Austrian and including guitar and clarinet. When I read about the Strauss quartet I thought about Schrammelmusik. I'd like to learn more about the connection between Schrammelmusik and waltz.
Andrew Arriaga

Board of Directors, Classical Revolution PDX
Guitar Instructor, Suzuki Stumptown
Music Editor, OCP

Return to “Public Space”