Diagonal Movement

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Diagonal Movement

Post by Matthew McAllister » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:25 am

Hi,

I was working on a little diagonal movement yesterday during practice.

I hope you find it useful.

Matthew :D

mmexercises

Erik Zurcher

Re: Diagonal Movement

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:43 am

Additional exercise: non-stop irregular diagonal movements while looking and talking to the camera. :wink:
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:44 am

Erik Zurcher wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:43 am
Additional exercise: non-stop irregular diagonal movements while looking and talking to the camera. :wink:
Ha ha! Multi tasking - the real route to classical guitar mastery!

Kent

Post by Kent » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:33 pm

Thanks for this Matthew!
I have been doing something similar for years. Usually in the upper register, going up and down across all the strings. Learned it as a warm up from a old Clapton technique video, as a warm up exercise. I think your recommendations are better and now I will follow your guideline.
Always enjoy your contribution here. The best guitarists always share their knowledge as much as possible.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:35 pm

Kent wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:33 pm
...The best guitarists always share their knowledge as much as possible.
+1
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:52 am

Kent wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:33 pm
Thanks for this Matthew!
I have been doing something similar for years. Usually in the upper register, going up and down across all the strings. Learned it as a warm up from a old Clapton technique video, as a warm up exercise. I think your recommendations are better and now I will follow your guideline.
Always enjoy your contribution here. The best guitarists always share their knowledge as much as possible.
My pleasure Kent, happy to hear these videos are helping.

Smith

Post by Smith » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:34 pm

Another nice helpful video!
I like the idea of using four strings in the way you demonstrate, playing one way and then sort of reversing it like a mirror image, then moving the whole business along the length of the fretboard.
I often do this with any old chord on four strings or even three or two strings. Reversing the LH pattern really helps me find the ideal balance in the wrist and forearm.
Also when I do these types of exercises chromatically along the fret board I will nearly always incorporate at least one open string, just for fun.
My favourite thing you do is the speed bursts, changing tempo at will but very smoothly. I’m terrible at that. Thx for posting!

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:58 am

Smith wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:34 pm
Another nice helpful video!
I like the idea of using four strings in the way you demonstrate, playing one way and then sort of reversing it like a mirror image, then moving the whole business along the length of the fretboard.
I often do this with any old chord on four strings or even three or two strings. Reversing the LH pattern really helps me find the ideal balance in the wrist and forearm.
Also when I do these types of exercises chromatically along the fret board I will nearly always incorporate at least one open string, just for fun.
My favourite thing you do is the speed bursts, changing tempo at will but very smoothly. I’m terrible at that. Thx for posting!
Happy to help! I will make a specific speed burst exercise video.

M

Return to “Public Space”