Haydn Lute Music

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
musicbyandy

Haydn Lute Music

Post by musicbyandy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:15 am

Has anyone played Haydn's Guitar (lute) Quartet in D Major Op. 2 No. 2 (Hob III: 8) edited by Karl Scheit and published by Doblinger? If so, I'm wondering how the guitar is tuned in this edition and if the guitar is a separate part or does guitar read from the score.

I'm also wondering about the guitar tuning and if there is a separate part in Haydn's Cassation Hob III: 6 and Divertimento in F also from Doblinger and edited by Karl Scheit.

I have the Uitgave Metropolis edition edited by Victor van Puijenbroeck and the guitar is tuned 6th string to D & 3rd string to F#.

Is it realistic to play the Haydn lute music in standard guitar tuning?

Altophile

Re: Haydn Lute Music

Post by Altophile » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:31 pm

musicbyandy wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:15 am
Has anyone played Haydn's Guitar (lute) Quartet in D Major Op. 2 No. 2 (Hob III: 8) edited by Karl Scheit and published by Doblinger? If so, I'm wondering how the guitar is tuned in this edition and if the guitar is a separate part or does guitar read from the score.

I'm also wondering about the guitar tuning and if there is a separate part in Haydn's Cassation Hob III: 6 and Divertimento in F also from Doblinger and edited by Karl Scheit.

I have the Uitgave Metropolis edition edited by Victor van Puijenbroeck and the guitar is tuned 6th string to D & 3rd string to F#.

Is it realistic to play the Haydn lute music in standard guitar tuning?
I'm glad you posted this, as I had no idea that Haydn wrote for lute! Sorry I can't help you, but thanks for helping me :D

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:21 pm

Altophile wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:31 pm
I'm glad you posted this, as I had no idea that Haydn wrote for lute! Sorry I can't help you, but thanks for helping me :D
I don't think Haydn did write for the lute. The Lute Quartet in D is an arrangement by unknown hands of Haydn's String Quartet Op 2 no.2 Several other Haydn string works were arranged in the same way. Jakob Lindberg has recorded "Haydn: Complete Works for Lute and Strings".
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:04 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:21 pm
Altophile wrote:
I don't think Haydn did write for the lute. The Lute Quartet in D is an arrangement by unknown hands of Haydn's String Quartet Op 2 no.2 Several other Haydn string works were arranged in the same way. Jakob Lindberg has recorded "Haydn: Complete Works for Lute and Strings".
Interesting, thanks for clarifying:-)

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:38 pm

Doblinger responded to my inquiry and here are the results:

Haydn: Guitar (lute) Quartet in D Major Op. 2 No. 2 (Hob III: 8) edited by Karl Scheit
Guitar String 6 is tuned to D, there are 4 separate parts and a score

Haydn: Cassation Hob III: 6 edited by Karl Scheit
There are 3 separate parts – the guitar part includes the violin and cello lines above

Haydn: Divertimento in F edited by Karl Scheit.
There are 3 separate parts – the guitar part includes the violin and cello lines below

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:54 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:21 pm
Altophile wrote:
I don't think Haydn did write for the lute....
This is correct; Hayden wrote nothing for lute.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:05 pm

How do people feel about playing the Haydn Lute Quartet in D Major versus the original E Major? I've never been able to find a version for guitar in E Major. I wonder if when guitarists play it in E Major if guitarists read from the original E Major edition.

Return to “Public Space”