Having more than one guitar

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Seter

Re: Having more than one guitar

Post by Seter » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:57 pm

The more guitars you have, the less frequently you have to change strings, or at least that's one good excuse to buy another.

simonm

Post by simonm » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:07 pm

Seter wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:57 pm
or at least that's one good excuse to buy another.
But only if the new guitar has new strings. ;-)

Mike Atkinson

Post by Mike Atkinson » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:40 pm

My guitar does not have the high c fret.
Nor does it have a seventh, eighth, ninth, or tenth string.
I have not yet found any of this limiting the repertoire available to me and that I wish to play.
However ....
2018 Cordoba Esteso Cedar

razz

Post by razz » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:56 pm

I have 3 classical guitars because it allows be to practice at work, on my Soloette, at my weekend cottage, on the 2nd guitar, and at home on the 1st guitar. Three guitars allow me to have a guitar available when I have time to play without concerning myself with transporting an instrument from place to place. Owning and playing more than one guitar provides me with a practical solution to the problem of making time to practice.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:23 pm

Mollbarre wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:28 pm
BTW - I just justified buying a 3rd guitar. :oops: It's in the mail.
It arrived the other day! I must say - it's very exciting to get a guitar in the mail. :mrgreen: This one is a parlour sized steel string. This model comes in either nylon or steel string. After waffling, I got the steel string because I wanted to see what a steel string was like.

All laminate, in case I end up taking it to outdoor events.

Decent reviews, and not too expensive, so I don't spend too much time worrying about it.

Looks fine - actually better than I thought it would look. Sounds okay from what I can tell. The only surprising thing is its weight. It's much heavier than I thought a little guitar would be. But not uncomfortably heavy.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Tom Phillips

Post by Tom Phillips » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:19 am

muirtan wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:38 am

I remember a concert of William's I went to where he played 2 different guitars. The reason being so that he could have one tuned differently and save having to retune. I think it was 4 strings tuned differently.
Yes, having two guitars is useful if you are performing (or just practicing) a piece with an odd tuning (such as Koyunbaba). Constantly changing between tunings on one guitar is not only inconvenient, but also bad for the strings.

mvp019a

Post by mvp019a » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:00 pm

I have 3 classicals (see below); 2 concerts (one cedar, one spruce) and one $400 level "knock around" that I could take with me on trips and if it got destroyed, it would not be a happy day, but it would not be "guitarmageddon" as would be the case with either of the concert guitars.

However, we won't discuss the electric and steel string situation over here...
Mark

2007 Ignacio Rozas 1A, 2016 Mark Usherovich Traditional Classical, Prudencio Saez Model 34

Return to “Public Space”