Adam Falckenhagen - Minuet - origin?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Weed

Adam Falckenhagen - Minuet - origin?

Post by Weed » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:26 am

perhaps the commonest Falckenhagen piece arranged for guitar to be found on YouTube is a simple Minuet, usually in E major, but sometimes in D major -- does anyone know which set of pieces it comes from? -- Wikipedia lists his works as 6 Sonatas, 6 Partitas and a Prelude but gives no details -- looking through the track listings on Amazon hasn't helped either

pogmoor

Re: Adam Falckenhagen - Minuet - origin?

Post by pogmoor » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:17 am

It appears as a duet arrangement in Frederick Noad's Baroque Guitar. He says:
This minuet is taken from a manuscript lute book (Bayerische Stadtsbibliotek. Mus. MS. 5362.), where it appears as Minuet and Variation. However it is hard to believe that the variation is other than a simple second part, and I have accordingly printed it below the minuet as an optional accompaniment.
Jean-Daniel Forget's site has the sonatas and partitas - it doesn't seem to be among them.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:04 pm

Weed wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:26 am
perhaps the commonest Falckenhagen piece arranged for guitar to be found on YouTube is a simple Minuet, usually in E major, but sometimes in D major -- does anyone know which set of pieces it comes from? -- Wikipedia lists his works as 6 Sonatas, 6 Partitas and a Prelude but gives no details -- looking through the track listings on Amazon hasn't helped either
Is this the Minuet to which you refer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ7FLDWGQPI?

I happily listened to all of the minuets from Flackenhagen's Op. 4 "6 Concerti for flute, lute and cello" and I can say that none of the minuets cross referenced with the above link. However, Op. 4 is quite enjoyable and I would happily listen to all of the Op. 4 minuets again if helpful.
Andrew Arriaga

Board of Directors, Classical Revolution PDX
Guitar Instructor, Suzuki Stumptown
Music Editor, OCP

Weed

Post by Weed » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:40 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:17 am
It appears as a duet arrangement in Frederick Noad's Baroque Guitar.
many thanks -- i don't know my Noad as well as i should :) that explains the duo versions i've heard
musicbyandy wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:04 pm
Is this the Minuet to which you refer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ7FLDWGQPI?
... However, Op. 4 is quite enjoyable...
yes, that's the one -- i've only just discovered Adam Falckenhagen, and look forward to listening to Op 4

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:14 pm

Weed wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:40 pm
pogmoor wrote:
many thanks -- i don't know my Noad as well as i should :) that explains the duo versions i've heard
musicbyandy wrote:
yes, that's the one -- i've only just discovered Adam Falckenhagen, and look forward to listening to Op 4
The D Major Concerto is the only one I've ever seen in print.
Andrew Arriaga

Music Editor, OCP

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:18 pm

Weed wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:40 pm
pogmoor wrote:
musicbyandy wrote:
I also recommend Karl Kohaut & Bernhard Joachim Hagen if you enjoy late Baroque lute music.
Andrew Arriaga

Music Editor, OCP

Weed

Post by Weed » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:54 pm

musicbyandy wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:18 pm
I also recommend Karl Kohaut & Bernhard Joachim Hagen if you enjoy late Baroque lute music.
many thanks for your suggestions -- i'll follow them up -- it took me years to appreciate lute, archlute, theorbo and baroque guitar, eventually getting hooked in via Weiss and de Visée, and a realisation of the importance of the performer's interpretation in bringing it to life, especially the scope for improvisation, flourishes and ornaments

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:27 pm

Have a look here: http://jdf.luth.pagesperso-orange.fr. There's a lot of music in tablature and staff notation from well-known and less well-known baroque lutenists.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Weed

Post by Weed » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:21 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:27 pm
Have a look here: http://jdf.luth.pagesperso-orange.fr.
thanks - will do!

Return to “Public Space”